Swing Shot Cyclops Pro On-Course Video Camera Preview

I wonder if it's geared more towards instructors, hence the price tag?

I don't think so. When you can't watch what was just recorded it becomes only useful for transferring to a PC for editing, uploading, etc.

I thought about that as well. I wonder if there will be a software to go along with it? Like a swing analysis software?

I could almost see this being used by students as part of some instruction, something like show the student range video then send them out with this for a week or so and have them email / bring the video in for critique...but that seems a roundabout way to do things and not super efficient.

On my own, I don't know that I could diagnose any but the most egregious swing faults with this. I've seen split screen video of myself and Tiger, and all that told me was our swings diverge about 3 inches into the backswing.

I for one cannot see using it "on course". The first time it came out, someone will say "get rid of that thing, you'll hold everyone up". However, for use on a "grass" range, it's probably a bit of overkill. For many Mat ranges it would be useless, since you can't stick that spike into the concrete that surrounds most 'urban' range locations. If it had a tripod mounting, that would increase it's versatility for those cases. Otherwise, it's easier and cheaper to have your buddy stand behind you and film your swings with your smartphone or Handicam.

I thought about that as well. I wonder if there will be a software to go along with it? Like a swing analysis software?
I don't see anything mentioned about that. There was no software included or nothing from what I can see on their website to download either.

It does connect to a PC/tablet so I'll see what that does when connected up.

I can't wait for some Jake HOTD videos. I expect some slo-mo!

i'm intrigued by the GPS does it also tell you how far you hit a shot you took video of?

Looks really interesting, like to see some videos and then try and work out what the other things are for - GPS??

I can't wait for some Jake HOTD videos. I expect some slo-mo!
You know it buddy. We'll have some fun with this thing!

i'm intrigued by the GPS does it also tell you how far you hit a shot you took video of?
I don't know, I'm not finding a ton of info on the GPS portion of it so it's a bit of a mystery at this point. I think Cookie found something on their site saying gives distance to the center of the green.

You know it buddy. We'll have some fun with this thing!

I don't know, I'm not finding a ton of info on the GPS portion of it so it's a bit of a mystery at this point. I think Cookie found something on their site saying gives distance to the center of the green.

thats pretty cool then.... i prob would still trust something else over my video camera but not a bad addition for someone thats gonna use it on every shot.

thats pretty cool then.... i prob would still trust something else over my video camera but not a bad addition for someone thats gonna use it on every shot.
I'm going to pump out more HOTD videos than Cookie with this thing! Haha.

I'm going to pump out more HOTD videos than Cookie with this thing! Haha.

Don't make me get back out there. Spring is in the air.

Maybe you can use this to record your tubing down the snowy slopes - prove that there is more than one use for this product?

Don't make me get back out there. Spring is in the air.

Maybe you can use this to record your tubing down the snowy slopes - prove that there is more than one use for this product?
Maybe I can just record me kickin your....oh wait...sorry.

In all honesty though the first thing I thought of was HOTD videos. But also with having just taken a lesson and still working that into my swing it will be very helpful on some early driving range sessions. I'm pretty excited about this thing actually.

Maybe I can just record me kickin your....oh wait...sorry.

In all honesty though the first thing I thought of was HOTD videos. But also with having just taken a lesson and still working that into my swing it will be very helpful on some early driving range sessions. I'm pretty excited about this thing actually.

I agree in that the first thing I thought about was HOTD videos. For purposes of practicing, I really wish you could immediately watch what you just recorded. Lack of that kinda loses my interest for this. I mean, we have seen people take a golf shaft with a screw on it and use their existing camera and cost basically nothing.

The GPS could be cool if there was a really good use for it...not sure what it would be right now though.

What a great idea. Cant wait to hear your thioughts jake.

How does one get the video off the device? If it's via USB-cable, as I suspect, then that's disappointing, given the price point.

The biggest hassle in taking swing video is getting it off the device and uploaded somewhere useful. Wireless capability is essential.

How does one get the video off the device? If it's via USB-cable, as I suspect, then that's disappointing, given the price point.

The biggest hassle in taking swing video is getting it off the device and uploaded somewhere useful. Wireless capability is essential.

According to their site, it is via USB cable.

What Cookie says, you attach the device up to a PC or Tablet and you can get the video. I suppose one could take their tablet to the range and probably get the video instantly, that's just an assumption on my part. I'll dig into it though for sure.

Gadgets are neat, however I fear this will slow play down way more then a buddy with a handi cam.

I'm interested in this as well. Seen it on google+ golf community. Here is what one of that communities members said about the product "Because it's a dedicated device that goes in your bag, it alleviates a lot of the inconvenience of trying to use your phone to do too many things and to setup each shot. With the SwingShot I can just pop the camera (attached to a pole) out of my bag, jam it into the ground, press one button, go through my routine and hit my shot, then put the camera back in my bag (it has an auto shutoff feature). The ease of use is the #1 selling point. Believe it or not I've brought tripods onto the course in the past and not only does it take much longer, everyone looks at you funny."
He sent me this message because I use the Camera Caddie pro mount with my smart phone, mostly at the range, and I use the skycaddie gps on my phone so shooting video and using that while playing is too much on a phone.
Real curious of the review, cause $300 bucks is $300 bucks.

Yes! i will be getting some swings on video with this bad boy for sure!

I took the Swing Shot to the range with me. I followed the directions to set it up in Range Mode, in Range Mode you can determine the timer amount to basically hit record and the camera will cycle from recording to not recording for that time increment. I didn't really mess with it, I just got it on Range Mode and tore off but it recorded a series of 15 second videos while I was out there. Some of the footage wound up being me going to get a tee or me just finishing a swing and teeing up another ball but it did get quite a few good videos. Here are some of the shots it got just to give you an example of the quality we're talking about. So I got home, plugged the device into my PC and it recognized it and I browsed out and pulled up the videos on my PC before uploading to YouTube and the quality is amazing. I can put it to full screen and hit the pause button at points in my swing to check positions and verify that I'm still hitting the spots my instructor told me about back when I got my lesson in early Feb. So far I'm pretty impressed, I do need to work with some of the settings to try to get a better timing on my swings vs. the times it's not recording but so far it's great. Here are the videos, no laughing at my swing, we're looking at video quality here, not golfers ability!

THat is very interesting Jake.

Good stuff Jake! Quality is pretty darn good.

I think a remote would be handy for the range so your not stressing the timing aspect but obvious added costs there.

About how far did the camera have to be setup from you to get the full swing in frame?

Back