TaylorMade R1 Driver Review - Forum Testing Thread

Same here. Unless I am swinging the Kusala Black or the Diamana Whiteboard which are very stiff for me, everything becomes a blur.

FWIW, my SS is probably around 105 and I have zero issues with the stiff shaft offering.

On a sidenote, I apologize for my lack of updates the last few days. Surgery on Monday sidelined me a bit but planning on doing a range session at lunch today and rounds tomorrow and Sunday!

Typically I just don't like a driver if the shaft is too stiff. There are a few out there that feel 'right' to me, but I'm not super picky.

I've wondered the same thing. How does changing the face angle not change loft?

I've wondered the same thing. How does changing the face angle not change loft?
Are you talking about the sole plate, and adjusting that? The reason the loft doesnt adjust is because it is only affecting how the club sits at address.

Same here. Unless I am swinging the Kusala Black or the Diamana Whiteboard which are very stiff for me, everything becomes a blur.

FWIW, my SS is probably around 105 and I have zero issues with the stiff shaft offering.

On a sidenote, I apologize for my lack of updates the last few days. Surgery on Monday sidelined me a bit but planning on doing a range session at lunch today and rounds tomorrow and Sunday!

It's funny because I think the shaft is stout enough for my swing speed, normally right around 105. So I don't have a problem with flex. However, with the Kusala Black 61s and the Cleveland Classic 310 combination is more responsive for me. I don't seem to feel the head of the R1, nor the loading of the Phenom.

Hope you don't mind me interjecting on this, but I was out on the range this afternoon and hit my 9.5 deg SuperTri against the R1. It had been a while since I had hit the SuperTri, and honestly, I like it better from a looks perspective as well as the sound it makes (forgotten how satisfying it is), but from a performance perspective, the distance and forgiveness were better with the R1.

Going a touch further on WE's comment on spin, the R1 in a 10.5 setting was launching the ball lower than the SuperTri was in a 9.5 setting (granted different shafts).

Seeing that the supertri is my current driver (and one that I love dearly, so much so that I have 2 of the same supertri heads), I am thrilled that yuo guys are doing these types of comparisons. Thanks!

Are you talking about the sole plate, and adjusting that? The reason the loft doesnt adjust is because it is only affecting how the club sits at address.

But if you regrip it with a neutral face, it has to change the loft doesn't it?

Technically speaking you can regroup the club to manipulate both loft and face angle I would say. But not one without the other and still maintain ball position in your stance. Hooding an iron is very similar as I see it.

2/8/2013
Driving range - Arlington, TX
60*, hitting into a 15MPH north wind

Just got back from a quick lunch time range session. Someone had asked the other day about in the search for a draw of closing the sole plate 2* vs swapping weights. That was the focus of today's session.

Started out at my preferred stock setup of 10*, neutral sole plate, 1g heel and 10g toe. The shot I love to see so quickly returned, nice mid flight line drives dead into the wind. Was hitting everything really straight in this setup.

Test 1:

10*, sole plate at closed 2*, weight at 1g heel / 10g toe: with this setup I was seeing the same mid ball flight that I like. As far as movement goes, I would say that 60% were still dead straight while the other 40% ranged from a draw of 5 yards up to 15 yards. When I start to see a 15 yard movement, it almost looks like a sweeping hook to me. I would consider this setting playable as long as I setup far enough right to allow for the draw but not so far right that a straight shot misses right of the fairway. I did see a visual change at address on this setting also. Not displeasing to the eye, just a slightly hooded look at address. One thing I did notice even with range balls is that after landing, the ball just seemed to run quite a ways. I could definitely see a ton of benefit from that shot IF I was able to keep it in play.

Test 2:

10*, sole plate at neutral, 10g in heel / 1g in toe: This was pretty interesting to me and not what I expected. First thing I noticed was a higher ball flight - more of a mid-high and less penetrating. Second thing is my shots were all over the place - left, straight, and right. I was not able to find any consistency in this setup. I am really unsure if the head weight threw my swing off or if my swing was just getting unpredictable after hitting 40 balls in less than 30 minutes. After about 20 balls in this setting, I had enough and made a change.

Test 3:

10.5*, sole plate at 1* closed, 1g toe / 10g heel: my goal of this setting was to see if I could raise the ball flight a hair over the stock and still see a good combination of flight/rollout. In all honesty, I think my swing was just amiss at this point as I was seeing about every type of shot you can imagine.

Next steps....

Moving forward, I know my preferred setup is just straight up as it was shipped to me at 10*, sole plate neutral, and 1g toe / 10g heel. I still hope to play on a wet course so I can increase the loft to 12* and compare it to the standard setup and see how carry vs roll is impacted, etc.

Plans to play 18 both tomorrow and Sunday so looking forward to the real world feedback that really resonates with me more than range time.

Nice stuff Cookie! I see we both have similar issues with changing the weights around.

Nice stuff Cookie! I see we both have similar issues with changing the weights around.

Very interesting. And also to note - I did see the 10g weight starting to "stretch/strip" a bit in the head where the wrench goes in. I was able to move both weights around 3 different times but I have a feeling that if doing it daily, it would eventually give.

But if you regrip it with a neutral face, it has to change the loft doesn't it?

When TM describes the loft it is in relation to the shaft.

A sole plate adjustment does not change the head / shaft relationship. It just makes the whole club (shaft & head) rest on the ground at a different angle. Therefore, it does not affect loft.

Very interesting. And also to note - I did see the 10g weight starting to "stretch/strip" a bit in the head where the wrench goes in. I was able to move both weights around 3 different times but I have a feeling that if doing it daily, it would eventually give.

not good.. you think you may have cross threaded it and caused that yourself ? how do the threads look on the screws themselves now?

When TM describes the loft it is in relation to the shaft.

A sole plate adjustment does not change the head / shaft relationship. It just makes the whole club (shaft & head) rest on the ground at a different angle. Therefore, it does not affect loft.

Ok, so that does make sense to me a bit. But doesn't that change where the hands sit?

2/8/2013
Driving range - Arlington, TX
60*, hitting into a 15MPH north wind

Just got back from a quick lunch time range session. Someone had asked the other day about in the search for a draw of closing the sole plate 2* vs swapping weights. That was the focus of today's session.

Started out at my preferred stock setup of 10*, neutral sole plate, 1g heel and 10g toe. The shot I love to see so quickly returned, nice mid flight line drives dead into the wind. Was hitting everything really straight in this setup.

Test 1:

10*, sole plate at closed 2*, weight at 1g heel / 10g toe: with this setup I was seeing the same mid ball flight that I like. As far as movement goes, I would say that 60% were still dead straight while the other 40% ranged from a draw of 5 yards up to 15 yards. When I start to see a 15 yard movement, it almost looks like a sweeping hook to me. I would consider this setting playable as long as I setup far enough right to allow for the draw but not so far right that a straight shot misses right of the fairway. I did see a visual change at address on this setting also. Not displeasing to the eye, just a slightly hooded look at address. One thing I did notice even with range balls is that after landing, the ball just seemed to run quite a ways. I could definitely see a ton of benefit from that shot IF I was able to keep it in play.

Test 2:

10*, sole plate at neutral, 10g in heel / 1g in toe: This was pretty interesting to me and not what I expected. First thing I noticed was a higher ball flight - more of a mid-high and less penetrating. Second thing is my shots were all over the place - left, straight, and right. I was not able to find any consistency in this setup. I am really unsure if the head weight threw my swing off or if my swing was just getting unpredictable after hitting 40 balls in less than 30 minutes. After about 20 balls in this setting, I had enough and made a change.

Test 3:

10.5*, sole plate at 1* closed, 1g toe / 10g heel: my goal of this setting was to see if I could raise the ball flight a hair over the stock and still see a good combination of flight/rollout. In all honesty, I think my swing was just amiss at this point as I was seeing about every type of shot you can imagine.

Next steps....

Moving forward, I know my preferred setup is just straight up as it was shipped to me at 10*, sole plate neutral, and 1g toe / 10g heel. I still hope to play on a wet course so I can increase the loft to 12* and compare it to the standard setup and see how carry vs roll is impacted, etc.

Plans to play 18 both tomorrow and Sunday so looking forward to the real world feedback that really resonates with me more than range time.

Nice range write up. It looks like you may get your wish with the wet turf come Sunday. The early morning rain may give you a chance to see that 12° setting. I am looking forward to seeing it in person. I am curious to see the results first hand. I think you are going to enjoy the results, but that is just my opinion.

not good.. you think you may have cross threaded it and caused that yourself ? how do the threads look on the screws themselves now?

Nope - definitely did not cross thread it myself. Some other testers were talking last week about the R1 wrenches not fitting the screws really well and having to use an older TM wrench.

It still worked completely fine, but I saw a slight bit of stretch. Let me see if I can capture a good photo of it.

Nope - definitely did not cross thread it myself. Some other testers were talking last week about the R1 wrenches not fitting the screws really well and having to use an older TM wrench.

It still worked completely fine, but I saw a slight bit of stretch. Let me see if I can capture a good photo of it.

oh i gotcha i misunderstood you .. you mean the hole in the head of the screw is stripping

oh i gotcha i misunderstood you .. you mean the hole in the head of the screw is stripping

Precisely. Here are a few quick iPhone pics that hopefully shows what I am seeing.

1g still looks perfect:

ebesaguq.jpg

10g slightly stripped:

edamaja3.jpg

yep def can see that thing is getting chewed up .. how many times would you say you have changed it and its already that chewed up?

yep def can see that thing is getting chewed up .. how many times would you say you have changed it and its already that chewed up?

Today was the first day and I swapped them out 3 times. When tightening, I let the torque wrench click once and then done. No issues at all with loft or sole plate screws doing this.

Wow just read through a bunch of this thread and man you testers are doing some great work! Keep it up.

Today was the first day and I swapped them out 3 times. When tightening, I let the torque wrench click once and then done. No issues at all with loft or sole plate screws doing this.

That is pretty much exactly what mine looked like as well after the first night of moving things around. I really think the testers got a bad batch of wrenches or something. I started using an older wrench nad haven't noticed the problem getting any worse.

I didn't read that close enough the first time. The screws on the shaft and sole plates are the ones I noticed doing this first.

Last edited:
Is there a way to get weights and wrenches replaced?

Is there a way to get weights and wrenches replaced?

As part of testing or just general consumer? Since it is a standard TM wrench I am sure they can be found all day on eBay. Not sure if the weights are the same as was used in the R9, etc.

Back