Foley does not teach one specific swing. He does not have all I his students come into the ball with the same delivery angles, impact angles, or release angles. He works with every student independently uses their body mechanics to maximize their efficiency through feel and trackman numbers. He doesn't teach one swing.

I never said every instructor doesn't hang his hat on a specific method, but foley certainly does not.

Oh and by the way, Bridgestone Golf rules!

What's the difference between a rotary swing and a non-rotary swing? Some characteristics of each?

What's the difference between a rotary swing and a non-rotary swing? Some characteristics of each?

Iirc rotary swing is more reliant on the speed of the club working around the body hitting through the ball whereas a non rotary swing focuses on big body movements hitting at the ball.

That Foley video was pretty cool, he is certainly a numbers guy.

Thanks Thainer. The only reason I ask is because I'm curious what my instructor is teaching. Not that I expect him to be cut and dried in one way or the other, but still wonder if he leans towards a certain style. He's big into biomechanics, though I have no clue how that applies to what he teaches me.

Thanks Thainer. The only reason I ask is because I'm curious what my instructor is teaching. Not that I expect him to be cut and dried in one way or the other, but still wonder if he leans towards a certain style. He's big into biomechanics, though I have no clue how that applies to what he teaches me.

Is he trying to get you to swing "at the ball" more? Because you have the flattest swing I've ever seen.

No, we've never talked about that. We don't really talk about the ball at all. I know I'm super flat lol, but that wasn't something he forced me into. I think he'd change it if he could based off some of the drills he tries to get me to do.

Anyone who has watched Foley's instruction videos should be very clear about how he views the golf swing and what his swing philosophy and methods entail.

Hawk, The best way to find out what key fundamentals your instructor hangs his hat on is to ask. If he can't answer or doesn't know, find a new instructor.

Again. No two golfers will ever swing exactly the same. Never. Every good instructor recognizes this and works with what the student brings to the table.

Last edited:
Outside of curiosity, I'm not sure I really care that much. He's taken me a long way and I wouldn't consider dumping him for something like that.

Thain, awesome video dude. I have said before and I'll say it again, I am a Foley fan.

Thainer-excellent video. I like his defense of the critique of being too mechanical at the end. He does a good job of explaining how his approach is actually the inverse of mechanical. I do agree that a rotary swing may look more mechanical to the naked eye, but I believe that is due to the fewer moving parts and different weight shift.

Hawk-the best explanation I've heard defining the difference between the traditional vs rotary swing is:
  • Traditional: pivot style is to turn over the right leg with a pronounced lateral weight shift in both the back swing and through swing while "dropping" the club into the slot, you can spot these swings by watching the hand action required for the release of the club DTL; Phil Mickelson, Vijay Singh are both great examples
  • TPI: Pivot style is quiet lower body with intent to torque the upper body against the lower body, you can spot these swings by the disconnection of the arms from the body; Nick Watney, Adam Scott
  • Rotary: pivot style is to turn into the right leg with your weight staying more centered and your whole body turning neutral hands and arms, club gets on plane naturally without a conscious loop and you can spot these swings by seeing the connection of the arms to the body throughout; Dufner, Rose, Mahan

This is probably overly generalized but when I heard it, it "clicked" for me.

This is a cool thread BTW. To JB's and WBM's points it is always cool to talk about how 2 people can watch the same swing but "see" very different things.

Thanks All4's. Admittedly, I don't spend a great deal of time thinking about the golf swing. Always looking to learn.

All 4's,

Nice post. Another way to look at it is. Rotary = Minimal lateral back swing motion or Turning around a relatively fixed point.

All 4's,

Nice post. Another way to look at it is. Rotary = Minimal lateral back swing motion or Turning around a relatively fixed point.

Even better Grinder. If you can't tell I struggle mightily with being concise!

All Swing Instructors hang their hat on Something. This something, is what defines their Instruction philosophy and drives their Methods.

Example:

Jimmy Ballard- Connection
Jim Hardy - Swing Plane
Hank Haney- Swing Plane
Geoff Jones (Slicefixer) - Pivot
S & T - Pivot
Sean Foley - Pivot
Mike Hebron - Pivot
Bobby Clampett - Impact Zone
Chuck Quinton - Pivot

etc. etc. etc. etc.

Could the term 'pivot' be replaced with 'turn' or are they different?

Could the term 'pivot' be replaced with 'turn' or are they different?

Not quite. The right foot is a pivot point, where you're turning into it. The left foot is a pivot point, where you're shifting back towards it so you can rotate around it. Make sense?

Yea that does. Thanks Mr Ward.

Off topic, but - Grinder, you should come up to Chicago for the July Invitational.

Foley teaches a specific swing. Period.

Bridgestone golf???

No he does not.

Anyone who has watched Foley's instruction videos should be very clear about how he views the golf swing and what his swing philosophy and methods entail.

Yes. He has a philosophy. That everyone is different and can be tweaked accordingly for maximum efficiency. He does not teach "A specific swing. Period." You contradict yourself so harshly here.

Again. No two golfers will ever swing exactly the same. Never. Every good instructor recognizes this and works with what the student brings to the table.

No they wont. But foley doesnt ever try to accomplish that they all swing the same. He does not teach a specific swing, period. Ever. But ST and Haney and Harmons' swings are all what some may call "cookie cutter swings".

Like I said when you shot me down originally, he does teach a philosophy. Not a swing. They are two completely different things. Stack and tilt is a swing and theyre all the same. Haney teaches a swing and theyre all the same. The harmons teach swings and theyre all similar.

Foley teaches a philosophy.

That is a great post, Thain. I love the way Foley teaches as you describe it. It just makes so much sense to me.

Back