Becoming more then a sunday hacker

Reaction score
Handicap
As some of you know I have found asperations to become more then just a radom golfer. On advice from some more knowledgable thpers Im going to take this year and get into to some larger amatuer tournaments her in ohio. If I can show that I have the skill to play at the next level I intend on declaring my pro status the following year. All of that said I really do not know where to go from there or how to get sponsors etc. I have my caddy for the time being who has a decent golf knowledge and has been good for me to work with in terms of knowing how to help manage my game on the course. Any real advice would b appreciated.

10 handicap and you call yourself a 'sunday hacker'!!?? ;) I'd love to have a handicap close to yours and that is my goal this year! Good luck!!

Truthfully I have had days where I could have shot mid 70's last year if I hit my driver last year like I have been at the range so far this year. I had a round last year where i shot an 82 and had 3 drivers into the woods. Then again as i started to press at the end of the year I had a couple rounds into the 90's and hit 113 at Pipestone for the THP outing in Ohio. I call that inconsistency sunday hacking.

Best thing you could do is join a crossfit program and get your fitness in shape. No matter what shape you are in, it will help get your speed up. From there, in tournaments, its all about chipping and putting. An hour a day is a good start, on each, and you can start going for a lesson every 2 weeks for your long clubs.

I recommend you initiate a wedge system, there are a few out there, to help really dial in your numbers. Someone else can speak to that better than I can though.

I'm not sure if your ambition is to become a Tour Pro or a scratch golfer but either way I admire it

I'm not sure if your ambition is to become a Tour Pro or a scratch golfer but either way I admire it
I dont know that even if my game was good enough i could even make it onto the web.com but I want to be able to play golf at the highest level of competition I can and get as much help to try and make a living. At least make it so i can pay the bills and work part time for spending cash.

The first thing to do is get the game better. Scratch golfers are all over the place and most of them could not make the tour level. The second thing is to pay your way and enter mini tour events. If you are good enough to have success there, there is a chance you get noticed.

Thinking about sponsorships, etc is way too far off at this point. If you are looking for sponsorships into mini-tour events, that happens at the local level or from friends. In Florida for instance there are a number of tours. I have a friend that plays on the West FL tour and has won a couple of times and even qualified to play some larger events. To be fair, it is no where near enough to earn a living, but he enjoys it. He works hard at his game (about 4 hours a day) since his days playing college golf.

Good luck itch your goal. It takes a lot of work.

I dont know that even if my game was good enough i could even make it onto the web.com but I want to be able to play golf at the highest level of competition I can and get as much help to try and make a living. At least make it so i can pay the bills and work part time for spending cash.

To make a living out of playing golf is incredibly difficult. I have a two friends that went over to play the Hooters Tour both of these guys off +5 and +4 and neither of them made it, one caddied for Billy Mayfair for 6 months and the other caddied for Sandra Gal on the LPGA so both did make some decent money just not from playing.

If the best I end up doing is playing in all of the local state tourneys or what not on the weekends i will call that a win but i want to be able to play in all of the tournaments around here.

Another question. What are the requirements to be qualified as a pro golfer.

Technically, not much. Just signing a form saying you are giving up amateur status. Giving up amateur status would also DQ you from participating in many local events though.

I say just start this year by joining a club or local amateur tour and see where your game stacks up.

Im looking at a few tournaments here in the spring. As long as i can come up with the cash to play all of this im going all in.

If the thrill of competition is what you want, invest in the golf channel am tour as well as the Ohio state golf association. You'll make some
New fiends, play some fine courses and will get to compete.

Declaring yourself a pro will limit your chances to play. Sponsor is want a return on their investment. As a 10 hdcp or even a 1, there is no return.

You have to be honest with yourself and your level of skills. Not to mention your physical and mental shape. There is a huge gap between thinking if I had those drives back and actually hitting those drives. There are no mulligans in competition. Have some fun in some local events. unless you have $120k laying around and can give being a pro a shot, it's the closest you will get to that thrill.

Im looking into some smaller tours and events around here. There is stuff and the events arent to much more then $100 bucks apiece.

Not sure about America but in Ireland you have to have a handicap of 4 or better that's it.

good luck on your quest I know myself and many others will be following along on your journey

Good luck with your quest. I have thought about turning pro, but then I remembered that I suck at golf.

Love the ambition dude!

Good luck with your quest. I have thought about turning pro, but then I remembered that I suck at golf.

Love the ambition dude!
Hey as so many of you got to see last fall passion and dedication is all I can guarentee im going to bring everyday.

Hey as so many of you got to see last fall passion and dedication is all I can guarentee im going to bring everyday.
IMO, to succeed at anything takes passion, dedication, drive and a little bit of luck. Go get 'em dude.

Have you looked into becoming a PGA professional?

Thank does anyone have any ins with any of the golf courses in and around ft wayne. For the last week I have been trying to do the math to figure out how to find a good course i can afford the membership for and have money left over for weekend tournaments. LOL

Cant fault a guy for being driven and setting some lofty goals. Keep us updated on your progress, practice routines, etc.

Have you looked into becoming a PGA professional?

He said he wanted to play, LOL. Every PGA pro (head or assistant) I've ever met works crazy hours and has very little time (or interest) in actually playing or practicing. Those folks work hard and are very under appreciated (IMO).

Back