Private Club Decisions

TheWookie

Reaction score
Handicap
SO I am looking at a couple different clubs that are offering good junior executive family deals. I have a pretty nice set up at my public course but it just isnt the same. I see the private side as opportunities for both business, family, and golf related. Public golf has just become too crowded and long. I have a club in my backyard that isnt my favorite track and it is a long way from my office (45 mins) so weekday chances to get out are slim. The course down the street from my office is a great deal, a awesome course and a perfect club setting. I know I will have the time during the work day to stop by the club and eat, practice, get a few holes in, etc. The down side is that weekends with the kids will be a longer drive to the club. With sports and kiddie activities it will make weekend mornings nearly impossible anyway but afternoons are usually open and public courses are way too crowded. Anyone been in my position from a golf and business standpoint?

There are a number of things you have to look at and my experience has been that you'll miss some of the things that end up being important.

Weekday golf and practice was one of the things I enjoyed most about the club I joined. Being able to scoot over there and just jump on was great. Weekend golf was so-so. There was a protocol with who played when and I never really felt at home their. I like sunrise golf, but often had to settle with playing with a bunch of strangers that were all best friends. Can't say I liked that.

I'll say it again - Having the course close to me for after-work golf and practice was incredibly valualble. That's the one thing I think I'll miss the most since I'm not joining next year.

I think you should try the private club at least for six months. We loved our public course as it was close to our home and not crowded. We had many friends whom we have known for years. Awesome place however we moved to another location. The club we are members at now, is not strictly private, as it takes Golf Now bookings and member guests etc. It's a semi private "CC" with all the private club perks. The funny thing is, KellyBo and I have not dined there yet and have not used any of the other activities offered. Just golf however when the summer get's back, we may go to the Thursday night cookouts by the pool, etc. One thing that I really miss is not being able to dress more casual. The standing rule is, you're suppose to wear clothes that compare to the pro shop inventory which imo sucks. I miss my overalls :D

I am in the uk, so might be a different question here...but my experience has been that you should pick a golf course for the golf stuff, the most important one being the ability to get there! I would pick the course that gives you the most opportunity to play when you want to play. There are plenty of other ways to network for business - although over here, most members talk about anything other than business!

All great questions and really you are the only one that can answer them. But it sounds like you need some flexibility with a club in regards to work and your kiddos schedule. Also if the public course is starting to cause slow play or can't get a tee time when you want then a private club usually gives you exactly that. But check them out first and let them know what you are looking for in a club and have them answer some of those questions for you. Good Luck!!

thanks for the feedback. One other factor is that we have close friends looking into social membership at the far away club so that gives us a reason to look at things other than golf. Golf is the main draw for me. I know it is not cool to go to a club and be a business vulture, but I know there are weekday games that attract some of the better players that are good networking opportunities. Around here, there are a lot of invitationals at very nice clubs for the low handicap players at private clubs and they are some of the best amateur tournaments around. They do not invite public players (even high end public players...lame I know). Ever since I left the golf business I have wanted to be on the other side of the counter. This could be the best opportunity.

thanks for the feedback. One other factor is that we have close friends looking into social membership at the far away club so that gives us a reason to look at things other than golf. Golf is the main draw for me. I know it is not cool to go to a club and be a business vulture, but I know there are weekday games that attract some of the better players that are good networking opportunities. Around here, there are a lot of invitationals at very nice clubs for the low handicap players at private clubs and they are some of the best amateur tournaments around. They do not invite public players (even high end public players...lame I know). Ever since I left the golf business I have wanted to be on the other side of the counter. This could be the best opportunity.
Think you answered your own question then.

I am in a very similar situation/dilemma. I have been a member at a semi-private club for four years. It is by far the best course in the area and host to the Michigan Open. It is close to the house and the price for the membership is reasonable, if you can get out and play. Last year, they decided to participate in Group Golfer and sold over 3,500 vouchers. They also decided to have leagues four nights a week and they used to only have leagues twice a week. I will definitely not be going back there, but I am torn between a full private club, and rolling the dice that another semi-private will put me in the same situation. I am looking at an extra $2k per year to go to a full private club, but I should be able to get out with no problem, and I will be gaining pool and tennis access. The course isn't quite as nice, the location is a little further from home, and it's going to cost more. With all of that being said, I will no longer experience six hour rounds and I can play golf more in line with my schedule. The private club also frowns on Megadeth t-shirts, cut-off jean shorts, and bringing your own Busch Light from home, so the client base should contain more people who respect the condition of their course.

If it were me I'd go with the closer to work route, only because if it's a weekend round it's easier to plan out a longer period of time to dedicate to the round.

Think you answered your own question then.

Just like Nate said, I think the benefits are there for you at the private club. The same thing has been on my mind since I had a discussion with a guy at the holiday party for my wife's company. He's a member of a club around here, and he told me about how whenever he plays at a course other than his club, it's almost always at another private club because of reciprocity. I'm a public course golfer up here, and the access that he has and who he gets to come in contact with via those clubs is so much different than my experiences.

In terms of the distance side of things, distance from home would be my priority as compared to distance from work. The majority of my time is at home, so it would need to be convenient. For me, it seems like finding an affordable club within 30 minutes of where I live up here is a pipe dream, so I'll be sticking with the public courses for a while.

It's different in the UK, since we don't have the weather for swimming or tennis then it kinda makes your decision easier, you choose the club which suits your budget and the course you like. We probably pay the same prices as you would with the swimming, tennis etc

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I'm at a private club now. The only thing I miss about the other places I played are the people that I played with. The private course I'm at now is perfect. I love the tournaments that they have, the ability to go out and play when I want or just go out and hit balls. The social activities are also great. I would recommend joining one, but I would join for more than just the golf.

Private all the way, I play at Glen Maura National in Northeast, Pa! The Nationwide Tour use to come there and the facilities are unreal and nicest course in my area by far and is only 2800 a yr. Only thing I do not like is the no walking til after 3. I only like to walk and thats a big drawback. I also live by a top 100 courses rated by Golf digest that is a private club and they ranked it 5th in the state but I was not impressed with their club and prices were higher and practice facilites not as good. Practice facilities to me is one of the most important thing and that their range balls are not all cut up ruining your forged irons and marking and scratching them all up. I have a great walking course a mile away from me but they are kind of odd there and didnt seem to want my membership?!? I was confused as the GM never would get back with me after I tried my practice round. I also only like playing by myself or known people that are friends! Public courses like the how nice the clubs I am talking are 80 a round to play on and I can play 20 rounds of golf a month easy. The membership is way more worth it and I do not like somebody telling me I have to pair up with someone

I recently joined a private club that's very close to work, but a good 30 - 40 minutes from my home. I thought about it for a few months and decided to join and have loved it thus far. I'm able to get out and play much more frequently during the week and the course is empty. I'd rather have that set up and sacrifice a longer drive from home, when I actually go from there. But I love being able to go out and get in practice, a few holes, more holes, etc. at the drop of a hat and if need be, go back to work afterwards. Also, if I need to use the club for business, I'm having them show up some where close to the office, which helps.

Back