Wedge Setup and Why?

I've changed my set up from 46 PW, 50 GW, 54 SW & 58 LW to 46 PW, 52 GW & 58 LW. I like to use various clubs around the greens and if I'm laying up, I will lay up to the correct yardage for a 52 GW shot etc. I've added a 5w to the bag and feel my longer game has benefited without a big hit on my short game.

I carry 4 wedges, including the PW @ SW that came with my Burner 2.0..

PW @ 45
GW/AW @ 50
SW @ 55
LW @ 58

Thinking of replacing my worn out 58 Vokey with a 60 soon.

well, now 2013 I will be using...
PW (45/46)
GW (50)
SW (56 or 60 depending on the course)

Going out today to complete the setup, so I'll be playing:
Rocketbladez PW @ 45*
Rocketblades AW @ 50
Cleveland 588 RTX CB 52* (bent to 53*)
Cleveland CG-12 56*

Might bend the 50 to 49, and the 56 to 57 depending on how my gaps come out...

PW 48* - 120-130 yards
SW 52* - 100-120 yards
SW 56* - 80-100 yards
SW 60* - 60-80 yards

For me this set up works. I like to set up all of my wedges on my back foot. I don't need to put them in the middle of my stance because their loft is going to get the ball in the air anyway.

I'm a huge fan of the 60* because that's what I grew up with. My home course has very quick, but very small greens that sit on about a 2-3 foot "table top". Therefore, around the greens I need that 60* to get ball up, land soft and stop.

I'll be using 46, 50, 54, 58 and 62 this year - I score better with shorter gaps at the wedge end while going 5* at the long end.

I'm a fan of the 4° gaps as well.

My old irons were, but now I'm at 5° I do believe.

I'll be using 46, 50, 54, 58 and 62 this year - I score better with shorter gaps at the wedge end while going 5* at the long end.
That's a whole lotta wedges :alien:
Curious, do you have a specific shot in mind for the 62? I don't think I'd get much use out of it aside from having to go over a nearby tree.

I am 50,54,58 and must say I like the 4 degree gaps

TapaTalk from the iPhone

No specific shots, although 90% of my wedge game is played with the highest lofted wedge in the bag. It also provides me with a full swing 75 yard option - can get better height and spin on a full swing.
That's a whole lotta wedges :alien:
Curious, do you have a specific shot in mind for the 62? I don't think I'd get much use out of it aside from having to go over a nearby tree.

52,56,60 for me. i use the 56 for mostly all my chips and short shots 100 yds and under. i use the 60 mostly out of the bunker and its money for me. the 52 is my 120 club

52,56,60 for me. i use the 56 for mostly all my chips and short shots 100 yds and under. i use the 60 mostly out of the bunker and its money for me. the 52 is my 120 club
52 for 120 ? my 52 is somewhere between 90 and 100 dam I am short :)

Anyone play with 4 wedges?

Anyone play with 4 wedges?

Not the standard 3 wedges and set matching PW. I'm talking how many of you if any of you play with 4 Vokeys, Cleveland, or Scor Wedges? My Vokeys are by far my favorite clubs to hit, I have the most confidence in them and usually always hit them well. I'm seriously considering dropping the PW from the matching set and picking up a 48* Vokey and bend it to 47* Have any of you guys done this or do this? Are there any pros vs cons of going this route do you think?

I played with a PW, a 48*, 52* and a 56* wedge last year. It was fine. I felt it hindered some creativity and growth in my game honestly. I relied too much on full swings and found my short game feel wasn't where I wanted it.

Play a PW, AW, 56*, and a 60*

Love my setuo

I have 5 SCORs in the bag. I really like the versatility and gapping I get with them. A con would be it takes away from other slots in your bag or you could lose some creativity.

I go PW/50/54/58. Gives me a ton of options in the scoring zone. Some like to simplify it but I find that the Pelz system is pretty simple as long as you practice

I think the OP is asking if you have ditched your iron set PW, and put in a PW that matches your GW, SW and LW.

And no, I haven't. Really digging my new Vokey's though, so it's a thought I would entertain, but I don't think I would honestly do it.

My PW is 45 degrees and then the 50 degree GW, both part of my iron set, and then I have a 54 degree SW followed by a 58 degree LW. This four wedge setup works great for me. This gives me around 11 yards (+or-) a yard or so between wedges.

I think the OP is asking if you have ditched your iron set PW, and put in a PW that matches your GW, SW and LW.

And no, I haven't. Really digging my new Vokey's though, so it's a thought I would entertain, but I don't think I would honestly do it.

Bingo this is what I was thinking.

I have been really focusing on my wedge setup the past few rounds, and I really have always enjoyed playing a 60*.

However, over the past few rounds, I realize my use for a 60* is rarely anything but for bunker play. An occasional flop or something like that, but more often than not, I tend to go with my 55* wedge for those.

So, here I am, thinking about changing my long standing setup from 50/55/60 to 50/54/58.

I think the 58* will be used for more shots than I do with my 60*, and that has me intrigued.

I made the same change last year War and have not looked back.

I have been really focusing on my wedge setup the past few rounds, and I really have always enjoyed playing a 60*.

However, over the past few rounds, I realize my use for a 60* is rarely anything but for bunker play. An occasional flop or something like that, but more often than not, I tend to go with my 55* wedge for those.

So, here I am, thinking about changing my long standing setup from 50/55/60 to 50/54/58.

I think the 58* will be used for more shots than I do with my 60*, and that has me intrigued.

Good thoughts War. I played a 60 for the longest time and went 50/54/58 last year. I never missed not having the 60* in the bag.

Back