should I consider oversize grip?

syndicate559

Sweet Trajectory
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 12.6
I've been curious about trying an oversize grip, like a Super Stroke or something of that nature, for about a year now. I don't have any awful putting issues, but I do push a put left or right on occasion. Is the general goal of these grips to keep you from rotating the face of the putter as easily as with a slimmer grip? Any of you using them for the same reason, or should I just stay where I'm at if I'm not having massive problems?

In theory I think the putter should still rotate no matter how big the grip is. The only way the putter face can stay square is with wrist manipulation. Some find the larger grip prevents the wrists from 'breaking down' so if this is an issue for you it's an option to think about.

I got a Winn Jumbo Lite on mine and love it. If you have an old putter laying around, it'd be a pretty cheap way to try it out before putting one on your gamer.

Could always try a midsize. I switched to one and love it. I didn't have any horrible putting issues either, it was just to try it out. And I find it more comfortable than a standard one generally.

I got a Winn Jumbo Lite on mine and love it. If you have an old putter laying around, it'd be a pretty cheap way to try it out before putting one on your gamer.

My putter is an OLD putter, haha! It's about a 15-year-old Odyssey Rossie blade, but I still like it. Still has the stock grip, which is kind of plastic-like compared to the nicer ones coming on putters today, so it's something I've been planning to upgrade, just not sure which way to go

It's a cheap experiment at the least. I went to midsize and then the jumbo Winn and it's really helped me out, especially with tension in my hands and arms.

The only way to truly know is to try one.

In theory I think the putter should still rotate no matter how big the grip is. The only way the putter face can stay square is with wrist manipulation. Some find the larger grip prevents the wrists from 'breaking down' so if this is an issue for you it's an option to think about.

This. I just recently had a winn jumbo grip put on my putter. Putter just feels better with it.

I tried one (Superstroke Fatso) and couldn't get it off fast enough. I would make sure that you get one that is lightweight, or buy some lead tape for your putter head. When I put it on, my putter head felt extremely light and I quit releasing the putter. I have two friends that use the same grip and love it. You can get them on eBay for $15 shipped, so they are relatively cheap to try. To each is own.

I've tried a few and some have worked better than others for me. My favorite so far has been the 2 Thumb Putter grip.

I've been curious about trying an oversize grip, like a Super Stroke or something of that nature, for about a year now. I don't have any awful putting issues, but I do push a put left or right on occasion. Is the general goal of these grips to keep you from rotating the face of the putter as easily as with a slimmer grip? Any of you using them for the same reason, or should I just stay where I'm at if I'm not having massive problems?

I'm currently using a oversize Ping AVS and I love it. I have been fighting a push myself and I'm not sure any grip will totally fix it. I worked through my issue with work with my teacher and he liked the idea of the fat grip. I'm a bit wristy as well and the grip helps a little with both issues or at least it is helping me. Grips are cheap and easy to change.

I like a bigger putter grip. I don't really buy into the traditional belief that it keeps the wrists from breaking, but I do prefer it to normal size grips. Seems like I can hold it with a little less pressure in my fingers.

I switched to a midsize 2 years ago and love it... really quiets my hands from around moving to much.

That's the nice thing about putter grips, cheap and easy changes, so you can try em' until you find one you do. Cheap experimenting.

I will add this. My miss is a pull as well, and I have found oftentimes it is an alignment issue as much or more than stroke issue. For some, alignment is harder than others, and aiming left and making a pure stroke is oftentimes the cause of my pulls. And that's an even cheaper fix!

thanks, guys. I like the idea of possibly having a more relaxed grip on the putter. Think I'll give a mid-size a try first and go from there.

I have the Winn Jumbo on my Ghost Spider and really like it.
I can't see going back to a standard size....ever.

I am intrigued by the Super Stroke grips and this will be the year I give them a try

It's all about feel/personal preference. Try one out and if you like it, go from there.

I use midsize to reduce any wrist movement

Having the same decision and am going to put a Ping Palm Lock AVS grip on my putter. Very light grip for an oversize one and the flat sides grip naturally for me. (Probably because I had the old PL grip on my very first putter). I'm switching it out this week and will give some feedback after some play.

went to a golf shop today and checked some different grips out. Decided to throw a Super Stroke Slim 3.0 on and I'll try it out this weekend, if not sooner at the range.

Tried my friend's Yes! Sophia 12 putter with the Super Stroke 1.0 last weekend. It was my first experience with a bigger grip putter and I'm hooked. Managed to sink in a 10 feet putt on my first try. I'm getting the exact same setup very soon.

I just got a Super Stroke Mid Slim a couple weeks ago and I really like it. It has helped my consistency and accuracy quite a bit. I do feel like the face stays put easier with less rotation. Since the circumference of the grip is larger, I think the rotation of the putter face is less per the same amount of hand/wrist rotation. I had this put on a new putter (Odyssey Versa 2-ball) and the combination is working great for me, with about 5 less puts per round atm.

I just got a Super Stroke Mid Slim a couple weeks ago and I really like it. It has helped my consistency and accuracy quite a bit. I do feel like the face stays put easier with less rotation. Since the circumference of the grip is larger, I think the rotation of the putter face is less per the same amount of hand/wrist rotation. I had this put on a new putter (Odyssey Versa 2-ball) and the combination is working great for me, with about 5 less puts per round atm.

Nice, those Versas look really cool.

Came across the large version of this at the UK THP day. You definitely grip the putter lighter but I'm happy with my stroke at the moment so I'll leave it for a while.

If you grip your putter too tight though well worth a go

Back