Nike VRS Covert Driver Preview

Wow, I just noticed 45.75" long. Did no one find this ridiculously long? Don't see a comment about that yet.

I did not notice this when I tested it, nor did it effect my tempo...unless it improved it.

Good god. Why oh why are they inching longer every cycle? Ugh. Just means more trimming and needing weight kits. Grrrr.

Its not any longer than its predecessor, or the predecessor before that...
Seeing as how I've never played a Nike driver I wouldn't know. I just remember when TM was actually < 45" long. r7 44.75", r9/11 45", R1 45.5" - if I'm not mistaken.

I put a few swings on it this weekend and it did not feel long at all. If anything I would have guessed that it was a shorter offering based on how it felt and how easy it was to control the club.

I just posted these videos in a different thread, about my shotty swing. But they are good indications of the sound of the Covert Tour.

[video=youtube;zVhF-us8JFs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVhF-us8JFs[/video]

*** about my shotty swing.***

When I hit the Covert this weekend the golf pro at the shop watched me hit a few then somewhat sheepishly asked "Have you been playing much?" which I took to be code for "Is this your dialed in sh*tty swing or off-season sh*tty swing?" Sadly it was more toward the former :)

I put a few swings on it this weekend and it did not feel long at all. If anything I would have guessed that it was a shorter offering based on how it felt and how easy it was to control the club.

Completely agree. I was shocked that this driver was that long

Good god. Why oh why are they inching longer every cycle? Ugh. Just means more trimming and needing weight kits. Grrrr.

So they can market that it hits the ball farther. The longer the shaft, the longer the swing arc...the more clubhead speed that can be generated.

i love longer shafts in my driver..i just stopped playing a 48.5 inch driver

i love longer shafts in my driver..i just stopped playing a 48.5 inch driver

Good thing you stopped playing it. Since you lost a few strokes everytime you swung it with a penalty stroke.

I was just talking about this with Jman.

In hear on TV how Keegan Bradley uses his driver as a "weapon".

Everything about this club makes me feel like I am swinging a weapon. So far this winter, every time I swing this club I feel like I am goin to punish the ball and find a spot a ways down the fairway.

I don't get that feeling now with my current driver. It's not confidence from I know it is going to end well. But a confidence that I am going to set a tone for the next shots.

If any of that makes sense. Especially because I have yet to hit a second shot after this driver.

In felt like that with my super deep for a long time. In should hit that thing again

TTing

If you have had that feeling, I would go back and find it. I wish my current driver made me feel that way.

Cool... I have never seen this. Apparently, you can't order the Kuro Silver in the non-tour model still. I would really like to see the RIP 70 in the non-tour model.

I ordered the Perfomance head with the Kuro Silver from Nike, it can be done. Because its a stock shaft, no upcharge.

I ordered the Perfomance head with the Kuro Silver from Nike, it can be done. Because its a stock shaft, no upcharge.

I tried the performance head with the Kage Silver. I had awful results. But I'm happy it's a good combo for you.

Having spent sometime with the Covert Tour, I like it more and more.

As I sit here and write this like a dog with a tail in between its legs I recant my previous cooments on this driver. I hit the performance version again with the stock stiff flex shaft and was absolutely crushing it. Dont know what went wrong initially but on the second go around this club delivered. Was seeing ball speeds of 155.8mph, 112-114mph SS and 285-297carry and 299-309 total distance. Had it set to 10.5 loft with a neutral face. Launch angle was 8.9-9.9 range which is typical for me. The best part was that they were all consitently grouped down the middle. Shots missed both left and right were all within 10-15yrds off the center line. This driver and the new Fit Xtreme were neck and neck for me in numbers with the edge going to the Covert in accuracy and the Xtreme was about 2-3yrds longer.

Tapping away on my S3

Last year's VR_S was also 45.75.

As I sit here and write this like a dog with a tail in between its legs I recant my previous cooments on this driver. I hit the performance version again with the stock stiff flex shaft and was absolutely crushing it. Dont know what went wrong initially but on the second go around this club delivered. Was seeing ball speeds of 155.8mph, 112-114mph SS and 285-297carry and 299-309 total distance. Had it set to 10.5 loft with a neutral face. Launch angle was 8.9-9.9 range which is typical for me. The best part was that they were all consitently grouped down the middle. Shots missed both left and right were all within 10-15yrds off the center line. This driver and the new Fit Xtreme were neck and neck for me in numbers with the edge going to the Covert in accuracy and the Xtreme was about 2-3yrds longer.

Tapping away on my S3

You were carrying 285 with 155 mph ball speeds? That's impressive. I'm not far from that number, I can tickle 155. I only carry maybe a little over 250 when that happens.

Nike hasn't put out a 46" driver yet. I know that the Dymo was 45.75". So they haven't increased their stock lengths

Tapping away on my S3

Holy cow that's a big tee ball, launch monitor?

Holy cow that's a big tee ball, launch monitor?

The Nike VR_S Covert and Callaway RAZR Fit Extreme can apparently defy the laws of physics.

Back