TaylorMade RBZ Stage 2 Fairway Review Thread

Hitting the range tomorrow, if the wind isn't gusting 50mph. Hope to spend some time working with the Stage 2 again. Need to see if I can hit the face still and something new. Would like to see if I can flight it really low, like a stinger shot. Trying to keep it out of the wind and then run out. The past 2 weekends have shown me that this shot is a requirement to play golf in Texas this time of the year. I had forgotten how much wind we get in the spring. Usually, this time of year, I am working to much and don't have time for golf.

Well the day has dawned cold (below freezing) and foggy, but the weatherman tells me it will get into the 50s today and will be sunny with little wind. So my task in the next two hours is to clear my work out the way and get myself a few hours to get on the course! Gonna leave the driver at home and get as much time with the stage 2 as I can. Will also be working my 3H as I have a golf match next Wednesday and want to ensure I am comfortable for it.

Hi,

I'm not testing this but took the plunge and bought a stage2 3 wood (reg) last weekend and thought I'd share my thoughts.

Firstly thanks to all. The comments, especially on the ease of launch off the deck pushed me into hitting this more and then buying it. I have an original RBZ 3 wood, but the tour in stiff - I used to hit it well, but struggled a bit off the deck but have slowed my swing down with woods to improve my accuracy and found that I was having trouble with the stiffer shaft and getting the club through straight on impact.

Solution - shaft change or whole club change? I went for the full club and don't regret it, despite not being out on the course with it yet I am hugely impressed. I get 30 mins daily on a sim as part of my membership package at a place next to my office so I am lucky enough to have hit the stage2 (including the tour and the HL) next to the original in regular a fair bit and had a couple of outdoor range sessions before committing. I'm playing 4 times on a tight championship links course this weekend and the stage2 will hopefully come into its own. Weather not looking good though.

My one piece of advice would be this. Those with issues on shaft weight: slow your swing down! Ask yourself the question - do I really need to bomb a 3 wood 275 yards? I am averaging about 240 and I hardly need to hit the thing. It is almost cheating.

Yes, I can easily crank it up another 30 yards or so but then I need to allow for a good 10-15 yards margin for error either side. That is what my driver is for. I'll take 240, easy swing and down the middle every day thanks. Obsession with distance and feeling the need to have a stiff shaft will damage your game. Fact. Hit what works for you and fits the distance you need. Technology in these clubs now mean you don't need to force it.

Do I hit it longer than the original? Maybe, it feels like I do but I'll judge that on the course and with a decent ball. I don't struggle with distance so accuracy and confidence is more key to my game. Stage2 seems to tick the box there.

My thoughts below:

Positives
+ easy to hit, both off the tee and off the deck
+ long. a very easy swing gets me around 240. I'm, talking probably 3/4 length at about 95-100mph.
+ good penetrating flight, slight draw. I see no meaningful change in flight or distance off the deck which is exactly what I was looking for.
+ probably due to the above 3 points, but I feel very confident standing over it.
+ the rocketfuel shaft feels a lot more stable than the stock in the orignal RBZ.

Negative
- appearance! Although I have to say I do think the alignment aids on the crown are helpful, I don't like the look of the club. I am a fan of the black/white but the yellow/grey? Appearance is irrelevant though if the club does the job.
- loud. Very loud. But I agree when you really middle it, your playing partners are going to know about it.
- too long? Like I said, when I crank it up a notch I'm not sure I'll see much of a difference in length to my driver. This will leave a fairly big hole down to a 3 iron at 210 yards. I may need top pick up a stage2 5 wood or I should learn how to hit a recovery, something I really struggle with.
- not easy to shape, especially trying to fade it. I imagine the draw bias is causing that.

Hope this helps. Happy to post an update after this weekends golf-athon if that would be useful?

I will admit to skimming the last couple of pages, but the question I was looking for an answer to was how much easier is the Stage 2 to hit over the original RBZ

From what I have read, I am getting the impression that it is much easier to hit, but are people seeing the claimed distance increase? I am not sure it would be enough for me to justify upgrading from the original RBZ seeing as how I do hit those quite well....?

As above, I find it much easier to launch off the deck. I have dropped from stiff to regular shaft though too and swinging it much easier so that may also have helped.

I don't think it will be much longer to be honest, time will tell, but it is definitely easier to hit and the shaft feels more stable.

Hi,

I'm not testing this but took the plunge and bought a stage2 3 wood (reg) last weekend and thought I'd share my thoughts.

Firstly thanks to all. The comments, especially on the ease of launch off the deck pushed me into hitting this more and then buying it. I have an original RBZ 3 wood, but the tour in stiff - I used to hit it well, but struggled a bit off the deck but have slowed my swing down with woods to improve my accuracy and found that I was having trouble with the stiffer shaft and getting the club through straight on impact.

Solution - shaft change or whole club change? I went for the full club and don't regret it, despite not being out on the course with it yet I am hugely impressed. I get 30 mins daily on a sim as part of my membership package at a place next to my office so I am lucky enough to have hit the stage2 (including the tour and the HL) next to the original in regular a fair bit and had a couple of outdoor range sessions before committing. I'm playing 4 times on a tight championship links course this weekend and the stage2 will hopefully come into its own. Weather not looking good though.

My one piece of advice would be this. Those with issues on shaft weight: slow your swing down! Ask yourself the question - do I really need to bomb a 3 wood 275 yards? I am averaging about 240 and I hardly need to hit the thing. It is almost cheating.

Yes, I can easily crank it up another 30 yards or so but then I need to allow for a good 10-15 yards margin for error either side. That is what my driver is for. I'll take 240, easy swing and down the middle every day thanks. Obsession with distance and feeling the need to have a stiff shaft will damage your game. Fact. Hit what works for you and fits the distance you need. Technology in these clubs now mean you don't need to force it.

Do I hit it longer than the original? Maybe, it feels like I do but I'll judge that on the course and with a decent ball. I don't struggle with distance so accuracy and confidence is more key to my game. Stage2 seems to tick the box there.

My thoughts below:

Positives
+ long. a very easy swing gets me around 240. I'm, talking probably 3/4 length at about 95-100mph.
+ good penetrating flight, slight draw. I see no meaningful change in flight or distance off the deck which is exactly what I was looking for.
+ probably due to the above 3 points, but I feel very confident standing over it.
+ the rocketfuel shaft feels a lot more stable than the stock in the orignal RBZ.

Negative
- appearance! Although I have to say I do think the alignment aids on the crown are helpful, I don't like the look of the club. I am a fan of the black/white but the yellow/grey? Appearance is irrelevant though if the club does the job.
- loud. Very loud. But I agree when you really middle it, your playing partners are going to know about it.
- too long? Like I said, when I crank it up a notch I'm not sure I'll see much of a difference in length to my driver. This will leave a fairly big hole down to a 3 iron at 210 yards. I may need top pick up a stage2 5 wood or I should learn how to hit a recovery, something I really struggle with.
- not easy to shape, especially trying to fade it. I imagine the draw bias is causing that.

Hope this helps. Happy to post an update after this weekends golf-athon if that would be useful?

Nice intial thoughts. Looking forward to hearing how the rounds go this weekend for you.

I will admit to skimming the last couple of pages, but the question I was looking for an answer to was how much easier is the Stage 2 to hit over the original RBZ

From what I have read, I am getting the impression that it is much easier to hit, but are people seeing the claimed distance increase? I am not sure it would be enough for me to justify upgrading from the original RBZ seeing as how I do hit those quite well....?

There are quite a few post from people that have played last years RBZ. The consensus seems to be that the Stage 2 is quite a bit easier to take off the deck. I don't recall the reasons why, but I believe they talked about the differences in the sole design lending to better turf interaction.

Hi,

My thoughts below:

Positives

Negative

Thanks for posting your thoughts and post an update after playing this weekend. I would be interested to hear how the Stage 2 works on the course for you.

I've said a few times as I take a nice, easy swing I will see good results. The trick is reminding myself to take a controlled swing.

It is is easier to hit and more forgiving. For people that struggled with the original like I did, I would suggest checking out the Stage 2.

As far as the claim in distance increase goes, I imagine that might vary from person to person. When I hit them both on the launch monitor, the Stage 2 averaged 4 more yards in carry distance. Not a huge increase, but it was consistently longer.

It is is easier to hit and more forgiving. For people that struggled with the original like I did, I would suggest checking out the Stage 2.

As far as the claim in distance increase goes, I imagine that might vary from person to person. When I hit them both on the launch monitor, the Stage 2 averaged 4 more yards in carry distance. Not a huge increase, but it was consistently longer.

Cheers

Seeing as I don't have a problem with hitting it from the tee or off the deck I guess I will stick with the originals for now

Can someone tell me how they measure the length of the club? I found a shaft for a Stage 2 3-wood and it measures 43" without a head installed. Would this be comparable to a stock RBZ S2 shaft or a little longer? I was planning to use this shaft with the Stage 2 Tour 14.5 head.

Can someone tell me how they measure the length of the club? I found a shaft for a Stage 2 3-wood and it measures 43" without a head installed. Would this be comparable to a stock RBZ S2 shaft or a little longer? I was planning to use this shaft with the Stage 2 Tour 14.5 head.

I think that would be a little long for standard. My RBZ Stage 2 complete measures 43.25", so with a head installed, that club would probably play closer to 44" it sounds like. You could butt trim to achieve the desired playing length though. If you have any other questions regarding the shaft and building it to your playing specs, post a new thread about it in the club building section of the forum, so we aren't tying up the review thread with club building questions.

Cheers

Seeing as I don't have a problem with hitting it from the tee or off the deck I guess I will stick with the originals for now
I would say give the new one a try. I greatly prefer it over last years model, think it is significantly improved in many areas.

Would like to see if I can flight it really low, like a stinger shot.
The flight for me is a mid penetrating flight, but have yet to experience the high winds you guys saw over the weekend with it on the course. My ball position in relation to stance is usually just to the left of my center line off the deck, but if I move it forward I start to see added height. Going to the range and to a B&M to get some flex measurements on the Regular today. What you are going to do sounds interesting and may try to move my ball back a little to see if I can produce the stinger shot you mention.

My one piece of advice would be this. Those with issues on shaft weight: slow your swing down! Ask yourself the question - do I really need to bomb a 3 wood 275 yards?
I have to agree wholly with these statements in regards to swing tempo and aggressiveness. May have to give it a go as well today to see what happens when I do go after it with some numbers. My comments about the shaft were not really directed at the weight...but more towards the feel. Whatever the make-up of the technical aspects that are unknown to me, my 5X B Asha has a better "feel" to it than the RocketFuel Stiff does. That may not be a fair comparison, but the same trend also flows with the 3W Fujikura Stiff I also have. IMPO, these Matrix stock shafts are being put out there with a little more control in mind so that most golfers will be finding more fairways. The "feel" I keep mentioning is not necessarily a bad thing mind you, it's just my personal opinion. I'm still confident when I address the ball with this club anywhere on the course. It's my personal quest to find out what I'm experiencing with the "feel" aspect. Or maybe I should just stop speaking to it altogether.

I am averaging about 240 and I hardly need to hit the thing. It is almost cheating.... - - Technology in these clubs now mean you don't need to force it.
The club has more than enough tech built in to get it out there...therefor legal cheating:act-up:. However, now you might have to replace a few more clubs to get your gaps corrected if your not careful and just go grab one based on a number on the club.

Some great input and look forward to what you see on the course!

Not an official tester, but I got my 9 holes in today! Played two balls each hole, so effectively 18 holes.
Temp started off at high 40s, ended up pushing 60, light wind, almost perfect golf weather. Should add, I had no time to warm up, straight onto first tee!
Didnt use it for holes 1,2,3 (4,5,6!). Pulled it out on the 4th. 290 yards par 4, tight drive. First ball, I topped it totally and it ran for about 120 yards.
Second ball, an absolute peach, flew straight, tiny bit of right to left but not much, slight roll out, drive measrured at 240.
Didnt use it on next as water is at the 250/275 mark.
Next Hole, 300 yards par 4, again very tight. First one was pulled slightly and continued to draw, into heavy rough and 235 yards. Second ball was a bigger draw and bigger pull, ended up on the adjacent fairway but only about 35 yards short of the green so about a 260 yard hit! it felt huge when I struck it! next hole par 3 so ignored. Then onto the 2nd toughest hole, 378 yards par 4 although tee was about 25 yards forward so call it 350. Struck both balls very sweetly, they ended up 10 yards apart width wise, and one ball was 2 yards longer (I put both approaches within 8 ft - one was 18 inches!). Thought I had the game sussed........then on final hole I blocked one right into the trees and pulled/drew one into left rough!

In summary, when struck well this club really delivers for me, but I have yet to iron out my swing. It is not the club at fault. The block on the last was to try to compensate for the draw on the previous ball.

I would say give the new one a try. I greatly prefer it over last years model, think it is significantly improved in many areas.

Good point. Nothing to lose. If you don't see better results, you know you are good with what you have. I really didn't expect there to much of a difference between the models, but I was wrong. I've been impressed with the improvements they have made.

Not an official tester, but I got my 9 holes in today! Played two balls each hole, so effectively 18 holes.
Temp started off at high 40s, ended up pushing 60, light wind, almost perfect golf weather.
Didnt use it for holes 1,2,3 (4,5,6!). Pulled it out on the 4th. 290 yards par 4, tight drive. First ball, I topped it totally and it ran for about 120 yards.
Second ball, an absolute peach, flew straight, tiny bit of right to left but not much, slight roll out, drive measrured at 240.
Next Hole, 300 yards par 4, again very tight. First one was pulled slightly and continued to draw, into heavy rough and 235 yards. Second ball was a bigger draw and bigger pull, ended up on the adjacent fairway but only about 35 yards short of the green so about a 260 yard hit! it felt huge when I struck it! next hole par 3 so ignored. Then onto the 2nd toughest hole, 378 yards par 4 although tee was about 25 yards forward so call it 350. Struck both balls very sweetly, they ended up 10 yards apart width wise, and one ball was 2 yards longer (I put both approaches within 8 ft - one was 18 inches!). Thought I had the game sussed........then on final hole I blocked one right into the trees and pulled/drew one into left rough!

In summary, when struck well this club really delivers for me, but I have yet to iron out my swing. It is not the club at fault. The block on the last was to try to compensate for the draw on the previous ball.
Great stuff Sibbers!

You say you topped one pretty nasty to the tune of 120 yards, that's not something I have struggled with the Stage 2 so far, mainly due to it being longer than my previous 3W. Are you choking down a bit, or was it just a fluke swing that caused the topped ball?

Cheers

I think it's worth the endeavor to take your original with you and put them head to head. As War mentioned, this is worth an attempt for sure. The face of the RBZS2 is such a sweet profile it almost demands to be hit off the deck with plenty of room heal to toe for forgiveness..imo.

Great stuff Sibbers!

You say you topped one pretty nasty to the tune of 120 yards, that's not something I have struggled with the Stage 2 so far, mainly due to it being longer than my previous 3W. Are you choking down a bit, or was it just a fluke swing that caused the topped ball?
Funnily enough, I had read on here about people choking down, so as it was my first shot of teh round with the club I choked down a bit. Lo and behold I topped it. Only time I topped the ball all round!

As above, I find it much easier to launch off the deck. I have dropped from stiff to regular shaft though too and swinging it much easier so that may also have helped.

I don't think it will be much longer to be honest, time will tell, but it is definitely easier to hit and the shaft feels more stable.

Mjab,

I'm planning on buying a new RBZ stage 3 wood this weekend when I go to the store to demo. I was leaning towards the Tour 3 or Tour 3HL. You said in a earlier post that you were lucky enough to hit both of them yet, you selected the standard 3 wood to game. I was just curious why you picked the standard over the over two?

cheers

Temp started off at high 40s, ended up pushing 60, light wind, almost perfect golf weather. Should add, I had no time to warm up, straight onto first tee!

Nice writeup, those are some great distances you are seeing off of the tee, Id take those in a heartbeat

Funnily enough, I had read on here about people choking down, so as it was my first shot of teh round with the club I choked down a bit. Lo and behold I topped it. Only time I topped the ball all round!
I've been choking down on the Stage 2 a bit...Sorry for the bad advice. Haha!

Good point. Nothing to lose. If you don't see better results, you know you are good with what you have. I really didn't expect there to much of a difference between the models, but I was wrong. I've been impressed with the improvements they have made.

I think it's worth the endeavor to take your original with you and put them head to head. As War mentioned, this is worth an attempt for sure. The face of the RBZS2 is such a sweet profile it almost demands to be hit off the deck with plenty of room heal to toe for forgiveness..imo.

Dammit guys, you have just ruined what I thought was a perfectly valid reason NOT to give the club a try!!!!!

If I end up with a new 3W and 5W sometime in the next few weeks or so, I am sending you lot the bill!!!!! :smile-big:

The club has more than enough tech built in to get it out there...therefor legal cheating:act-up:. However, now you might have to replace a few more clubs to get your gaps corrected if your not careful and just go grab one based on a number on the club.

Some great input and look forward to what you see on the course!
I was talking with another THP'ers this weekend about this very thing. If this status in the bag, which I believe it might, I will have to re do my hybrid. I Am getting new irons, but will now have to get new hybrids to cover my gaps. Not necessarily a bad thing though. There will be a bunch of unobtainable yardages if I don't change.

I agree totally. You need to go test these head to head. I think you will be surprised by the side by side results.

So, I kinda hit this pretty dang well yesterday...and I SHOULD have sucked up my ego and used it more than I did with how terrible i was with the driver and the wind. I'm still not sold on the shaft, but the head made some strides with me. I'd love to hit it next to the XHP.

I thought you hit my XHP on the range? I know Cookie did

I talked to a guy at TM today about specs and what made this club different from others, and he said that he's gonna work on hitting me up with either a free one or a discounted one. That's awesome customer service, and a really kind gesture from TM.

Back