Callaway X-Hot Fairway Wood Preview Thread

Yeah. He sure did. That is a LOOOOOOOOOOOOONG 3W my friend!

I don't normally like to talk distances, but I did it two more times after that just to make sure it wasn't a complete fluke.

Believe me though, I know that just because I did it a couple times does not mean I will do it every time. Still, I am really confident this club right now.

I don't normally like to talk distances, but I did it two more times after that just to make sure it wasn't a complete fluke.

Believe me though, I know that just because I did it a couple times does not mean I will do it every time. Still, I am really confident this club right now.

And confidence is SO crucial to performance.

And confidence is SO crucial to performance.

Yup, I believe it's THE most important thing.

I'm in a little shock still though. It's just flat out FUN to hit regardless of distance I'm seeing. I think it'll make for smarter golf out of me.

Hit it off the deck once as well and had no issues at all.

Well dang.

I keep wanting new clubs!

It is sort of your fault I think!

I'm all about that second club for tee shots right now and I have a big desire to give this one some whacks.

I'm all about that second club for tee shots right now and I have a big desire to give this one some whacks.

Just do it, diapers aren't that important in the grand scheme of things.

I bet XHot vs. RBZ Stage 2 vs. Speedline Super S would be a pretty cool fairway wood battle.

That's what it will be for me, it just so happens I can apparently get it off the deck as well.

I'll honestly be pulling this a LOT more than a would have out of sheer confidence. That means smarter golf and smarter golf means better scores.

I bet XHot vs. RBZ Stage 2 vs. Speedline Super S would be a pretty cool fairway wood battle.

Separate funds!

That's what it will be for me, it just so happens I can apparently get it off the deck as well.

I'll honestly be pulling this a LOT more than a would have out of sheer confidence. That means smarter golf and smarter golf means better scores.

I like that!

I'll be getting this one out again today it looks like.

Considering playing it off the tee on every hole but the Par 5's, just to see.

Need to throw the Amp Cell 3/4 wood into the mix. Such an underrated fairway wood.

Need to throw the Amp Cell 3/4 wood into the mix. Such an underrated fairway wood.

I would agree with that. Plus the Classic.

I've hit them all this year an been impressed by them, this one though, has blown me away.

FINALLY! Up until now I've been unable to get out for some initial testing on the X Hot 3 wood that I'm doing a review on but that all changed today. My testing was at the indoor golf dome where I hit off mats and have 60 yards of flight before running out of room but it's a good range and I'm able to hit balls in the winter so I'll take it!

I have hit this at the golf shop multiple times but I don't always hit well in those small areas in the back of a golf store so it was nice to get a chance to get some swings in where I'm not worried about hitting the wall or ceiling. First thing I'll touch on is the size of this FW is actually bigger than I remember it being from the golf shop. At 180cc it is bigger than the TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 that I recently reviewed. Bigger isn't a bad thing as the X Hot 3 wood is still far from what I'd consider bulky or too big. It sets up great behind the ball and seems to be about the perfect depth for what I like my 3 wood to be. At the indoor range I only hit shots off the turf today and I had zero issues with getting the ball up in the air. I can already tell you that this thing will be an absolute bomber off a tee, you just get that sense immediately. The weight of the club head is something that I kept noticing as well, not heavy mind you, but definitely where I was able to feel the head throughout the swing and it gives me a feeling of a nice solid strike. Going into this review my biggest concern is whether or not the shaft (Stock PX Velocity Red). In testing X Hot drivers I found the red PXV to be a little soft for me and it has been talked about in great length in all the X Hot metal wood threads so it is something I'll keep an eye on. The looks of this 3 wood are outstanding if you ask me, I love the gray finish and the high gloss black sole really grabs attention pulling an all around great look off. I'll be testing this outside on the range and in rounds this weekend, I can't wait to come back and update this thread often going forward!

Here's a quick pic from address....such a great looking 3 wood!

20130312_115439_zps85f8dbed.jpg

I like it Jake!

Just think, you are DAYS away from having it on course too!

Little skimmy skim here... Has anyone hit the xhot fairway Nd rbz s2 head to head?

Little skimmy skim here... Has anyone hit the xhot fairway Nd rbz s2 head to head?

Yep, and honestly, its not even close for me. But a lot of that is likely due to the shafts.

FOR ME this year its XHP and then the rest in distance...and I have the Classic and Stage 2. Heck, the Classic was longer than the Stage 2 for me personally.

After today's round reaffirming things for me, I really don't think I'm going to hit driver in Dallas this Saturday.

I tried out the X-Hot and Ping G20 in a 7 wood today. The X-Hot set-up well and very forgiving. The ball came off the club hot. Very nice feel throughout my swing. However the Ping G20 felt the same & I really didn't gain any distance with the XHot. As much as I liked this club - I think the Ping will be the club I purchase - strictly due to price. Ping @ $150 vs. Callaway @ $229. Going back this weekend for one last try.

Back