Refinishing Putter - NEED HELP/ADVICE

Chicago Lefty

Reaction score
Handicap
So looking for some help/feedback/advice on getting my putter refinished. I have a (Lefty) Cameron Newport TeI3 with insert that I have had forever. I set an overall playing goal for 2012, hit it, and my "reward" to myself was to get my putter refinished. I have looked at a few places, Putter Lounge, BOS, but the one that has really caught my eye is Dreamputters (cannot post link yet as this is my first post but it is dreamputters DOT com) specifically their "Nitro Brown" finish.

Has anyone used this company before? Any feedback? Advice?

Its hard to send the putter away, so I just want to make the best decision possible.

Thanks in advance to all.

B

Last edited:
Checkout BOSGolf as well. I am still debating what to do with one of my pet putters and what shaft/finish to go with, but they will get my business. They have competitive pricing and Bettinardi outsources the Chocolate patina putter finishes to them. I absolutely love that finish btw.

Chop Shop Golf

Give them a look. Eric there does great Cameron work.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk 2

Ever thought about doing it yourself? It will end up cheaper, you'll find it turns out really well if you have any at all skill with a blow torch, paint, etc... And it adds a personal touch that no third party company can ever add. I'd be happy to help with any of the methods I know if you want to go this route. Plenty of other guys on here can help too. Check out the Putter Refinishing Thread.

THPing on Tapatalk

Not familiar with your Scotty but if the insert is a soft insert then no third party company will do anything with it because they do their heated finished in an oven which will melt the insert. You can do it with a blow torch though.

THPing on Tapatalk

It is that Teryllium insert. SO a soft metal. From what I have seen, the remill it/whatever they do to smooth it out again and then reattach. I would try to do it myself but my access and skill with a blowtorch are a little lacking!

It is that Teryllium insert. SO a soft metal. From what I have seen, the remill it/whatever they do to smooth it out again and then reattach. I would try to do it myself but my access and skill with a blowtorch are a little lacking!

If you like the putter that much and have the means get it done professionally.

I'm all for saving money but sometimes it's better to just let the pro's do it.

I agree, I trust the professional more then myself with something like this.Anyone ever heard of dreamputter.com I have looked for some reviews and have not had any luck, but their gallery is pretty impressive.

I was under the impression the Titleist will refinish the Scotty's for free for life? Is that only the case if you bought it new from them or an authorized retailer?

I was under the impression the Titleist will refinish the Scotty's for free for life? Is that only the case if you bought it new from them or an authorized retailer?

i've never heard of that, i don't believe its true...... they do have a custom shop where you can get it refinished if you want it just refinished thats where i would start.

I wish I knew more about that insert and the finish on it. I'd offer to do it for you just for material cost but I don't know enough about that insert and finish to confidently do it.

THPing on Tapatalk

i've never heard of that, i don't believe its true...... they do have a custom shop where you can get it refinished if you want it just refinished thats where i would start.
I don't know it for fact but it is what I was told by a friend that is an assistant pro whom I trust. Because I don't know it for sure I put the question mark. It wouldn't hurt to contact Titleist and ask though.

I don't know it for fact but it is what I was told by a friend that is an assistant pro whom I trust. Because I don't know it for sure I put the question mark. It wouldn't hurt to contact Titleist and ask though.

According to the SC website, the refinishing for a teryllium putter would be 195 USD. They call it restoration, but I suppose it's the same thing.

SC website:

Restoration involves stripping your putter's finish, removing minor scratches, dents and dings, re-milling the face and returning the putter to its original, like-new condition with a restored finish (original or optional Pro Platinum, Black Oxide Mist or Oil Can Mist for $50 extra) and custom or original paintfill. Additionally, we will install a new shaft, shaft band and grip (you may choose to upgrade your grip if you like), and make loft, lie and length adjustments per your request (within reason).

Additionally, the Custom Shop can also personalize your putter with initials and/or name stamping, apply special Custom Shop stamps, mill additional sight dots and/or sight lines, add a headcover, adjust headweight (on applicable models), as well as authenticate your putter.

Restoration

Pride and craftsmanship rule at the Scotty Cameron Custom Shop. With a full Restoration, your putter will be returned to you as good as new (and with some creativity using our Custom Shop options, even better than brand new if you choose to "Pimp Your Putter"). Only Scotty Cameron putters are restored at the Custom Shop. If it has Scotty's name on it, most likely we can restore it. Every putter that arrives at the Custom Shop is evaluated for its ability to be restored. Sometimes putters with extreme wear and tear, rust and pitting can be restored, however we cannot guarantee that every putter we receive can be restored. If yours cannot, we will return it to you.

TEI3/Teryllium Putter Restoration

The Restoration of a TEI3 putter is significantly more labor intensive and involves removing, restoring and replacing the insert. Each insert is specific to the putter, therefore we refinish and restore the exact insert; new inserts are not installed.

Well I pulled the trigger!! My Cameron is on its way to BOS as I type this... I took some before pics and will take some after when I get it back. I payed for the expedited work on it, so hopefully will have it back in a few weeks. Fingers Crossed!!

I got it back!!

I got it back!!

Well I pulled the trigger!! My Cameron is on its way to BOS as I type this... I took some before pics and will take some after when I get it back. I payed for the expedited work on it, so hopefully will have it back in a few weeks. Fingers Crossed!!

Just got my Putter back from BOS, I will post some pictures later - but it looks great!!!!

Honestly, I was VERY impressed with their customer service. Sherry Wallace is the office manager I dealt with at BOS and, being a little nervous about shipping my putter away, I called her when I saw that it got there. She knew which putter it was, had already looked at it, a tech had already looked at it, and then she walked through my entire order form (about 8 pages) to make sure she had all the correct info. I had also called them, and talked with her, before I even submitted my order to ask a bunch of questions and she was great. To throw them even more of curve, I had it shipped back to a different address, and to me it was all seamless. Could not be happier with how sending my putter halfway across the country worked out.

Awesome! I've talked to Sherry about 5x about refinishing my mFGP. I still haven't pulled the trigger but everything you said reinforces my decision to go with them. Just wish the chocolate patina were an option for SS.

Before Pics

Before Pics

Here are some from before

photo_1_zps171c7af0.jpg

photo_2_zps83be58ab.jpg

photo_5_zpsa7c022e2.jpg

photo_51_zps6c6be22b.jpg

photo_31_zpscd4a2511.jpg

Whaaaa that thing was pretty banged up. They did a hell of a job. You can proudly show that off on the course now. How long was the process?

I paid the extra for expedited service, they got it on the 1st, and I got it back yesterday... so pretty quick. Yeah, it was beat up, was in my bag for about 15 yrs, some of it without a head cover... They did an AMAZING job.

That refinish job is phenomenal! That putter is beautiful now. I really like how the new finish still shows a bit of wear as it seems to add a bit of character.

That's awesome! Thanks for sharing the experience

BOS always does fantastic work. Great to deal with for sure.

Back