Nike VRS Covert Driver Preview

By the way I have also seen reports of it being the covert but the swoosh was silver like on the tour not black like on the non tour so....it could all just be most leaving the non tour part out of the conversation,why I really wouldnt know! My only guess on what me and my buddy saw on 2 different tv's were reflections from the sun making the bottom of the club look silver and not black and the glimpse of the face look silver as well as I did not get a good look at the face like i did the sole! I can admit i was paying no attention to the swoosh color either...so it may have been a camera illusion but like I said...I have heard the 9.5 to 10.5 reports and NikeGolf has him using the Covert but I know in his interview he had the tour! Either way whatever works for him...well more power to him...I was just a little confused on the reports and all and my buddy is a huge rory fan and wants to play what he is...i know thats sad but we all know there are tons of people out there like that! I know when i hit them i will buy the one that gives me best results on numbers and feel and what makes me feel the most confident!

I didn't think not mattered what Rory played.

I didn't think not mattered what Rory played.

heck i do not care what he plays.....I was trying to figure it out for my buddy...he is one who wants what his favorite golfer is playing regardless of if it makes him better or play worse! I myself am a Tiger guy and never been a huge rory fan!

Final round last week

159688680-rory-mcilroy-of-northern-ireland-hits-his-gettyimages.jpg

Anyone have any recommendation on which shafts to throw in the Covert and try? Was not a fan of the stock one!

Prefer it to be a "low spin" shaft that golf galaxy would have in stock there. Really love the head, but the shaft wasn't a favorite. Is the tour shaft a lot better?

Anyone have any recommendation on which shafts to throw in the Covert and try? Was not a fan of the stock one!

Prefer it to be a "low spin" shaft that golf galaxy would have in stock there. Really love the head, but the shaft wasn't a favorite. Is the tour shaft a lot better?

I tried the Performance head with the KK Silver shaft that goes in the Tour head, much better than the Black shaft. I consistently had 12-13deg of launch, and about 2200rpm spin, even got a few over 300, which is big for me. Try the tour shaft in the performance head, great combo.

I tried the Performance head with the KK Silver shaft that goes in the Tour head, much better than the Black shaft. I consistently had 12-13deg of launch, and about 2200rpm spin, even got a few over 300, which is big for me. Try the tour shaft in the performance head, great combo.

Exactly my thought! Definitely gonna give it a go.

Will the B Asha fit in the Covert?

Also, any idea what the up charge would be for the Matrix Black Tie?

Last edited:
Looks like the Tour to me, and looked black on the TV?

hi-res-159597269_display_image.jpg

hi-res-159521936_crop_650x440.jpg

I like the stock shaft in the standard head. It fits me well. My golf galaxy has a UST Attas, Fujikura Fuel, and a Matrix Black Tie. Otherwise I am pretty sure you can order the KuroKage Silver in the standard head.

Exactly my thought! Definitely gonna give it a go.

Will the B Asha fit in the Covert?

Also, any idea what the up charge would be for the Matrix Black Tie?

Also. The b'asha will not fit because the adapter is not available from Nike. You might be able to call Nike directly and order it with a B'asha. Get ready for that up charge.

Also. The b'asha will not fit because the adapter is not available from Nike. You might be able to call Nike directly and order it with a B'asha. Get ready for that up charge.

Sigh, wish Nike would get with the program on their adapters...

I like the stock shaft in the standard head. It fits me well. My golf galaxy has a UST Attas, Fujikura Fuel, and a Matrix Black Tie. Otherwise I am pretty sure you can order the KuroKage Silver in the standard head.

Any idea what the upcharge was with the black tie?

But that's the thing. Nike believes they are with the program. They are just trying to have control of their warranty program.

But like I said, you can probably order the club with a b'asha in it from Nike.

heard a rumbling the other day that it might change. Hope it's true because I want this club.

I don't doubt it lists that on the site. I watched the first 2 rounds and it was definitely the Tour he was using. Maybe he has changed as he didn't hit it well??

I saw the tour last week as well and then when he was on one of his last holes the head was not black and neither was the face as his caddie was sliding on the head cover and that's what made me do some digging and I have came up with multiple answers down to he is playing Tiger's driver even, which is not obviously been seen yet, not to say he hasn't tried it out! I know he switched the 3 wood and putter for sure.....like I said i got a call from a buddy who wanted the tour ordered from my guy I get equipment from until he saw that and was wondering the same thing i was because I was wondering why in the world was he not using the Tour myself and I have had confirmed reports of him using and gaming both drivers! The hole when I saw his club ....it was not black at all on the face nor the sole! So my guess is as good as anyone elses and like I said I have not heard an accurate answer yet but NikeGolf.com has him playing the regular Covert not the tour but show the tour for the few who do use it??!?! Confusing...either way i do not care what he uses I just know what me and a buddy saw and all the conflicting reports I read! I would not think NikeGolf to put down the wrong driver for him and the correct equipment for everyone else either but I have heard the non tour has a better look at address even though it is larger by 30cc! I will know for sure what works best for me atleast when I try them all but I love the way the Coverts regardless adjust! By the way if my insert on the face fell out you best believe I am getting a new driver head for free especially if it was not my fault!

By the way I have also seen reports of it being the covert but the swoosh was silver like on the tour not black like on the non tour so....it could all just be most leaving the non tour part out of the conversation,why I really wouldnt know! My only guess on what me and my buddy saw on 2 different tv's were reflections from the sun making the bottom of the club look silver and not black and the glimpse of the face look silver as well as I did not get a good look at the face like i did the sole! I can admit i was paying no attention to the swoosh color either...so it may have been a camera illusion but like I said...I have heard the 9.5 to 10.5 reports and NikeGolf has him using the Covert but I know in his interview he had the tour! Either way whatever works for him...well more power to him...I was just a little confused on the reports and all and my buddy is a huge rory fan and wants to play what he is...i know thats sad but we all know there are tons of people out there like that! I know when i hit them i will buy the one that gives me best results on numbers and feel and what makes me feel the most confident!

That sure is a lot of speculation. Players change sticks on the range every week, heck sometimes every day. Nikegolf.com is not going to make hourly/daily updates.

That sure is a lot of speculation. Players change sticks on the range every week, heck sometimes every day. Nikegolf.com is not going to make hourly/daily updates.

true. All they need to say is that he has the covert in the bag, whether it's the tour model or not it's not like they are lying.

That is a shame that some guys won't be able to get the driver they want because Nike won't offer the damn adapters. Absolutely ridiculous, imo.

That is a shame that some guys won't be able to get the driver they want because Nike won't offer the damn adapters. Absolutely ridiculous, imo.

They will be able to game them. They will just choose not to. All Nike would have to do is add a clause in their warranty that any club with a non stock or custom order shaft in it has no warranty.

I despise this club. It is hideous looking. Stupid swoosh on the side. Bright red paint job! Who does this to a club? Half the sole is carved out. I can't stand having such a hideous club in the bag. I hit 10-15 different clubs today and I refused to hit this one. OK well the pro in the shop was raving about it so maybe I will take one swing. My eyes will have to be closed though because I can't stand to look at this monstrosity. I watched the pro absolutely murder this thing. 290-300 on each shot and he was complaining that he wasn't puring it.

He hands me the stock club and I take a look to see what I am hitting. I have no clue as it has no number on it. Who does this? Confusion sets in and I'm frustrated. I ask him what the heck and he laughs. Shows me the adjustments on it and I'm a little impressed. Quite a few options in this club. I still hate it. Stupid red color. It has an ugly stock shaft that I hate. I think it's a made for Fujikura of some type, possibly the Fuel. I put a ball on the tee and take a few waggles. I'm so mad at this club I hope I sky one. I do have to admit that at address this club is quite nice. I still hate it. Take a nice easy swing and absolutely nut one. I mean nut one. 230 carry! That is good for me. Hit another one and it was the same.

The pro walks over and hands me a new shaft. It's the Kuro Kage shaft which is apparently a no upcharge option. I pop the Fuel shaft out and put the Kage in. Once again, I am completely impressed with the adapter on this club. A ton of options and it is in a smallish form factor. I like the looks of the Kage shaft much more than the Fuel. Pop a ball on the tee and once again I think that I like the look of this driver at address. Take a nice easy swing and kill the ball. We are now starting to see numbers getting up to 260 total which is simply unheard of for me indoors on a sim. I usually have issues for some reason when hitting indoors. I was destroying this driver!

I am blown away. This is the best driver I have ever hit in a sim. Ever. It looks great at address. Once I set it to the closed position, I was seeing my little draw and some outstanding carry distance. My PTR was all in the 145-150. I walk out of the sim and I'm willing to trade every club I have in my car for this club. The pro breaks my heart by saying it is not out yet. I want to cry. This is an easy pre-order for me. I am blown away and it's not even close. By far the best driver I have hit this year. The red color still bothers me but I can get over it lol. The sound was not distracting to me like some past Nikes have been. The feel was awesome. I love this driver. Maybe I will take it to Continental Golf and get it matte'd.

The story continues. Chunky, that was an awesome read throughout the threads.

I despise this club. It is hideous looking. Stupid swoosh on the side. Bright red paint job! Who does this to a club? Half the sole is carved out. I can't stand having such a hideous club in the bag. I hit 10-15 different clubs today and I refused to hit this one. OK well the pro in the shop was raving about it so maybe I will take one swing. My eyes will have to be closed though because I can't stand to look at this monstrosity. I watched the pro absolutely murder this thing. 290-300 on each shot and he was complaining that he wasn't puring it.

He hands me the stock club and I take a look to see what I am hitting. I have no clue as it has no number on it. Who does this? Confusion sets in and I'm frustrated. I ask him what the heck and he laughs. Shows me the adjustments on it and I'm a little impressed. Quite a few options in this club. I still hate it. Stupid red color. It has an ugly stock shaft that I hate. I think it's a made for Fujikura of some type, possibly the Fuel. I put a ball on the tee and take a few waggles. I'm so mad at this club I hope I sky one. I do have to admit that at address this club is quite nice. I still hate it. Take a nice easy swing and absolutely nut one. I mean nut one. 230 carry! That is good for me. Hit another one and it was the same.

The pro walks over and hands me a new shaft. It's the Kuro Kage shaft which is apparently a no upcharge option. I pop the Fuel shaft out and put the Kage in. Once again, I am completely impressed with the adapter on this club. A ton of options and it is in a smallish form factor. I like the looks of the Kage shaft much more than the Fuel. Pop a ball on the tee and once again I think that I like the look of this driver at address. Take a nice easy swing and kill the ball. We are now starting to see numbers getting up to 260 total which is simply unheard of for me indoors on a sim. I usually have issues for some reason when hitting indoors. I was destroying this driver!

I am blown away. This is the best driver I have ever hit in a sim. Ever. It looks great at address. Once I set it to the closed position, I was seeing my little draw and some outstanding carry distance. My PTR was all in the 145-150. I walk out of the sim and I'm willing to trade every club I have in my car for this club. The pro breaks my heart by saying it is not out yet. I want to cry. This is an easy pre-order for me. I am blown away and it's not even close. By far the best driver I have hit this year. The red color still bothers me but I can get over it lol. The sound was not distracting to me like some past Nikes have been. The feel was awesome. I love this driver. Maybe I will take it to Continental Golf and get it matte'd.
I deleted my prediction post, but I had a feeling it was going to be the Covert. I hit it this weekend also. Shared the same feelings about hating the swoosh and color, etc. But it felt great and performed great. I am not sure which shaft I hit but will demo it again and try both shafts. I am also going to give it a head to head vs. the AMP Offset. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if this found its way to my bag. It is weird how low expectations were on this one after a few bad reports (vs. the raves about the X Hot, which I didn't have much success with). This is a nice stick. Congrats on the purchase (btw, weird they said it wasn't available. I didn't get that far with my demo but my impression was that it is in the store and available now).

The story continues. Chunky, that was an awesome read throughout the threads.

Thanks dude. I have not gone to the store and just hit a ton of clubs in a long time. I used to do it once a month. It's a great day and a lot of fun. And I love the surprises that happen. Never in a million years would I have said that the Cobra and the Nike would have been at the top. I just would not have thought that. It was fun

Thanks dude. I have not gone to the store and just hit a ton of clubs in a long time. I used to do it once a month. It's a great day and a lot of fun. And I love the surprises that happen. Never in a million years would I have said that the Cobra and the Nike would have been at the top. I just would not have thought that. It was fun
I havent done it in a while either, but your posts have me inspired! HAHA!

Back