What do you use your lob wedge for?

I use my 58* in three situations, otherwise it stays in the bag. I might be better served to add another hybrid.

• On a downhill slope around the green. So I am effectively using a 54, GW or PW depending on the slope. This would be probably 80% or more of the use.
  • In a deep sand trap or if I am in the sand but afraid I can't get the 54 out because I am too close to the lip.
  • On a short greenside shot where I am just off the green and the pin isn't too far away. Where I need to get the ball higher, not farther.

I might only use the 58 once or twice a round or even go a few rounds without touching it. I use it more on links style courses where there are more mounds around the greens.

I use my 60 for two things. I use it for wedges shots (30 yards and in) with a short sided pin. I also will occasionally use it from 40 to 60 yards, lie dependent more than anything. I don't use it nearly as much as I figured I would.

With a full swing, my 60 goes 75-90, depending on my setup. I use it for any "feel" shot at shorter yardages and around the green. I have a high-bounce 56 that is my primary sand wedge, but I'll use the 60 if I'm behind a steep lip. Some days, I'll use the 60 ON the green, when my putter is off :)

I typically use my 58 for anything 50 yards and in..love that club

Thanks for the replies. Please keep them coming. I understand that everyone has their own preferences, but I was curious hear the replies. I'm thinking of adjusting my wedge set up and trying to gather as much information as possible before making a move.

Almost all shots from less than 70 yds or so. Sometimes around the green or from 50-70 yds I will use a 56* if I have plenty of green to work with.

Several have said either they have trouble either chili dipping it, catching it thin or they prefer something in the mid 50s for green side work because it's more consistent. Not trying to be a smart as, but why is that? Is the 60 harder to hit because of the loft, the low bounce most have, or what? I'm certainly no pro, but on tv I always here Faldo saying to use the 54(which I guess is what he caries) for the green side work, but most of them are chipping with their 60, or whatever their most lofted club is.

This time of year its pretty much delegated to snow removal, although the 56* gets a little better distance clearing longer walk ways.

Flying over bunkers and obstacles to tight pins or down hill lies. I get a lot of comments about my 64º, but they all turn around when I pull off a nice shot with it.

I carry a lob wedge but wasn't really using it before. Lately, I've been using it on greenside bunkers. Ball flies out high and tends to stick instead of running.

Normally, anything within 60 yards. Will sometimes try a bump-and-run with a different club, but normally turns out worse than if I'd used the 60 degree.

Just today I thought about dropping my third wedge. I used to have 52, 56, 60. I used 52 for 100-110. 56 for 100 full or less. 60 for sand and lobs.

My new setup is 50, 54, and 58. I have been practicing more with 54 including my warm up shot at the range. I have gotten so used to this degree and working various shots including flop and sand. I will have to play a round without 58 and see if I miss it at all. Then I will have to decide to replace it with another stick and I don't know what I would replace - it just means I have an excuse to get another hybrid.

Full shots, less than full shots inside your full swing distance, chipping, sand shots?
I guess what I'm asking is do you automatically go to it if you are at or inside your full lob wedge distance, or do your pitching/chipping with another club?
In my current set up is 55* is my most lofted wedge. Wondering what I may be missing by not having a 60*? I have done my chipping and pitching with both my 50* and 55* but lately have been doing most all of it with the 55*

Don't have one. I go 48 52 56. No reason for me to have that wedge. All it does is make me want to hit flop shots. Which make me chip back on to the free from the other side

I use my 60* whenever I want to dig a huge hole in the middle of a fairway!
Tried it on the range and it was a dream, covered the sort of distance where I fall apart normally i.e. arouond 65 yards.
Every time I have used it on the course I have hit so far under the ball that I have taken a huge divot, and on 3 attempts I hit so far behind that I took such a large lump of turf that it was purely the turf moving the ball, about 2 yards! I have to get back to the range and work on it but I have zero confidence in it at all. No idea what has happened to it/me.
My next lesson is a short game lesson.

I basically use my 60* for full shots,half shots,bunkers,chips, and I especially love using it for flops.I have always enjoyed practicing flops and it has paid off its my bread and butter go to shot 20 yards and in.I hit a flop when I have no reason to cause its so comfortable to me now.I guess I hit the 60* for almost everything 80 yards and in.Sometimes you need to hit a bump and run, a runner to the back of the green or stay in under a tree or some other tricky chip but if not I will hit the 60*.Most times I will even hit a flop to the back of the green instead of a runner,I am in love with the flop.

I use my 60* on pretty much every shot in the 70-10 yard range. Probably the club I am most comfortable with.

Several have said either they have trouble either chili dipping it, catching it thin or they prefer something in the mid 50s for green side work because it's more consistent. Not trying to be a smart as, but why is that? Is the 60 harder to hit because of the loft, the low bounce most have, or what? I'm certainly no pro, but on tv I always here Faldo saying to use the 54(which I guess is what he caries) for the green side work, but most of them are chipping with their 60, or whatever their most lofted club is.

For me, a lower lofted club has a better chance of getting me on the green. Since it has a little more roll, if I catch it fat there is still a good chance it will roll onto the green. With my 60*, if I catch it fat, I'll probably still be on the fringe or worse.

I use the 50-54-58 setup and I tend to use the 58 for most greenside bunker shots. I always use it for lob shots and use it from the fairway up to 60 yards.

I use my 56* for most of my chip shots. Really the only time I use my 60* is for bunker shots, and chip shots that I've left myself extremely short sided. I'll also use it for shots in the 50-60 yard range. I'll just hit a little 3/4 shot from that range. I never hit a full shot with the 60*. I used to hit full 60* shots, but now I would rather play a 3/4 gap or 3/4 pitching wedge. I feel much more comfortable with that shot.

Chunking the ball into the bunker/stream/pond that I am trying to lob over...very reliable?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Chunking the ball into the bunker/stream/pond that I am trying to lob over...very reliable

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

If you keep putting it into the water it means you're casting.:alien:

I used to use it for 95% of shots within it's full range (105), but now I just use it when the shot calls for it.

I never (ever) use my 58* outside of 50-60 yards. From there all the way to chipping, I may use it, but may also use my 54* or 49* depending on what I think the situation calls for (carry, obstacles, amount of green to work with, wind, etc.). I also use it if there is anything resembling a significant lip in a green-side bunker.

Flops and short sand shots mainly! Rarely hit full shots with it!! Contemplated dropping it to add a 5 wood but then thought that I may struggle with delicate shots around the green with the 55*

Back