Short Game Shape Up - JB Goes To Work

Being out on the Tour Van for the last 30 days has brought back a certain love for the game of golf that I was missing a little bit. I have some injury things to get through first, but then I am going right back to the Short Game Shape Up and this thread.

Glad to her it bro....I know working on the short game really help me alot last year...something that I need to get back to this year.

Nothing like finding the love again, glad to hear it

Being out on the Tour Van for the last 30 days has brought back a certain love for the game of golf that I was missing a little bit. I have some injury things to get through first, but then I am going right back to the Short Game Shape Up and this thread.

Glad to hear it JB. The round of golf in STL was by far one of my favorites....

Just tap it in, just tap it in.

That's really good to hear man, I know how bad those injuries were weighing on you, looking forward to seeing you back at it 100%

Excellent read here, for the newbie I'm glad you bumped this. I fear I could read for months and months and still miss good threads.

This is good stuff as it is what I am working on now.

JB, will you be starting this anew next season?

I really enjoyed following your routine and trying some of the drills myself this past year.

JB, will you be starting this anew next season?

I really enjoyed following your routine and trying some of the drills myself this past year.

Not sure as of yet. So much traveling at the beginning of the year and some changes.

This is my most favorite thing to practice, love wedge shots. Good luck.

I am going to be reading this thread heavily. My short game is what I am devoting a lot of the winter months to and this thread seems awesome. We have a good range/short game area by the house so I might go try some of this stuff out this week

Great thread. Hopefully following it will help me focus more on my short game. Days where my short game is good usually results in lower scores for me. The drills mentioned are great. Thanks for the post!

I consider myself a good wedge player. From the distances you say we are similar. My short game is the only reason my handicap is as low as it is. I like the 3 foot,6 foot , 9 foot drill.

Justa bump. With the golf season coming soon to many of the people that suffer from the winter season. There are some great tips in here to get your short game dialed in...

So i've decided to completely dedicate almost all of changes this year to my short game. i want to keep my full swing where its at maybe some slight tweaks in my back swing but i honestly mainly focus on my short game cause i think thats where i can still shave some strokes off my game. so i'm gonna work on a few things. but work on 120 and in. since thats where i am a lot of times and i don't feel like i am giving myself the birdie opportunities that i should have when i'm inside of there as much as i am. and i've also decided i'm working from the green back. so i'm working on my putting much more i plan on practice putting every other day at least. My chipping i worked on a lot last year and i plan to continue working on that and improving but that part of my game is pretty good. but the thing that i want to really work on is a system on pitch shots. from 10 yards and further. i am reading Dave pelz short game bible and i changed the way i am pitching i am only hinging in the back swing to a point and following through to a point. i want to use my 60* 56* 50* PW and 9iron which is 2 more wedges than i would normally use for pitch and chips. i'm pretty excited about the idea of getting better distance control and i started trying this more in Texas this past week and i was getting very good distance control on shots i was just pulling the shots left which was a club head issue on my back swing that i worked out at golftec. i never gave much thought to short game till a few years ago and now i love practicing it more than anything else. Gonna reread through here and find some good drills to work on these areas of my game. i have never used such a complex (well to me and how i play the game) system for my short game. i usually use 1 or 2 wedges around the green and do shots by feel but i think its time to come up with something more predictable and repeatable. and the amount of time i practice my instructor says its time to come up with something that works better. pretty excited about the idea of chipping and hitting shots closer especially since my putting has also improved so much over the last year. If anyone has good drills or systems please post them down i really love mixing up my practice drills and games so i don't get bored. Hoping all this work pays off in the long run and especially in Myrtle in July since i think short game is gonna be a huge factor in winning the MC this year. Thanks for any help and thanks JB for starting such a great thread with good info. i've seen your short game and paid more $ than i'd like to admit hoping after the work i put in this year i can take some dollars back!

I look forward to the progress Mr. Buck. I think you are an improved short game from really tearing up some courses.

I look forward to the progress Mr. Buck. I think you are an improved short game from really tearing up some courses.

thanks dean for the amount of times i'm within 100 yards and the amount of birdies i have or even true opportunities for birdie is not where i think it should be. time to take it to the next level i had a few shots in texas that were very good with working on my distance control and the system i want to integrate into my game just need to get them closer and more accurate. i'd love some tap in birdies once or twice a round and i think i can make it happen with my distance off the tee.

Looking forward to your progress Buck. When I see you at the next Invitational, I can show you some drills that I have been working on that I really like. A few things that have really carried me as of late for practice that I am finding really fun.

Great call Buck, you get that wedge game to match the long game and you will absolutely kick ass on the golf course. I look forward to following along and chiming in as you go, I am still ironing out some swing change stuff with my irons and driver but definitely plan on dedicating a lot of time to my short game as well this year. Go get em buddy!

Looking forward to your progress Buck. When I see you at the next Invitational, I can show you some drills that I have been working on that I really like. A few things that have really carried me as of late for practice that I am finding really fun.

Id like to hear some of these as well dude. I posted in the Range thread but I have a practice schedule laid out and this is something I want to work on quite a bit as well. Bought the short game bible to read some thoughts on the short game because it really is a mystery to me. I usually just grab my 54 or 58 and pray I hit a good shot.. I know this isnt the way to handle these shots

Anyway we could get pictures of videos of those? I'd love to get some more advice to improve my short game as well!!!

Great call Buck, you get that wedge game to match the long game and you will absolutely kick ass on the golf course. I look forward to following along and chiming in as you go, I am still ironing out some swing change stuff with my irons and driver but definitely plan on dedicating a lot of time to my short game as well this year. Go get em buddy!

id like that a lot JB thanks that will work out well i should start outside lessons in the beginning of april so by may i'd love some new drills.

Thanks Jake. i see such potential in my short game but its always inconsistent really hope i can get something ironed out here with my instructor and get it consistent.

Anyway we could get pictures of videos of those? I'd love to get some more advice to improve my short game as well!!!

It would be difficult. I would say check through this thread as there are a ton of drills I posted about.
Or better yet, come on out to an Invitational.

I remember catching a glimpse of this thread back in December and thought it would be good to have a read through and then never got round to it so I am glad to see it got bumped again - this time I will make an effort to have a read through it as I am wanting to work on my short game as per my last couple of posts in the range/practice thread, so when I get a bit of time I will have a look through

No doubt I will have a few questions, but I am expecting the family on here to be able to help out with the answers

One thing I would suggest for someone working on their short game would be to look at Stan Utley's methods. He has three books on the short game " The Art of Putting", "The Art of the Short Game", and "The Art of Scoring" while all are very good I would say if you are only going to read one of them "The Art of Scoring" would be the one I would suggest. While the Dave Pelz methods are very good, I prefer Stan's methods a little more but either can be very effective. I think the main thing is to choose a method and practice it and become proficient and confident in it and you will be fine. Don't get me wrong I need a lot of work on my short game also.

Good thread. My wedge game is (and always has been) what has truly held me back.

If I could ever master 120 down to 30 yards, my life would be much different.

Posted via Tapatalk.

Back