Callaway X Utility Prototype Irons Preview

I wish I could hit hybrids consistently, it's be SO much easier on me. But, thats why I was SO excited about these, I viable option compared to the crazy eZone one...and for me it performs better as well.

Absolutely. It's funny because I tend to hit iron like hybrids better than a wood like hybrid. But make it look like a long iron and I'm awful

So jealous of you righties.

Absolutely. It's funny because I tend to hit iron like hybrids better than a wood like hybrid. But make it look like a long iron and I'm awful

I'm so damn mental, I KNOW I need to hit a hybo like an iron, but when there is graphite in a club I automatically go to my wood swing, its the damndest thing.

That just looks like something I wouldn't be able to hit

I'm so damn mental, I KNOW I need to hit a hybo like an iron, but when there is graphite in a club I automatically go to my wood swing, its the damndest thing.

Oh I am as mental as they come so I feel your pain.

They are coming JN!

I might not be able to hit it well, but this is one club that I am absolutely dying to hit. Just hope they don't delay too much with their LH heads.

Same here. Every time I get a hybo in my hand I just recite to myself "Hit at it". Thats the only way I get any sort of decent contact.

Same here. Every time I get a hybo in my hand I just recite to myself "Hit at it". Thats the only way I get any sort of decent contact.

I'm pretty much the same, I have to ell myself to "hold off your hands" as well for some reason. I think that's why I get along with the fairway-like hybo's more than the iron-like ones. MENTAL I tell you!

I really am enjoying this though, It has legitimately crossed my mind to rock the 18 in place of my beloved 19* Adams S hybo after being out there. I just hit the 21 so damn well.

JMan: Have you tried a steel shafted hybrid? I had a set of steel HB3s and found them fair straighter than any other hybrid I've hit.

Personally, my issue with hybrids is that I just don't find the ball dispersion to be as tight as with an iron. If I can play an iron in a slot, I will up until I'm forced to go to the hybrid. With my current iron set that line is the 4 iron.

I'm not saying the prototypes are for me. I simply don't have the swing for it. It's more just talking about clubs.

Just catching up post blizzard...Jman, very jealous you got to swing this thing man! Love the thoughts so far an have a serious eye on this thing as soon as I can find one close enough to me to hit. Great in hand pics as well. Thanks buddy.

On my iPhone T.. T.. Tapatalking away!

JMan: Have you tried a steel shafted hybrid? I had a set of steel HB3s and found them fair straighter than any other hybrid I've hit.

Personally, my issue with hybrids is that I just don't find the ball dispersion to be as tight as with an iron. If I can play an iron in a slot, I will up until I'm forced to go to the hybrid. With my current iron set that line is the 4 iron.

I'm not saying the prototypes are for me. I simply don't have the swing for it. It's more just talking about clubs.

I used to rock steel shafted hybos all the time, I still prefer it if I'm being honest. But graphite has come SO far I feel like I'm missing something by it.

Its that mental catch-22 for me. These simply override all of that for me. Good stuff.

That address photo makes me think I couldn't hit these, not a lot of room for error.

I really need to purchase one of these. I think I just might soon...... I have a spot open at 24*....

I really need to purchase one of these. I think I just might soon...... I have a spot open at 24*....

It really is a fun club. I was excited, yet hesitant, but man its just fun. I really am thinking about making room for another one either up, or down.

It really is a fun club. I was excited, yet hesitant, but man its just fun. I really am thinking about making room for another one either up, or down.

This is the club I was waiting on last summer, then I bought a cheap Callaway hybo (great club just 3 years old). Still want one of these bad.

Did you like the PXi shaft in it? Or would you match the shaft to your irons?

This is the club I was waiting on last summer, then I bought a cheap Callaway hybo (great club just 3 years old). Still want one of these bad.

Did you like the PXi shaft in it? Or would you match the shaft to your irons?

I've been waiting since we first caught glimpse as well, eagerly waiting....hehe

So far, I like it, it honestly feels nothing like a PX to me, which in my case is a HUGELY good thing as I am NOT a PX fan in irons at all. For now, no plans to change, but I wouldn't put it past me at some point.

I've been waiting since we first caught glimpse as well, eagerly waiting....hehe

So far, I like it, it honestly feels nothing like a PX to me, which in my case is a HUGELY good thing as I am NOT a PX fan in irons at all. For now, no plans to change, but I wouldn't put it past me at some point.

That is the one thing I'm not sure of- I love the PX line. I don't know if I'd match it or just play the stock (which is obviously solid).

Walked into the PGA store this weekend and low and behold the X utility irons where in! They only had a few of them and I was quite excited to see them up close in person. They are pretty! Quickly asked the sales guy if he could tape it up so I could take a crack at a few balls. And a cracking away I did!

First off, it looks great at setup. Just really clean, not too open and not too closed. Just a good neutral look at address. I ended up hitting about 15 balls and even halfway through took the old tape off and reapplied the tape just in case. Did not want to damage this beauty for the person that was going to buy this club one day. Oh, BTW, I was hitting the 21 degree. After 15 hits I reluctantly gave the club back and left wanting a lot more.

The distance was crazy for the 21 degree. I hit a few in the 240's on the launch monitor and was scratching my head. I did hit a few right and a few left. But when I connected it was a straight beauty. This is one club that I really really really need to hit on the range to see the flight and control. I got what I needed from the monitor and just the feel of the club at impact but this has to be hit on the range for me to tell 100%. My only concern was if I was getting the ball high enough in the air off the ground. If so, this club has some good potential for me. Color me impressed to start but I have way more questions that need to be answered.

To Be Continued...........

I really wanted to like this club, but I hit it at golf galaxy and didn't see the results I had hoped for. The distance was not there compared to my 4 iron which I was looking to replace to get something a little more consistent. Consistent I was not with this club! Out of about 20 shots I would say 5 shots were hit well. I just couldn't swing it. Maybe I will give it try outside sometime once the weather turns.

Thanks for the feedback Mercer! I certainly think its just one that won't be for everyone at all, but, that's the case with most things out there!

I killed this one today when I pulled it out. Also found another incredibly useful shot for me personally with it, the bump and runner our from under overhangs/trees.

Thanks for the feedback Mercer! I certainly think its just one that won't be for everyone at all, but, that's the case with most things out there!

I killed this one today when I pulled it out. Also found another incredibly useful shot for me personally with it, the bump and runner our from under overhangs/trees.

Nice dude. About how far are you hitting this compared to a hybrid or 3 iron of the same loft?

Nice dude. About how far are you hitting this compared to a hybrid or 3 iron of the same loft?

Well, its about 8-10 shorter for me than my 19* Adams S, that said, I've honestly not tried to just "jump all over" one since I'm using it to fill the gap to my 5i as well, I've put it through some unique paces/distances for me just eyeing versatility b/c its a BIG gap for me to fill. All that said, I'm hoping to finally get a just "range day" this week to actually see full distances, I'm eager to see it myself.

Well, its about 8-10 shorter for me than my 19* Adams S, that said, I've honestly not tried to just "jump all over" one since I'm using it to fill the gap to my 5i as well, I've put it through some unique paces/distances for me just eyeing versatility b/c its a BIG gap for me to fill. All that said, I'm hoping to finally get a just "range day" this week to actually see full distances, I'm eager to see it myself.

Solid. Let us know what you find.

Back