Live Online Coverage of PGA Tour Events

adwillingham

2024 Vokey Experience
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I can't understand from the article what restrictions are going to be in place on the Golf Channel Thursday/Friday coverage, but it looks like we are going to all get more access than ever before with the networks live streaming their PGA Tour Tournament coverage starting this week at the Farmers.

http://blogs.golf.com/presstent/201...nts-on-your-laptop-or-smartphone.html?sct=hp8

I remember hearing that this was supposed to start this year, but I know the coverage of the Humana last week seemed to be limited to Comcast customers. It sounds in the above like that was more of a trial run since it says the "Golf Channel and NBC Sports coverage will also be available online at next week's Waste Management Phoenix Open, although only people whose cable companies carry the Golf Channel will be able to watch the Golf Channel's coverage online" which sounds a good bit wider.

I really like that the tour is doing this as there are a lot of weekend days that I would like to have the coverage going on my computer without having to dominate the family television.

I can't understand from the article what restrictions are going to be in place on the Golf Channel Thursday/Friday coverage, but it looks like we are going to all get more access than ever before with the networks live streaming their PGA Tour Tournament coverage starting this week at the Farmers.

http://blogs.golf.com/presstent/201...nts-on-your-laptop-or-smartphone.html?sct=hp8

I remember hearing that this was supposed to start this year, but I know the coverage of the Humana last week seemed to be limited to Comcast customers. It sounds in the above like that was more of a trial run since it says the "Golf Channel and NBC Sports coverage will also be available online at next week's Waste Management Phoenix Open, although only people whose cable companies carry the Golf Channel will be able to watch the Golf Channel's coverage online" which sounds a good bit wider.

I really like that the tour is doing this as there are a lot of weekend days that I would like to have the coverage going on my computer without having to dominate the family television.

That's it right there for sure. I like this a lot. Hoping it's not too hard to get hooked into the TGC broadcast. I have it on my cable plan, but those things always end up bombing for me for whatever reason.

That would be awesome!

This is great, I hope it's a lot like the great online coverage we get of the majors. There are times where I'm sitting at work yet still catching every minute of the action, that would be great. If only my new cubicle wasn't right in the middle of a busy walkway and literally 3 steps from my bosses office. A desk rearrange is necessary for sure!

I really look forward to having more access to golf coverage even while mobile!

The restrictions are the fact you have to have Comcast as your service provider to watch any of the Golf Channel telecasts. Weekends are free when they're on NBC (not sure about CBS yet)

Edit: Found the note on PGA Tour

GOLF Channel (*)
Thursday, 1/24: 3-7 p.m.
Friday, 1/25: 3-7 p.m.
Saturday, 1/26: 1-2:30 p.m.
Sunday, 1/27: 1-2:30 p.m.

(*) Live streaming video of GOLF Channel's simulcast is currently available only to Comcast subscribers. When the link becomes available and you launch the video player, you'll be asked to login to your Comcast account.

[video=youtube;Qpbzcnn-v1Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qpbzcnn-v1Y[/video]

The restrictions are the fact you have to have Comcast as your service provider to watch any of the Golf Channel telecasts. Weekends are free when they're on NBC (not sure about CBS yet)

Edit: Found the note on PGA Tour

GOLF Channel (*)
Thursday, 1/24: 3-7 p.m.
Friday, 1/25: 3-7 p.m.
Saturday, 1/26: 1-2:30 p.m.
Sunday, 1/27: 1-2:30 p.m.

(*) Live streaming video of GOLF Channel's simulcast is currently available only to Comcast subscribers. When the link becomes available and you launch the video player, you'll be asked to login to your Comcast account.

That is what I had run into last week with the Humana. The article says CBS and NBC weekend coverage will be available to all US internet subscribers, so that at least looks promising. I hope the Golf Channel side expands to include the other cable companies and satellite companies soon.

Agreed. If you don't have Comcast in your area, you shouldn't be punished for not having their services. If you do have Comcast in your area, you shouldn't be punished for being smart enough to not use Comcast hehe

That's a terrible restriction. I was so close to being able to watch golf at work.

~Rock

FWIW, the Golf Channels FAQs say this "We are actively working to add additional TV providers to this service. Don't see your provider? Check back at a later time to see if your provider has been included."

Which I'm sure means: We're working on getting the other providers to pay an increased fee which they will then pass on to you the consumer, so that we can offer you this free additional service.

Is this Golf Channels huge announcement they are making at the PGA Show?

FWIW, the Golf Channels FAQs say this "We are actively working to add additional TV providers to this service. Don't see your provider? Check back at a later time to see if your provider has been included."

Which I'm sure means: We're working on getting the other providers to pay an increased fee which they will then pass on to you the consumer, so that we can offer you this free additional service.

Bingo. Why is offered on Comcast before anyone else? It's because Comcast owns Golf Channel. Of course, I have Comcast up here, so I'm good to go.

First, Rockets/Astros are only available in Houston on Comcast and now this?!?! I am hating Comcast more and more everyday.

Keep in mind it that only the Golf Channel coverage (Thurs/Fri rounds, Sat/Sun early coverage) is effected by the provider. The NBC/CBS normal afternoon coverage is available to everyone in US starting this weekend.

So between Live@ and CBS/NBC, it seems that you can get a good bit of coverage regardless of your internet provider. I'm enjoying watching today's coverage so far. Good enough for me!

Where?

Grazie.

This is really cool. Makes watching much easier.

The Live at coverage usually only focuses on a couple holes though. That is, unless that's changed too?

I love the pgatour.com LIVE@ coverage.
Streaming the Honda Classic from 8am-6pm today, and 9am-6pm on the weekend.

Considering I don't have cable, the free weekend coverage is a huge win for me.

Considering I don't have cable, the free weekend coverage is a huge win for me.

I have cable, but the fact that I can watch on my computer and let the kids control the TV is a huge wind for me. I end up using this coverage almost every weekend.

Back