Shoulder/Upper back problems. Anyone had em?

I had this surgery last Feb. You'll be feeling so much better. Hope you do well and recover quickly.

I had this surgery last Feb. You'll be feeling so much better. Hope you do well and recover quickly.

I have no idea what I'm getting into, but I know the way it has been the past three weeks or so has not been good. I trust these guys and I'm sure they will get it done and get me back to work and golf.

How long was you laid up KB? They are saying I should get to come 6 hours or so after the surgery. They didn't tell me much of what to expect over the next few days outside of saying I could putt at home soon and at the course as soon as I can drive, weather permitting.

Thanks everyone for the kind words!

My brother and I both had the same surgery last year. I stayed overnight but my brother came home the same day. They had me hooked up to a morphine pump and it made me sick. He was given pain pills and sent home and did fine. You will have several days or longer trying to find a comfortable way to sleep. That's the worse part. He slept in his recliner and I bought a wedge pillow to prop on. I doubt you will want to putt the first week. I think they let me play golf in 5-6 weeks. Best wishes!!!

Got the news I was not wanting. I am having anterior cervical fusion surgery tomorrow at noon. I got the opinions of two neurologist and they both though given what they are seeing in my MRI and what pain I have, that this is the best option for me. I will be off work awhile, but the good news is they say I can more than likely use a putter around home and at the course in just a week or so. Not what I was hoping for, but in the long run this sounds like the best option to get back to being mostly pain free, working and playing golf. They say work and golf should be ok in a few weeks.

Best of luck to you and your surgeon. Get it past you, later on when you are so much better, it will all seem worth it.

My brother and I both had the same surgery last year. I stayed overnight but my brother came home the same day. They had me hooked up to a morphine pump and it made me sick. He was given pain pills and sent home and did fine. You will have several days or longer trying to find a comfortable way to sleep. That's the worse part. He slept in his recliner and I bought a wedge pillow to prop on. I doubt you will want to putt the first week. I think they let me play golf in 5-6 weeks. Best wishes!!!

Thank you for the reply. I've had plenty of pain the past three weeks but I'm sure it will get worse before it gets better. He just said about the same thing as far as going back to work and golf. I don't go back until April 22nd for the follow up as long as things go good. He said it was ok to putt at home and at the course as soon as I feel like it which he said could be in a week or so.

I fell last summer at work and hurt my leg. Had a MRI that showed nothing more than a really deep bruise. I didn't miss any work other than the day I had the MRI but I slept in my bedroom recliner for three weeks straight so I've been there. Might have to do it again I guess.

Thanks for the replies. It gives me some idea what I'm in for next.

Hoosier, god speed sir.

well I saw my doctor today and he order an MRI for next week to see if I have any issue with the spin. The pain I have been dealing with is tied into the neck region. Pain management until next week. I hope it all goes away soon.

Hope all goes well for you HG and hate hearing the news, but getting rid of the pain is a good thing.

Hope you find an answer as well Freddie!

Hoosier, god speed sir.

well I saw my doctor today and he order an MRI for next week to see if I have any issue with the spin. The pain I have been dealing with is tied into the neck region. Pain management until next week. I hope it all goes away soon.

I hope the best for you as well. It would be nice if it would just go away for sure.

Little bit nervous this morning. Hard part is no food or water since midnight. Leaving in about a half hour, surgery in 3 1/2 hours. I'm ready as one can be to just get on with it and get the healing process started. I have never missed more than 2 weeks of work at any one time ever in my life and then it has only ever been for vacation. Been home nearly 3 weeks now and I'm looking at no less than 6 weeks more. I'll be going stir crazy soon I'm sure. Thanks everyone for allowing me to whine a bit and share what is happening. Good health is key to everything we do and I've taken mine for granted a long long time. Hope to be back here later this evening!

Little bit nervous this morning. Hard part is no food or water since midnight. Leaving in about a half hour, surgery in 3 1/2 hours. I'm ready as one can be to just get on with it and get the healing process started. I have never missed more than 2 weeks of work at any one time ever in my life and then it has only ever been for vacation. Been home nearly 3 weeks now and I'm looking at no less than 6 weeks more. I'll be going stir crazy soon I'm sure. Thanks everyone for allowing me to whine a bit and share what is happening. Good health is key to everything we do and I've taken mine for granted a long long time. Hope to be back here later this evening!

You'll be fine! Back to tinkering in your shop in no time.

Please keep us posted of your progress!

Good luck!!!!

Hope it all went well, HG.

What a day! Finally made it home. Dr. said the surgery was a success and went well. It took about 2 hours and 15 minutes he said. Not feeling well right now of course so I think I'll kick back and try and rest a little. My throat of course is really sore and I'm having moderate pain everywhere else but of course that is to be expected. Here is the little card they gave me for air travel.

Thanks for all of the support and allowing me a place to share this whole experience!

ZZZ-Neck.jpg

Wow...that hits close to home and hopefully you heal quickly and footsteps are not followed. Thanks for keeping us updated and glad your home to start the recovery! That's some scary process for sure!

Glad it went well Hoosier. Hope you bounce back 100% quickly.

So glad your surgery went well. Thanks for keeping us posted. Hope you feel better really soon.

Glad to hear the surgery went well, hope you are back up and running soon without any further problems

Sore throat - don't you just love the airways that they put down your throat while you are under the anaesthetic....I hope they took it out before you came round too much, I remember having a very lucid moment as I was coming round after an op on my hand and I felt like I was choking on it as they took it out....not a nice memory

Glad to here everything went well Hoosier. Hoping you have a quick recovery and can get back out on the course soon!

Thanks everyone. All went well. I was very lucky to have the surgery so quickly. At first they said that was my best option but that I would have to wait two to four weeks. In this situation, the neurosurgeon I was seeing is the son of their leading neurosurgeon so I got opinions from both of them. The big surprise was that they came back in and said someone was cancelled for surgery the next day so they moved me into that spot. This gave me no time to decide. The bottom line was it was either now or later. They felt like there was no other option, so I said OK. Kind of nice to not have to sit around another 3 weeks or so waiting. I'm happy it is over.

KellyBo......You were right about trying to find a comfortable place. I've laid down on the bed a couple of times, but of course a hour so of that and I have to get up. Spending most of my time in the recliner. Lucky to have one in the bedroom along with my laptop. I think once I get to where I can swallow better, I'll feel better. I'm just thankful for good meds right now and THP to pass the time.

Glad to hear the surgery went well, hope you are back up and running soon without any further problems

Sore throat - don't you just love the airways that they put down your throat while you are under the anaesthetic....I hope they took it out before you came round too much, I remember having a very lucid moment as I was coming round after an op on my hand and I felt like I was choking on it as they took it out....not a nice memory

that has happened to me twice during endoscopys... last time I threw up. I wasn't happy!

You'll be back playing in no time Hoosier!

Well, a couple more days have passed. I'm still dealing with a very sore throat and I'm still having trouble swallowing. They told me this would happen so no surprise there I guess. The good news in all of this at this point is that the pain I was having before the surgery in my left shoulder and left arm is all but gone. Makes me feel better knowing that they were right and that the surgery was worth it.

Some of you may know that I was chosen last week here at THP to test the new Ping True Roll putter. I knew when I signed up that I was having these health issues, but I wasn't sure the surgery would be needed. GG contacted me I think last Thursday about ordering the putters from Ping. I decided to PM JB and let him know what was going on with me right now to see if he thought I should back out and let someone else take my place. He said I should go ahead and do the testing. I just want to do what is best for THP & Ping. I feel like I will be fine to do putter testing in a week or so and the surgeon agreed this would be all right. I can begin testing here at home first and then some at the course when it warms up a bit. I can give this a lot of time because I won't return to work any sooner than April 24th when I see the neurosurgeon again.

Well, a couple more days have passed. I'm still dealing with a very sore throat and I'm still having trouble swallowing. They told me this would happen so no surprise there I guess. The good news in all of this at this point is that the pain I was having before the surgery in my left shoulder and left arm is all but gone. Makes me feel better knowing that they were right and that the surgery was worth it.

Some of you may know that I was chosen last week here at THP to test the new Ping True Roll putter. I knew when I signed up that I was having these health issues, but I wasn't sure the surgery would be needed. GG contacted me I think last Thursday about ordering the putters from Ping. I decided to PM JB and let him know what was going on with me right now to see if he thought I should back out and let someone else take my place. He said I should go ahead and do the testing. I just want to do what is best for THP & Ping. I feel like I will be fine to do putter testing in a week or so and the surgeon agreed this would be all right. I can begin testing here at home first and then some at the course when it warms up a bit. I can give this a lot of time because I won't return to work any sooner than April 24th when I see the neurosurgeon again.

I don't think anyone at PING or THP will be upset! Glad you're feeling better! Get yourself healthy and then worry about the testing. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

I don't think anyone at PING or THP will be upset! Glad you're feeling better! Get yourself healthy and then worry about the testing. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

I should be good to go putting wise in a week or so. If anything, I'll actually have more time for testing than I would if I was working every day. I just hate not working. I'm not the call in sick type. I think that came from growing up on a farm where the work had to be done everyday no matter how sick you were. I've never missed this much work in my life so I'm already pretty stir crazy and I've got a lot of weeks to go yet. We have a ton of stuff we have been wanting to get rid of, so I think I'll do a bunch of auctions while I'm off. Ordered a bunch of free shipping boxes this morning from USPS. That will help me pass the time when I get feeling a little better and can lift a little.

Well, another sleepless night last night and not a lot of change today. The sore throat seems slightly better but still hard to swallow. I called the doctor's office today that did the surgery and they said nothing to worry about at this time. Pretty typical I guess. Still moderate pain in my neck and of course at the incision. I'm still pretty much stiff necked as well, but they said this would all slowly start going away in a week or so. Just wish I could figure out a way to sleep. The recliner is still the best option. Once I get settled in, I'm pretty pain free there for a couple of hours. Bed doesn't work at all. No position there is good. I just keep reminding myself that is ok if I don't sleep well. I'm not going anywhere for a while yet.

Sorry to hear Hoosier. Hope your progress is steady. If you don't have one, consider a thermo topper for your bed if you don't have one. They really do let your mattress conform to your body. $100 topper can get you much of the benefit a $2000 bed would. Really made a difference for me, letting me sleep on my side which relieves pressure on the back of the neck.

Nothing will likely change much short-term, but if sleep comfort remains a challenge, it's a low-cost experiment. We've actually bought one to improve a bed on vacation once.

Best

Back