Thanksgiving 2012 thread

Thanks to my lovely University, I still have to go to class Monday and Tuesday. And thanks to my place of work, I have to work Thanksgiving night. I hope I don't have to work Black Friday.

Yuck. We have class Monday and Tuesday but since I only have one class Tuesday afternoon I'm skipping it and going home early.

Every year I look forward to the cooking. Waking up at 4 to get the pie started. Getting the turkey in the oven at just the right time. My wife just told me we are going to friends house. Otherwise known as her friends house. Oh they don't watch football? This sounds awesome. I'm looking forward to getting angry drunk that day

Yuck. We have class Monday and Tuesday but since I only have one class Tuesday afternoon I'm skipping it and going home early.

I've never quite understood Clemson's schedule around the holidays. Always classes the week of thanksgiving, and exams well into December.

I vividly remember having an exam on 12/23 my freshman year. I also seem to recall a class on the Wednesday before thanksgiving, but it may have been a Tuesday. Either way, there were about 1/4 of the class there. Ridiculous.

We'll have a thanksgiving gathering for about 18 at my sister-in-laws. She'll be doing a turkey, and my mother-in-law will be doing a small ham. Each family also brings a side item. I'll be smoking a pork butt for BBQ & I'll also be doing Honey-Dill Carrots.

Smalls, that onion recipe sounds awesome. Will have to give that a try sometime.

Our menu is officially set:

Turkey
Apple, sage and sausage stuffing
Goat cheese and chive mashed potatoes
4 cheese Mac 'n cheese
Cornbread casserole
Creamed spinach
Homemade biscuits
Cranberry sauce
Florida orange dream cake

I wanted to make an apple pie but JB loves Florida orange dream cake. I may make a mini apple pie or something, thanksgiving just isn't the same without pie.

This is my absolutely favorite meal to cook. I look forward to it all year.

Dream cake is phenomenal. Those mashed potatoes sound incredible as well.

Kind of crazy to think its just for the 2 of us.

Our menu is officially set:

Turkey
Apple, sage and sausage stuffing
Goat cheese and chive mashed potatoes
4 cheese Mac 'n cheese
Cornbread casserole
Creamed spinach
Homemade biscuits
Cranberry sauce
Florida orange dream cake

I wanted to make an apple pie but JB loves Florida orange dream cake. I may make a mini apple pie or something, thanksgiving just isn't the same without pie.

This is my absolutely favorite meal to cook. I look forward to it all year.

I would suggest attempting caramelized onions. It's easy and awesome!

I don't mind goat cheese but we use honey goat cheese on some menu items and its unreal.

Oh, that sounds really good too! If something has goat cheese in it, I will eat it, I love it.

I would suggest attempting caramelized onions. It's easy and awesome!

Haha, pimpin' the caramelized onions. : ) They do sound amazing, I am definitely stealing that recipe for a meal.

Ok i have to know what is "Florida orange dream cake" it sounds awsome!!!!

Ok i have to know what is "Florida orange dream cake" it sounds awsome!!!!

It's amazing! It's an old school cake, a lot of senior citizens are familiar with it. It's basically yellow cake made with some orange juice in it and then an orange infused cream cheese frosting. The frosting is the best part, I always put a small bit aside and eat it plain. It has cream cheese, confectioners sugar and orange marmalade in it.

Then you can garnish it however you like, I put mini white chocolate chips on it.

It's super easy to make.

Lord have mercy! I love that cake, its the one that will make me pass by red velvet.

You have my address right, on second thought my mailman likes cake. FedEx it!

Mrs SAM makes absolutely the best turkey stuffing on the planet - but once again this year I will have to go without it. Sometime around 8 years or so back Mrs SAM 'retired' her Thanksgiving apron. I can hardly blame her since I always had to work the holiday (which got me Christmas off), and wasn't around to help her with all the work involved. For all but one of the years since, we have eaten out on Thanksgiving - the only real drawback (besides none of Mrs SAM's stuffing) has been the no leftovers. Last year we got the Publix turkey dinner, which was actually pretty good. A decision between those two options (eat out or Publix) has not yet been reached for 2012, but I am pretty sure those are the options since there is no big bird crowding the freezer as yet.

th

I will make my fine pecan pies for Thanksgiving at least - I have a bag of pecans ready to crack!

could you post the recipe my wife sounds interested to. THANKS maybe she will make it tonight hahaha...YUM..

could you post the recipe my wife sounds interested to. THANKS maybe she will make it tonight hahaha...YUM..

Sure. To make it easier I use boxed yellow cake mix, but she can make the yellow cake from scratch too. I found because of the extras added to it, you can't really taste much of a difference.

For the Cake:
1 (18.25 oz) package yellow cake mix
1 cup orange juice (no pulp)
3 eggs
1/3 cup water
1/3 cup vegetable oil

For the Frosting:
1 (8oz) package cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup butter, softened
4 tablespoons orange marmalade (the original recipe called for 1 tablespoon but that didn't give it enough orange flavor for me, so I use about 4 sometimes more, just keep tasting it until it tastes right to you)
3 cups powdered sugar

Directions:
1.) Preheat oven to 350* & grease a 13"x9" glass baking dish (although I personally prefer to make it a layer cake and I use 2 round pans instead and then stack the cakes with extra frosting in the middle, the frosting is that good!)
2.) FOR THE CAKE: in a large mixing bowl, combine cake mix, orange juice, eggs, water and oil.
3.) Beat on low speed for 30 second, then for 2 minutes on medium.
4.) Pour into baking dish (or dishes) and bake 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.
5.) Cool to room temp. on wire rack
6.) FOR THE FROSTING: In a small mixing bowl (I use my Kitchen Aid stand mixer) beat cream cheese and butter until smooth.
7.) Add marmalade and powdered sugar and beat well.
8.) Spread over cake, then store in refrigerator until ready to serve.

You can garnish it however you would like. As I mentioned I put mini white chocolate chips around the outside and make a fun design with it on top. If you like coconut I think that would taste really good on there too, it's totally up to your personal taste.

Thats sounds amazing Morgan. I am going to just secretly text it to my wife....hopefully she gets the hint...haha

Thats sounds amazing Morgan. I am going to just secretly text it to my wife....hopefully she gets the hint...haha

It's so easy to make, even if you make the cake from scratch (sometimes I do, sometimes I don't, just depends on my mood). Just remember to keep tasting the frosting to make sure it has the right amount of orange for you, I like a good orange flavor.

Someone needs to send me some Florida oranges :drool:

GG, do you ever put Orange zest in the mix? There's an older lady here that makes it both ways, same with the key lime cake.

Back