Nike VRS Covert Driver Preview

Hi has anyone that has hit both the tour and the performance models actually compared the 2 face depths I am wondering if the tour version is really that much deeper in the face or are they nearly the same because the performance model is that much bigger and wider in the face. I am still getting this driver but I'm considering changing my order to the performance model.

I have hit both. From my experience, and my limited skill, the tour model is just a little hard for me to find the sweetspot. I think that the most attractive thing for me is how forgiving the cavity design is with the Covert. I am free to swing and not have to worry about missing the sweet spot by 5 milimeters, with the performance model. With the tour model, I have to be.

I've hit both. The Tour version is not forgiving at all. If you do not hit the sweet spot, you will know it. I don't remember my LM numbers. But, I do remember that the Dispersion I raved about, that I got from the Performance model, was no where to be found with the Tour model.

Also noted in my review, was the Nike engineers, basically agreeing that the Tour model is very much designed for a very good, repeatable swing.

So if I can tee off with a 3 wood comfortably, is the Tour version a likelier choice?

Your question intrigued me so I went and did a little poking around. The driver plays to 45.75" in length whereas most 3Ws are in the 43" range. The head size may be comparable but since the length is pure driver I think the answer to your question may be 'no'.

I took about 5-7 swings with the Covert today and I now want one. It was set at 9.5 Neutral and while my launch angle was good, my spin was consistently high which was robbing me of distance. This had the Kuro Kage Black shaft in it, not the one that comes stock. I actually liked the look of the red crown and the swoosh logo didn't bother me one bit. I really liked how it set up to and framed the ball. Did not sound loud and annoying which was also nice.

I took about 5-7 swings with the Covert today and I now want one. It was set at 9.5 Neutral and while my launch angle was good, my spin was consistently high which was robbing me of distance. This had the Kuro Kage Black shaft in it, not the one that comes stock. I actually liked the look of the red crown and the swoosh logo didn't bother me one bit. I really liked how it set up to and framed the ball. Did not sound loud and annoying which was also nice.

The more I have it this club, the more I like the sound. To me, it ha a Callaway quality to it.

I'm looking forward to giving this one a go. I was really disappointed in Pings new offerings in driver adjustability.

I hit this quickly on the LM at Golf Galaxy this morning. I don't know what loft it was set to. I came away surprisingly impressed. I don't trust the LM distance numbers so I'll have to hit it again and put it in head to head battle against my AMP before making any purchase decisions. However, it felt great, dispersion was great, I like the sound, the ball felt great coming off the club face, etc. I just wish it wasn't that horrible Stanfurd red :)

I hit this quickly on the LM at Golf Galaxy this morning. I don't know what loft it was set to. I came away surprisingly impressed. I don't trust the LM distance numbers so I'll have to hit it again and put it in head to head battle against my AMP before making any purchase decisions. However, it felt great, dispersion was great, I like the sound, the ball felt great coming off the club face, etc. I just wish it wasn't that horrible Stanfurd red :)

What are you talking about. It's a beautiful Wisconsin Badger color scheme.

While I was at GG today an older gentleman was hitting the Covert Driver. While he was hitting the plastic insert from the cavity in the sole fell out. I wonder if this is going to be a problem for Nike

While I was at GG today an older gentleman was hitting the Covert Driver. While he was hitting the plastic insert from the cavity in the sole fell out. I wonder if this is going to be a problem for Nike
hahaha....thats not a good way to sell a driver.

I was like oh damn... That's not a good sign
the best part is that you said it was an older gentlemen so its no tlike he was swinging out of his shoes.

Quick post on my results from the LM at golf galaxy today... Comparing it to the Amp Cell.

Hit them along with the X Hot, Speedline S, R1 and 913.

The Covert and Amp Cell fit my game the best! Leaning Covert due to adjustability. Leaning Amp Cell due to Colts blue. Without getting my lazy butt up to get figures, here is in short what I got from those two. All were hit on the launch monitor inside, so as far as how accurate it was, I don't kno. Just from remembering off top...

Covert - crazy crazy long. Carry was averaging about 270-280 with rollout to 290-305. I sprayed this one a little more than the Amp Cell but it wasn't more than 16 yards off center of fairway. Max one time of 14 yards left and best was 1.91 yards left. The one thing that I noticed that stood out was the forgiveness towards the heel of the club when it comes to distance. Didn't really lose much distance at all. I hit the tour and normal one and I couldn't get the tour dialed in. Just didn't work for me. I stuck with just the stock shafts for numbers and they fit me best. Back spin was right at 3000, swing speed was right around 102-106. Best results came from 9.5 degree loft. Launch angle hovered from 9.0-10.8.

Amp Cell - forgiving and smooth. Best results came from 9.5 degree loft. Carry was 245-255 with max roll out of 286. This was the more accurate of the two. Didn't miss the middle of the fairway more than 11 yards and averaged right around 6 yards off center with about 20 shots. Best three were under 2 yards off of center. Again, stayed with the stock shafts for readings cause it felt the best. Back spin was ranged from 2900-3300.. Launch angle was around 9.6-11. I like to stay around 9.0-9.5 max. So I tend to hit this a little higher than I prefer, but I'll take the accuracy that came with it.

My normal miss is a heel hit that ends in a slight pull or a bad pull at times. I choke down and that seems to help shorten the club a tad.

in the end... I still do not know. I really enjoyed them both. I am leaning towards Amp Cell because I was more consistent and accurate, but the Covert was just fun to hit. I am torn and will probably go back tomorrow and hit them both again and make a decision.

Thanks for listening THP.

I'm guessing most demo clubs take a ton of abuse. Especially drivers as most folks don't swing within themselves. Nonetheless, hopefully it's a fluke thing and this is the first I've heard of this on any forum talking about this driver.

Quick post on my results from the LM at golf galaxy today... Comparing it to the Amp Cell.

Hit them along with the X Hot, Speedline S, R1 and 913.

The Covert and Amp Cell fit my game the best! Leaning Covert due to adjustability. Leaning Amp Cell due to Colts blue. Without getting my lazy butt up to get figures, here is in short what I got from those two. All were hit on the launch monitor inside, so as far as how accurate it was, I don't kno. Just from remembering off top...

Covert - crazy crazy long. Carry was averaging about 270-280 with rollout to 290-305. I sprayed this one a little more than the Amp Cell but it wasn't more than 16 yards off center of fairway. Max one time of 14 yards left and best was 1.91 yards left. The one thing that I noticed that stood out was the forgiveness towards the heel of the club when it comes to distance. Didn't really lose much distance at all. I hit the tour and normal one and I couldn't get the tour dialed in. Just didn't work for me. I stuck with just the stock shafts for numbers and they fit me best. Back spin was right at 3000, swing speed was right around 102-106. Best results came from 9.5 degree loft. Launch angle hovered from 9.0-10.8.

Amp Cell - forgiving and smooth. Best results came from 9.5 degree loft. Carry was 245-255 with max roll out of 286. This was the more accurate of the two. Didn't miss the middle of the fairway more than 11 yards and averaged right around 6 yards off center with about 20 shots. Best three were under 2 yards off of center. Again, stayed with the stock shafts for readings cause it felt the best. Back spin was ranged from 2900-3300.. Launch angle was around 9.6-11. I like to stay around 9.0-9.5 max. So I tend to hit this a little higher than I prefer, but I'll take the accuracy that came with it.

My normal miss is a heel hit that ends in a slight pull or a bad pull at times. I choke down and that seems to help shorten the club a tad.

in the end... I still do not know. I really enjoyed them both. I am leaning towards Amp Cell because I was more consistent and accurate, but the Covert was just fun to hit. I am torn and will probably go back tomorrow and hit them both again and make a decision.

Thanks for listening THP.
Good little writup there. The best thing is that you got out and messed around with a few to narrow it down. I have not hit the Nike but I did like the Cobra. i think you will be happy either way

Man I have hit a lot of these drivers and own half of them and next friday going on a launch monitor that has no jacked up settings....270-280 carry is a lot of carry and those LM at GG and what not can be jacked up from 0 to 40 yards and everyone i know who buys clubs where i go....well they jack up the monitors to help sell clubs and then these people get on the course and say well what the heck happened to the 300 yard drives as they are only 260 or so now! I know the pros and techs who do the fittings and know what they are doing and it's sad! I love the people who get the 300 + carry and 320 yard drives.....and so many people seem to get those results but in reality....knock off 40 yards and another 10 for them not being as an indoor monitor anywhere near as close as a 3d doppler radar trackman or something like it outdoors!

This friday I will be comparing over 10 drivers from 913's to 910's, the RFE My razr fits and my 913's and 910's and the covert lines and such....forget the R1....but I will have a well trusted guy with the LM calibrated properly so i know what the real deal numbers are based on that monitor and he will even say it is about 80 to 85 percent correct vs a trackman outdoors! I find it odd almost no Nike tour players are gaming the tour including rory they are all gaming the Regular Covert.....the Kuro Kage is junk so everything I test will have my GD AD DI and Matrix TP6HD shafts and such in them to try out and my buddy will be bring in some of the same shafts to stick in the covert as well! I really think when it comes down to it I will buy the regular covert and stick the Tour ad di 6x in it and then take the RFE with the same setup and rotate those on the course with my 913 and Razr fit Tour authentic to see what my best results are! I love buying all this stuff and finding out the performance on the course once i have them set and ready to go!

Man I have hit a lot of these drivers and own half of them and next friday going on a launch monitor that has no jacked up settings....270-280 carry is a lot of carry and those LM at GG and what not can be jacked up from 0 to 40 yards and everyone i know who buys clubs where i go....well they jack up the monitors to help sell clubs and then these people get on the course and say well what the heck happened to the 300 yard drives as they are only 260 or so now! I know the pros and techs who do the fittings and know what they are doing and it's sad! I love the people who get the 300 + carry and 320 yard drives.....and so many people seem to get those results but in reality....knock off 40 yards and another 10 for them not being as an indoor monitor anywhere near as close as a 3d doppler radar trackman or something like it outdoors!

This friday I will be comparing over 10 drivers from 913's to 910's, the RFE My razr fits and my 913's and 910's and the covert lines and such....forget the R1....but I will have a well trusted guy with the LM calibrated properly so i know what the real deal numbers are based on that monitor and he will even say it is about 80 to 85 percent correct vs a trackman outdoors! I find it odd almost no Nike tour players are gaming the tour including rory they are all gaming the Regular Covert.....the Kuro Kage is junk so everything I test will have my GD AD DI and Matrix TP6HD shafts and such in them to try out and my buddy will be bring in some of the same shafts to stick in the covert as well! I really think when it comes down to it I will buy the regular covert and stick the Tour ad di 6x in it and then take the RFE with the same setup and rotate those on the course with my 913 and Razr fit Tour authentic to see what my best results are! I love buying all this stuff and finding out the performance on the course once i have them set and ready to go!

^ this is why I always hit my current driver when I hit others as I know my distance with it and would know if they messed with the LM. Rory was playing the Tour version, BTW. I like the Kuro shaft compared to the other offerings.

^ this is why I always hit my current driver when I hit others as I know my distance with it and would know if they messed with the LM. Rory had the tour black and red unless he had the other model colored black.

Check his whats in the bag and go to Nikegolf.com and it shows what he is playing and I had this conversation last night as many noticed the same thing and only a few have the pro/tour in their bag if they even switched at all! I saw his driver close up the other week and it was not the tour and was silver not black on the face or bottom! He may be toying around with them but that is what is in his bag for NikeGolf.com and other places that have whats in his bag! He is playing it at the 10.5 degree with his diamana Black matte finish (D+ prototype like what was in his 913)

By the way copper i do the same thing by bringing in my gamer drivers but I can trust where I go and they know I am not getting my equipment from them anyways! So hence they have no reason to mess with the monitor!

By the way copper i do the same thing by bringing in my gamer drivers but I can trust where I go and they know I am not getting my equipment from them anyways! So hence they have no reason to mess with the monitor!

I did that as well.. I brought my gamer in and it was about spot in with my normal.

By the way I have seen mixed reports and photos of whats in the bag for Rory with having the covert 10.5 and the pro model in 9.5 setting and I think he is toying around with them and the woods which we know and the putter as well! yea SLICE that is the way to know if someone is messing around with you or not and most never think to do something like this but it is the best test to see whats really going on!

Check his whats in the bag and go to Nikegolf.com and it shows what he is playing and I had this conversation last night as many noticed the same thing and only a few have the pro/tour in their bag if they even switched at all! I saw his driver close up the other week and it was not the tour and was silver not black on the face or bottom! He may be toying around with them but that is what is in his bag for NikeGolf.com and other places that have whats in his bag! He is playing it at the 10.5 degree with his diamana Black matte finish (D+ prototype like what was in his 913)

I don't doubt it lists that on the site. I watched the first 2 rounds and it was definitely the Tour he was using. Maybe he has changed as he didn't hit it well??

I don't doubt it lists that on the site. I watched the first 2 rounds and it was definitely the Tour he was using. Maybe he has changed as he didn't hit it well??

correct he did use the tour model last week

Rory_McIlroy_2454281b.jpg

Or not.

I saw the tour last week as well and then when he was on one of his last holes the head was not black and neither was the face as his caddie was sliding on the head cover and that's what made me do some digging and I have came up with multiple answers down to he is playing Tiger's driver even, which is not obviously been seen yet, not to say he hasn't tried it out! I know he switched the 3 wood and putter for sure.....like I said i got a call from a buddy who wanted the tour ordered from my guy I get equipment from until he saw that and was wondering the same thing i was because I was wondering why in the world was he not using the Tour myself and I have had confirmed reports of him using and gaming both drivers! The hole when I saw his club ....it was not black at all on the face nor the sole! So my guess is as good as anyone elses and like I said I have not heard an accurate answer yet but NikeGolf.com has him playing the regular Covert not the tour but show the tour for the few who do use it??!?! Confusing...either way i do not care what he uses I just know what me and a buddy saw and all the conflicting reports I read! I would not think NikeGolf to put down the wrong driver for him and the correct equipment for everyone else either but I have heard the non tour has a better look at address even though it is larger by 30cc! I will know for sure what works best for me atleast when I try them all but I love the way the Coverts regardless adjust! By the way if my insert on the face fell out you best believe I am getting a new driver head for free especially if it was not my fault!

Back