center vs heel shafted putters

Franklin51

On the Verge
Reaction score
Handicap
Never owned a center shafted putter but find myself messing with them each time I am in the store. For those who went to a center shaft what benefits did you see?

I just like how it lines up and it suits my eye. Some say it suits a SBST stroke but I putt on a natural arc.

Last edited:
Never owned a center shafted putter but find myself messing with them each time I am in the store. For those who went to a center shaft what benefits did you see?
Does every benefit count as an anser!!!

I've used heel shafted putters in the past, but the CS always seem to get the job done better, maybe it's my stroke or how I align but it just works. And you combine that with SeeMore's RST and the CS SeeMore is a putting machine!!!

Does every benefit count as an anser!!!

I've used heel shafted putters in the past, but the CS always seem to get the job done better, maybe it's my stroke or how I align but it just works. And you combine that with SeeMore's RST and the CS SeeMore is a putting machine!!!

See the FGP was the first one I ever messed with and I liked it. SO much I am really hunting a reason to ditch the 2ball.

Personally I think CS putters look hideous, I dunno why. I've never really messed around with one but I should

I have an arcing stroke, and heel shafted putters with some toe hang seem to work best for me - I tend to pull the ball with a face balanced putter (which I believe CS putters are)

First thing I would do, is have a putter fitting somewhere to know for sure what type of stroke you naturally have. Every putter is either face balanced for a straight stroke, mid hang for a slight arc, or toe down for a strong arc. There is a pretty big difference between a heel shafted putter and a center shafted putter. Each is made for a different stroke. We all want the putter that fits our eye, but we also need one that fits our stroke.

I was a die hard heal shafted, offset guy before shifting to the center shafted. I was looking for better distance control on lag putts and started out trying a full mallet that worked well, but I suddenly struggled with shorter putts. Once I went to the center shafted simi SeeMore I found the perfect balance of both. Distance control, alignment and a good solid feel to the stroke that gets the ball on top quickly and holds its line well.

First thing I would do, is have a putter fitting somewhere to know for sure what type of stroke you naturally have. Every putter is either face balanced for a straight stroke, mid hang for a slight arc, or toe down for a strong arc. There is a pretty big difference between a heel shafted putter and a center shafted putter. Each is made for a different stroke. We all want the putter that fits our eye, but we also need one that fits our stroke.

I will before I buy a putter

CS putters look weird to me too. I've picked them up and hit some on practice greens in stores and they feel good. I believe I'm a straight stroke putter, but haven't ever been fitted. Maybe this warrants more investigation.

I have always had better success with center shafted putters, which is probably why I have gravitated toward a lot of the SeeMore offerings.

I saw an interesting display at an Edwin Watts this weekend. It was an Odyssey display, and it had you line up to a spot on the ground as if you were addressing a putt. The spot was on a mirror, and depending on where your eyes were lined up, it suggested one of four configurations for you, from face balanced through the most toe hang.

I just like how it lines up and it suits my eye. Some say it suits a SBST stroke but I put on a natural arc.

Pretty much the same for me. I put with a slight arc as well. Have to give credit to Seemore for showing me the light on center shafted putters.

I have an arcing stroke, and heel shafted putters with some toe hang seem to work best for me - I tend to pull the ball with a face balanced putter (which I believe CS putters are)

Not necessarily. While I think this may be the case for some mallets, both my Si3 and my Betti (current gamer) have toe hang.

To the OP; If a fitting isn't in the cards for you, just get out and roll everything you can and pick the one that works best for you.

Not necessarily. While I think this may be the case for some mallets, both my Si3 and my Betti (current gamer) have toe hang.

Ah ok; thanks, I wasn't sure. All I know is I'm about to pull the trigger on a Metal X #9 (significant toe hang) that I've been trying compared to my current face balanced stick, and I buried two consecutive 40+ ft putts with it yesterday. Way more consistent for me - unfortunately I knew nothing about toe hang/face balancing when I bought this one 4 or 5 years back.

Ah ok; thanks, I wasn't sure. All I know is I'm about to pull the trigger on a Metal X #9 (significant toe hang) that I've been trying compared to my current face balanced stick, and I buried two consecutive 40+ ft putts with it yesterday. Way more consistent for me - unfortunately I knew nothing about toe hang/face balancing when I bought this one 4 or 5 years back.

I feel ya. Been there, done that. Face balanced putters haven't worked well for me in the past. The MX line is really nice. I'm obviously a fan of my current putter, but if I were to go back to the MX line, I'd almost certainly get a CS #6, based on looks alone. I'd have to roll it first of course.

Im a pretty big CS putter fan. I feel that the center shaft takes much of the face rotation out of the stroke, so its easier to start the ball on the correct line. I also feel that because the shaft attaches closer to the center of the clubhead that its easier for me to feel where the sweet spot is and more center contact more consistently.

I'm a SeeMore center shafter myself right now but looking to maybe go back to the heel later this year.

My alignment has improved tremendously since switching from a 2ball putter to the cs Seemore. Biggest improvement has been on short putts.

Switched to a cs ping putter about 4 years ago. My putting got better from the get go. Alignment was easier so I was able to concentrate on making a better stroke and putts started falling. I feel there is more to putting than just where the shaft is on the putter head, I think the grip is overlooked here. I went to a winn oversize grip and my putting got even better than before. I have since wore that grip out and went with a ping oversize putter grip and love it. Its not as big around as the winn but just as deep, does that make sense? It makes me release my hands through the putt better and helps with follow through. I was at a golf shop looking at putters a while back and an older gentleman was looking at some sort of a cs putter. He looked at me and stated that cs putters are the way to go, I asked why and he told me that the shaft is at the center axis on the putter head, and the sweet spot which is bigger is easier to hit. He said you will have less push and pulls with a center shafted putter. I already had a cs putter but it made sense to me, whether that is fact or not, who the heck knows. I just know that I cs putter has made me a better putter.

I'll put my 2 cents in, I really believe your putter is all about comfort, What is the best for your eye. My girlfriend just went to a CS Ping putter and her putting improved immensely, So I thought let me give it a try, I couldn't put with it if my life depended upon it!!! I couldn't align it properly, my distance control was terrible. So I honestly believe you need to try all different types until you find one that is comfortable and fits your eye!!!! there are so many different styles(heads, shafts and grips) start with what you see and fine tune from there!!!

I used a center shaft putter (SeeMore FGP) for 12 years before going to a heel shafted one (Odyssey #7) last summer. I still like the center shafts but I put pretty good with the new putter.

As close as you are why not do it at the SeeMore headquarters in Franklin, Tennessee?

Exactly my thoughts. A full on fitting, I'm sure John (Higgins) would take care of you and you'd be quite pleased. Plus, those guys flat out have some of the best CS in the business, period.

I plan in it in the near future

For myself with a heel shafted putter I find the face is open at impact for me. With a centre shafted putter it naturaly comes back to square and I get the ball on line.

Back