Driver carry distance you'd be satisfied with

I'd be happy in the 260ish range on a day to day basis.

I would be extremely happy with 250 carry. Heck I would probably be happy with 240

I probably average 220 in carry.... I would be ecstatic with 250! I sometimes think I should just use my three wood on every hole. I would get almost as much distance and would hit 75% of thr fairways.

I should carry the ball 290 but it doesn't always work out.

270 carry would be about right. With my SS of 106-108 I should be able to do that or at least get pretty close.

I used to used to hit much further than I have the last 2 seasons and I gotta say had I known that dialing my length down in the quest for more accuracy was going to make it so tough to get even remotely close to where I was before, I am not sure I would have done it. I don't know if I'll ever get back up to a SS of 116-118 again. I only hit 3 drives over 300 yards all of last season and I used to have 3-4 a round. I miss those days but suspect they are in the rear view mirror with the new swing.

I'd be thrilled with a consistent 240 or so carry. Most courses I play would leave me with a short iron into a par 4 or a decision on a par 5.

Chipped via Tapatalk, never chutted.

Thanks for all the replies. This is pretty interesting to me. On my home course there is one hole that has a creek that would require about 230 yards to clear it off the tee. One of my goals is to someday make it over. But in the few years I've played there, I have never once seen anyone make it over it with their tee shot. Myself, I've only been able to bounce a couple into it during the summer. When I play with better players, they normally hit irons or fairways and don't try to go for it. It isn't because they're shooting to a number. The far side of the creek would still leave them 70 yards to the green and the green has a lot of slope, so you want to get as close as possible with your tee shot. So I wonder why I've never seen anyone do it? Maybe there just aren't a lot of long hitters in my area.

I'm starting to get the feeling that when I go to an invitational, I'll be hitting my third shot before everyone else in my foursome hits their second.

I'd be thrilled if my carry stayed where it is instead of getting smaller as time passes.
Of course, given my swing and the gains fitting might give as swing speed drops, that's not an impossible thing with a few lessons.

There's got to be a theoretical maximum carry based on club speed. You can aim for that, I guess, but maybe you want more roll for total distance.
I'm sure I've seen some chart of idealized numbers for this...might have been in the recent Trackman thread. That might tell you what you're shooting for.

Same here, I'm down to 240 carry now with little hope of ever regaining any distance. It was only a couple of years ago that 260 was normal and a few before that when 280 was easy. So it is looking like 230 next year (when I can play super senior tournaments.)

Tour average carry distance is 269....

I would be thrilled with 240 yards consistently down the middle of the fairway!!

Honestly though, One day, if I could carry the ball 285, I'd be satisfied.

240 consistent carry would be awesome.

Id be happy with a consistent 250 yard carry.

I would be thrilled with consistent carry of 240 yards and I think once I get my new Amp Cell driver under control that this yardage is realistic.

Not sure what my carry distance is, but I can usually get around 260ish out of it. More on good shots. Carry's great and all but I just want whatever gets me <150 out on par 4s, while remaining relatively straight. I think that if I keep working I can attain that on most medium to medium long par 4s. The only thing holding me back at this point really is accuracy... ...And maybe a few yards! :D Practice practice practice. Nothing like walking up to your second shot with a scoring iron in your hand.

Thanks for all the replies. This is pretty interesting to me. On my home course there is one hole that has a creek that would require about 230 yards to clear it off the tee. One of my goals is to someday make it over. But in the few years I've played there, I have never once seen anyone make it over it with their tee shot. Myself, I've only been able to bounce a couple into it during the summer. When I play with better players, they normally hit irons or fairways and don't try to go for it. It isn't because they're shooting to a number. The far side of the creek would still leave them 70 yards to the green and the green has a lot of slope, so you want to get as close as possible with your tee shot. So I wonder why I've never seen anyone do it? Maybe there just aren't a lot of long hitters in my area.

I'm starting to get the feeling that when I go to an invitational, I'll be hitting my third shot before everyone else in my foursome hits their second.

I would not go for that shot. I can't consistently count on any distance more than say 210 carry. 240 if I hit if dead nuts perfect. If you ever play with me, I'm sure we will be side by side

Swing Speed is around 92ish with my Adams Fast 12LS and switched to the Taylormade R1 now around 95ish so a bit faster but with the Machine with my LS I was always 230 and now with the R1 I'm around 250 total yards.....granted its a machine with no slope, wind ext. so I should be around 280 carry now and with roll.... well its roll only thing I hope for that it passes 300.

I don't really have a set number in mind but right now, I'd be happy if it'd carry further than my 3-wood.

Really? I thought it would be a lot more.

Yessir. The total distance (carry+roll) average is right around 290

Back