SCOR Wedge Review Thread - THP Forum Testing

Have 3 rounds in with the 53 and 57. So far I haven't noticed anything spectacular over the spin milled Vokeys I had before compared to these. The Scors seem to put more spin on the ball, but that could just be from new grooves vs. year old grooves on the Vokeys. I do like the weight of the Scors over the Vokeys and haven't had a bad sand shot yet with them. Believe I am 4/4 over 3 rounds for sand saves.

When people start testing these, do any of you have experience with Eidolon in the past and be able to compare/contrast?

I've never hit any Eidolon clubs. Sorry.

I was able to pick up my Scor wedges at UPS yesterday afternoon. No photos yet, but bmik33 has done a great job showing you what they look like. My setup has the same lofts as his set - 44, 48, 52, 56 and 60. Mine have the Genius 10 (lightweight steel) in regular flex, plus 1/4 inch and 1 degree up in lie angle. That matches my R11 irons which are also +1/4 and 1 degree up, with the KBS Tour 90 shafts in regular flex.

I'm excited to have a series of wedges that are all matched, and with what will be a seamless transition from my irons with respect to swing feel.

I checked out the clubs last night at home after work, and had an interesting experience. Holding each of the wedges in series, from 44 to 60 degree, I mentally removed myself from my living room and placed myself out on the golf course and imagined distances and shots I'd play with each - in pretty vivid detail. I've had some terrific shots with my Scor 53 I've played for a few months, and to envision similar results with FIVE Scor wedges has me just itching to go give them a try.

Man those are great looking wedges. I will own some of these one day! Can't wait to hear about how you guys fair with 'em!

Very classic looking wedges. No frills, just straight craftsmanship. Hope they play as good as they look. I also really enjoyed the "Congratulations" letter from the company present. Nice touch.

I'm also interested to hear what you guys have to say about these wedges. I'm not in love with my current set up. After reading the first page I went to the website to get their fitting recommendation. It gives me something to think about while ya'll do some testing.

I received my wedges today and let me say that the presentation is great. The box that they come with is laid out nicely and the bag tag, divot tool, Lamkin Performance Plus wedge grips and letter from SCOR are all touches that add to the experience. Even the headcovers are nice although I probably will not use them once the new wedge smell is gone since the lofts are not on there. I will be testing the 43*, 47*, 51*, 55*, and 59* with the Genius 12 shaft from KBS in firm flex. I'll cover a few of the things separate from bmik33 that I noticed.

First of all, the 9 iron has a bit more of a noticable indention (sort of a cavity, I guess) than my highest wedge. The indention gets noticably smaller the higher the loft. I took some pictures to try and show this, but it is a bit hard to see the cavity. These pictures do not really show anything at all, but the cavity that is directly on the SCOR logo is rather noticeable in person. I'm not sure if this is to spread the weighting around, or not, but it was just something different when the clubs are actually in hand.

43* cavity
Spoiler
IMAG0072_zpsb0439e3b.jpg

59* lack of cavity
Spoiler
IMAG0070_zps273295b3.jpg

There are not huge differences face-wise between my current irons and the SCOR irons. The leading edge on the SCOR wedge is a bit more bowled out on the bottom than my AP2s, but other than that, they are very similar.

43* compared to Titleist AP2 710 9-iron
Spoiler
IMAG0068_zpseacfb0ea.jpg

Similar to the irons, the SCOR 55* is very similar to my current wedge. The SCOR has 2 less grooves, and the area where the hosel meets the face is a bit smaller too, but I do not see this being a big deal. The face on my 588 seems a tad bigger at first glance, but the SCOR is a bit more aesthetically pleasing.

55* compared to Cleveland 588 56*
Spoiler
IMAG0073_zpsd3a63ea8.jpg

I will be out of town from tomorrow morning until Sunday evening, but I am looking forward to getting these out around the greens on Monday. I am excited to test these out and I cannot thank SCOR and THP enough for the opporunity!

Great first reviews so far guys.....glad to see everyone getting them and getting started.

Any testers get some rounds in with the wedges yet? I haven't gotten to hit mine yet but I am curious to see some spin information. Personally I am not much of a spin player but with new wedges this could change.

As soon as I receive mine I'm going straight to the course! I can't wait!

I really am excited to hear you guys thoughts on these when you get to rolling. I know for me I'd be dumb to stray from them, having the 49/53/57 combo in the bag again after some other testing has been blissful.

I really am excited to hear you guys thoughts on these when you get to rolling. I know for me I'd be dumb to stray from them, having the 49/53/57 combo in the bag again after some other testing has been blissful.

jman whats your take on the vsole compared to the atv sole

jman whats your take on the vsole compared to the atv sole

Having taken the ATV's out on the course thanks to the pro where I play and tried them head to head, its not even close for me, and I wanted to like the ATV's. For me the V-sole is much sharper than the wider and duller dual sole of the ATV and therefore it was just alot less clunky and much more effective. Now, I credit TM for trying to "mimmick" what the V-Sole does but as such its still not the same as SCOR's patented sole.

Some more info on the V-Sole: http://www.scorgolf.com/patented-v-sole/

I hope I don't come off as a salesman, that's not my intent. The ATV's were ok and work ok IMO, the SCOR's are just much more effective on the dual bounce front. I literally don't worry about lies any more, its all distance and I pick the right wedge for that without worrying about one having too much bounce for hardpan or too little for the rough/sand.

Having taken the ATV's out on the course thanks to the pro where I play and tried them head to head, its not even close for me, and I wanted to like the ATV's. For me the V-sole is much sharper than the wider and duller dual sole of the ATV and therefore it was just alot less clunky and much more effective. Now, I credit TM for trying to "mimmick" what the V-Sole does but as such its still not the same as SCOR's patented sole.

Some more info on the V-Sole: http://www.scorgolf.com/patented-v-sole/

I hope I don't come off as a salesman, that's not my intent. The ATV's were ok and work ok IMO, the SCOR's are just much more effective on the dual bounce front. I literally don't worry about lies any more, its all distance and I pick the right wedge for that without worrying about one having too much bounce for hardpan or too little for the rough/sand.

thats some good info my biggest problem with the atv's compared to my vokeys before was i chunk alot of chips and pitchs now that i never did before also on harder sand its easier to get out of but on the real fluffy crap its fat city and still in the beach

I'm waiting for the Dallas golf event costs to be announced so I know whether I can buy a SCOR 54 or 55 for my bag.

Hot, have you hit a score wedge yet?
And just curious you seem to be pulling the Mashie F3 and the M3 out of the bag curious why you would pull those? and you are down to 10 clubs in the bag, also curious what you are using for a sand wedge?

Sadly last weekend I put a gouge in my gorgeous Scor 57*. I'm a bit gutted about it. Was in a gully and did not see any rocks. Took a swing and instantly felt the rock lol. My poor Scor

Sadly last weekend I put a gouge in my gorgeous Scor 57*. I'm a bit gutted about it. Was in a gully and did not see any rocks. Took a swing and instantly felt the rock lol. My poor Scor

Look at it as character Chunky. Now you can take solace in not needing to fear dinging it on any other shots. I know that wont help much, but it's all I've got for ya!

Haha thanks Jman. During the round I shrugged it off and kept going. Heck, I think 2 holes later I hit a shot off of a bed of rocks(hard course!!). But now looking at it the past week while doing some mirror work and I hate it!

Haha thanks Jman. During the round I shrugged it off and kept going. Heck, I think 2 holes later I hit a shot off of a bed of rocks(hard course!!). But now looking at it the past week while doing some mirror work and I hate it!

They're true workhorses brother, I've never played wedges that I truly believe that like I do with these. Now if I can just keep begging and convince them in doing a raw set for me!!!

Hot, have you hit a score wedge yet?
And just curious you seem to be pulling the Mashie F3 and the M3 out of the bag curious why you would pull those? and you are down to 10 clubs in the bag, also curious what you are using for a sand wedge?

Nope have never even seen one except in photos here.
Pulled the M3 and F3 because I hit the M2 and 4 so long I don't need them. Making way for some wedges.
Current SW is a POS Adams A1, absolutely hate that club lol.

I was able to get out this morning for a quick round, so here are a few thoughts about my experiences with the wedges today. I played a shorter course than normal since I was playing with my dad and since I could have a few more full shots in to the greens with the new clubs.

These clubs felt much heavier in hand than my old wedges and the shafts are extended by 3/4" since my irons are extended. This took a bit to get used to on fuller shots, so I was not able to gauge my distances too well considering this. After a bit more of practice, I will have more feedback on the fuller shots to the green. Another shot that I played a few times today was the bump and run with the 9-iron. For some reason, I have never had confidence playing that shot with any OEM cavity irons. Maybe it is an aesthetic thing, but most of the ones that I hit today with the 43* were hit solidly and reacted how I expected them to. This opens up a lot of options for me personally as I will have confidence to run the ball the majority of the way to the hole instead of flying it all the way there.

The ground was a bit damp today and the greens were very soft. Regardless, I had crisp contact on just about all of my chips and pitches and was very pleased with the transition between these wedges and my old wedges. I really was not concerned about chunking the shot of thinning it and I had complete confidence over the little touch shots. I could definitely tell that I was playing with new wedges considering the backspin that I was getting, but these wedges did not seem to scuff the covers up at all. The V-sole seemed to almost glide across the turf on chips and it would dig in the right amount on pitch shots and fuller shots. I know the old cliche goes that you should let the weight of the clubhead do the work, but with these wedges you truly can just hinge and go. The club almost accelerates itself sending the ball flying toward the flag. We were trying to beat the rain, so I did not get to work on as many fancy/different shots as I wanted. Most of the shots that I needed to hit today were bare bones, generic golf course chips and pitches.

There were several half and 3/4 shots that I had with my 51 and 55 degree wedges where I could play the hop, stop, and spin. This is a shot that I have not had confidence in for a while since I could not really expect consistency out of my older worn-out wedges. The greens that I were on this morning were very soft, so perhaps that is why this shot worked so well for me. I will make it a point to get out to a course with firmer and faster greens to see if I can get some similar results to the ones that I experienced today.

As far as the full shots go, I was happy with the contact that I was getting, but it was just a bit different playing with wedges that are actually fit to me. I will have to learn to quit slouching over my wedges and will have to re-dial in my distances since the shafts are actually long enough. It is also different for me to have a lob wedge in the bag, since I have rarely used one since I started playing golf. I hit a few lobs with it today, but it was more just for practice than anything. One thing that I like about the weight of the heads is that they feel like they will slice right through deep rough and firm sand; hitting out of softer sand may be a bit of a concern as I hope that the club does not dig too deep, but most of the courses I play around here have firmer, damp sand. I would also like to get a bit more practice out of tightly mowed lies and really test these wedges out. The course that I practice at has a green with tightly mowed areas around it, so I will get out there sometime in the next week (or tomorrow, if the rain holds off).

Anyways, thanks for reading and I will be looking forward to the next time that I can get these out on the course.

Any testers get some rounds in with the wedges yet? I haven't gotten to hit mine yet but I am curious to see some spin information. Personally I am not much of a spin player but with new wedges this could change.

I had hoped to get them before going to Florida for the weekend to test them on firmer ground. I hope they come this week, I will play them immediately but it will be in the sloppy muddy winter conditions. I will be back in Florida in about three weeks for further tests.

Great write up Jank. I'll be curious to hear how these will perform out of the soft sand as well.
Cheers,
Don

Back