Callaway RAZR Fit Xtreme Driver - THP Preview & Review Thread

I really don't know about the headcover piping to be honest as it comes with udesign.

Is that a little finger pull on the top of the headcover?

Yes it's trivial but it's important too!

Yes it is.

I guess one question remains is that will there now be a Tour Authentic Extreme coming out a few months after this one with more "greeness"?

I would guess not, only because with the range of customization allowed through udesign I don't know what they could do besides have a TA that was a color you couldn't get anywhere else. I understand the shaft offering and club head design could vary slightly, but with the dual shaft offerings I would doubt they'd throw in a third. But you never know!!

This is a minor dislike with the new driver, and Callaway drivers in general, but they always seem to have some God awful looking design in the middle of the face.

It's ironic that you say that. I notice that too on certain clubs. I loved the one on the Octane, but didn't really like any of the X ones or the ones from last year's models. None of them really look cheap to me. That's reserved for the Nike ones.

JB: Nice write up. I'm glad they got the sound right. The Fit wasn't a good Fit for me, but maybe the Extreme is better.

I will say this. I don't like the name. It comes from my dislike off all things XTREME and the "go big or go home" attitude of the X-Games crowd.

I will say this. I don't like the name. It comes from my dislike off all things XTREME and the "go big or go home" attitude of the X-Games crowd.

I have always been a part of the x games crowd, and I find the name hokey as well. I feel the same way about some other recent offerings as well. Particularly from Tmag

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Great write up JB. This sounds great and I am excited for this one with a little deeper face because I usually miss towards the top of the face as well.

I was hoping you would touch a little more on the shafts. I know the black tie is a low launching low spinning beast but I am not to sure what the trinity characteristics are. Any thoughts there?

Someone asked if you could purchase the dual cog for this driver and the answer is yes. It's somewhere around a $20 additional charge, but you can custom order the driver through them with the dual cog that was on the RAZR Fit Tour Authentic if you wish.

Last edited:
Time for a little testing update. I have spent 3 range sessions with this Xtreme Driver now and 2 of the 3 hit quite a bit of golf balls. Let me start with a few thoughts on the looks of the driver. It looks outstanding. In a day when every driver is screaming at you from the minute you pull it out of the bag, this one looks as if it has pure evil written all over it. Classic in design at setup, yet extremely modern when the headcover comes off and you take a look at the sole.

When I test drivers, I go to the very end of the range and pay very close attention to the 1st 2 swings. That is when feel/sound for me is really identified and before the ears become accustom to the differing noise from what you are currently playing. I am happy to report that Callaway got it right. They have for a few drivers now pertaining to sound and I know it is something that they take careful consideration to. It has a solid "thwack" that is neither muted nor obnoxious. Deep in sound compared to the high pitch screech of others on the market and yet not artificially muted that can wreak havoc on differentiating the good from the bad. I can say it again, they got it right.

Ball Flight
Working with the two shafts, I definitely noticed a better ball flight for me with the Trinity shaft. The Black Tie was a low boring ball flight while the Trinity was mid launch that worked its way up in the air for something that I look for in launch. The Black Tie is definitely a stout offering, but the company offering two standard options should make basic fitting quite easy.

Distance
Time will tell on this one for me. I have yet to put it on the monitor, but will be in the coming week. The distance is there. The ball flies and I can without a doubt tell you that it is in no way shorter than what I have hit. Is it longer? On the range, it is too hard to measure accurately, but that will be coming soon. I hit a few where I had that moment where you stand on the range and say "where the heck did that come from" and I immediately got excited. So that part is there.

Comparison To The Past
I played the RAZR Hawk during the Morgan Cup two years ago. I thought it was one of the best sounding drivers I had played that year and enjoyed it moderately. It was too shallow for what I like in a driver. I enjoyed the RAZR Fit last year and thought it was one of the best options out there for golfers. I have now tested this and can safely say that this is my favorite of the 3 drivers over the last few years. Not only does it have that great sound/feel that I like, it seems to be a slightly deeper option than what I have played. Definitely deeper than the RAZR Hawk, and I will work on getting some comparison pictures to the Fit to see if it is indeed deeper than that as well. My assumption is that it is and could be one of the reasons I like it. My driver miss in the past has been high on the club face and the deeper clubs seem to offer a bit more forgiveness in that aspect. This seems to fit the bill. I should tell people that many teams a deeper club face can lead to lower spin models, so fitting should be at the top of your request list to make sure you are dialed in.

Performance & Forgiveness
The performance I have touched on is there. It has everything I want in a driver. The bigger questions for me is the forgiveness and I answered that pretty well out on the range. Higher on the club face seemed to soar just as hitting it on the "button". Something I have only seen from a few drivers in the past and a feature that I really like when done right. Laterally the forgiveness is untested for me. I missed one or two shots about a quarter of an inch towards the toe and the ball flight seemed fine and what was expected.

What I am seeing is a driver when hit well that has everything going for it. Thank you Callaway for not changing the shaft hosel adapter. A big plus for people like us that test clubs and a huge plus for avid golfers that like to tinker with shafts. It also makes shaft fitting that much easier. It will get some further testing this weekend and next week including on the course and launch monitor activity. For now, I can safely say that this is the best Callaway driver I have hit in quite some time.

Gah looks like I'm upgrading!!

Someone asked if you could purchase the dual cog for this driver and the answer is yes. It's somewhere around a $20 additional charge, but you can custom order the driver through us with the dual cog that was on the RAZR Fit Tour Authentic if you wish.

I don't understand. I can order this through THP or are you relaying an email? Sorry for skim

Someone asked if you could purchase the dual cog for this driver and the answer is yes. It's somewhere around a $20 additional charge, but you can custom order the driver through them with the dual cog that was on the RAZR Fit Tour Authentic if you wish.

Good to know. I think I like the idea of making smaller adjustments.

Nice Write up JB, it's no secret how much I love the Razr Fit, but if it had one downfall it was the face was too shallow....and now you are saying they have taken care of that...I am loving this....I can't wait to get my hands on one to try it out....especially if it's providing extra distance!

Can't wait to see what you find out once you get it on the LM!

Good info JB. Interesting that you liked the Hawk but prefer the Xtreme. I've really liked my Hawk's performance after going through two other drivers this past year, but on the basis of your review of the Xtreme, it appears I'm really going to have to swing one (LH) when opportunity presents itself to see if I need to move up. Thanks.

JB, I noticed that this driver has taken the place of the Classic in your bag. Is this just a change for testing purposes, or will it be a full-time switch?

JB, I noticed that this driver has taken the place of the Classic in your bag. Is this just a change for testing purposes, or will it be a full-time switch?

For now its testing, but I am full bore into it. It will be in the bag exclusively during testing and if it is anything like the recent range sessions, it may see a spot for a while. Time will tell on that though as I have yet to try out quite a bit of the 2013 lines.

For now its testing, but I am full bore into it. It will be in the bag exclusively during testing and if it is anything like the recent range sessions, it may see a spot for a while. Time will tell on that though as I have yet to try out quite a bit of the 2013 lines.

Now this intrigues me. Because its like you said in here earlier and we talked about in Iowa, you were a 2012 Razr Fit fan. This one has my attention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I figured that might be the case because there is a lot of 2013 product coming down the pike in the near future. That said, you don't change out equipment a ton in terms of your permanent bag slots (at least from what I can see), so that's what was interesting to me.

I figured that might be the case because there is a lot of 2013 product coming down the pike in the near future. That said, you don't change out equipment a ton in terms of your permanent bag slots (at least from what I can see), so that's what was interesting to me.

You are correct about that, I try not to change very often and it must give me better results in terms of black and white numbers.

I don't always hit new clubs, but when I do, I tell THP!!

I want one so bad it's not even funny. Def gotta go with the trinity shaft but i'd like to hit both shafts.

The twitter pic of the headcover made the hairs on the back of my neck stand

post-39-035018700%201352732772.jpg

This driver is just shouting on me to hit it and love it. Sounds like it may be backing up the claims, on early reports.

Just saw a tweet from Chad showing a red udesign Xtreme:

A7xFqZKCAAADkDN.png:large

Back