Callaway RAZR Fit Xtreme Driver - THP Preview & Review Thread

I won't argue with that, it's hard to argue with what I'm already seeing though too!

I agree. I like the Xhot line as well and think they perform just as well as the RFX. But I just love the feel of this driver, I didn't think they could improve the Fit that much but they did. And did it extremely well.

I agree. I like the Xhot line as well and think they perform just as well as the RFX. But I just love the feel of this driver, I didn't think they could improve the Fit that much but they did. And did it extremely well.

i think the Xtreme is miles ahead of last years FIT... i actually didn't like last years fit that much at all. This Xtreme is so good though i'm looking forward to putting this and the X HOT head to head.

Had my first round with the RFE w/ Black Tie 7M3. One word...Wow! I hit all but 4 fairways. 1 was just off the fairway. I hit nice mid trajectory, little draws all day. And it was long, I probably hit it an average of 255 yards and one was 288 little downhill and helping wind. I'm really happy I decided to go and get fit.

A+ driver, very nicely done Callaway!

Had my first round with the RFE w/ Black Tie 7M3. One word...Wow! I hit all but 4 fairways. 1 was just off the fairway. I hit nice mid trajectory, little draws all day. And it was long, I probably hit it an average of 255 yards and one was 288 little downhill and helping wind. I'm really happy I decided to go and get fit.

A+ driver, very nicely done Callaway!

good to see everyone else is seeing what i'm seeing this thing is a fairway finder and still pretty long. i don't know if its as long as the x hot or not i really can't wait to hit them head to head soon and see which is longer.

I have been testing some combinations of different shafts in my Razr Fit from last year as I love the Razr Fit, but am not keen on the low launching RIP'd NV shaft that came stock in the Razr Fit.

I brought an Alidila NVS shaft off eBay, but almost immediatley (one range session and one round of golf) decided that the stiff shaft is too much for me as it was causing me to hit some fairly wild bannanas out to the right which is something i have been able to stamp out of my game as of late with the reg RIP'd NV SHAFT.

My swing speed hovers in and around the 95-98mph range, so i am sort of border line between regular and stiff flex shafts, but the slices are what tends to happen to my shot if the shaft is too strong for me.

Anyway, having spent some time researching shafts, I was contemplating trying to source an Aldila Trinity shaft for my Razr Fit as it's more middle of the scale according to Aldila than the RIP'd NV. Of course i've not been able to find one on ebay, so I was biding my time waiting for one to turn up.

That was until I turned up at a golf day last week to find an old mate of mine had two drivers in his bag. One was his new TaylorMade R1 which he is currently using and loves and the other was a Callaway RFE in 11.5* with the stock Aldila Trininty shaft in regular flex. I didn't need to ask why he had two drivers because he made a beeline for me before we even got out on the course and explained that he had won this Callaway RFE in a recent Pro Am competition but loves his R1 and basically just wanted to get rid of the RFE.

I showed interest and explained about my shaft swapping at the moment, and he simply just turned round and said right it's a done deal then take it for £150 and we will call it quits :)

Needless to say I almost got in the car and drove to the cash point there and then, as the RFE's retail over here for £319!

Stunning result and I am well chuffed with the new RFE. Feels slightly different to last years fit off the face, bit more feel on connection with the ball in my opinion. Quite a difference in ball flight as well with the RFE. The Aldila Trinity shaft gets the ball airborne much quicker and easier and that was the downside of the Razr Fit and the bit I struggled with.

All in all an excellent result - bit fortunate from my point of view, but more than happy to be on the side of good luck on this particular occasion!

Good hitting Mav, enjoy the new club!

If I was to .5 of an inch taken off the trinity shaft to 45 what would the swing weight of club be then.Stock I believe it's a d4.would I just need to buy the extra weight kit and put a 2 or 3 gram weight in the head instead of the 1 gram to bring swing weight back up to d4?.

Thanks

If I was to .5 of an inch taken off the trinity shaft to 45 what would the swing weight of club be then.Stock I believe it's a d4.would I just need to buy the extra weight kit and put a 2 or 3 gram weight in the head instead of the 1 gram to bring swing weight back up to d4?.

Thanks

Shortening it 1/2" will drop it from D4 to D1. 3 points for every 1/2" in length. To get it back to D4 you'd need to increase head weight by 6g. 2g head weight equals 1 SW point. You could also lighten the grip without increasing head weight, but it would take a 15g lighter grip. Every 5g of grip weight is 1 SW point.

If you ordered the club through callaway would they cut and balance the swing weight for you?.do the adjustable weights on the club head change swing weight?.
thanks

If you ordered the club through callaway would they cut and balance the swing weight for you?.do the adjustable weights on the club head change swing weight?.
thanks

I would love to say yes, but they didn't on my brothers extended irons ordered directly through them. Ping is about the best OEM at building to original SW.

Just switching positions of the same weights does not change SW. Substituting heavier/lighter weights does. They would fall under the 2g of head weight = 1 SW point formula.

Hi everyone:

I have been following this forum for a long time but never really thought of posting since I am not as knowledgeable about equipment as you all are. Anyway, I have decided that it's time to change.

To kick it off, just a bit about myself. I am a low single handicapper give or take. Unfortunately there are often periods of time where I can't play at all due to work. I have no access to a simulator or any of those kinds of stuff hence I wouldn't be able to give you guys details of my swing speed and so forth. I tend to judge things by eye and range finder. My previous driver was a Razr Hawk tour 9.5* with stock stiff with an average distance of about 270 (70% effort, flat fairway, no wind). 7 iron distance 170. I can hit it a bit further but if I try to crank one up high, my drives tended to increase dramatically in height. That's OK on a perfect day but not when there's a bit of wind. The extra 10/20 yards or so just isn't worth such a loss in control. Regarding my swing, most the power I generate tends to come form my shoulders and torso. I don't create a massive amount of lag. My downswing transition is not overly aggressive but once I am in the "slot", I try to release the body and club hard without overexerting myself.

So, onto the Razr Fit xtreme. The moment that I picked up one with the Trinity shaft , it was a no no. The Razr Hawk had served me OK, but with an overall lightweight, it sometimes caused me to swing harder that what I am maybe comfortable with. The Matrix shaft however was a different story. It felt better instantly before I had even taken a swing with it. I did have some reservations given how everyone said that it's too "boardy" or along those lines of description.Without the possibility to being able to test it myself, I mulled over it for almost a month before pulling the trigger. I have now had a full range sessions with it. What a revelation! Here's how it went.

Rightfully enough, the first half dozen shots went low and right. My timing and rhythm was all over the place given that it is so different to the Razr Hawk. Thereafter, I couldn't quite believe what was happening. I was consistently hitting soft draws one after another (~70% effort) with a medium ball flight (280 yards). When I did try to put more into it, the ball didn't ballon like it used to. It simply launched higher and "stayed there." My drives tended to have more of an "arched" flight as opposed to reaching an apex and falling rapidly down. What I find with this shaft is that although it is necessary to put in more effort in at the beginning, it definitely leads to a greater momentum being built up. This meant I felt that all I had to do was maintain the speed and release the club freely and smoothly. Previously with the Razr hawk and other drivers as well, I felt that I had to really "snap" the release quite hard, which obviously led to a much wider dispersion. I hit another 30 balls after the initial 5 without stopping and only 10 to 15% were mishits, none of them particularly bad as in drastically lower ball flight or loss of distance. If I had to estimate the dispersion, my drives were mostly slight draws to the centre of the target or just left of it. None were more than 30 yards either side.

Regarding the clubhead, there has been plenty of good write ups on that already so there is not much point in me delving into it too much. I do like the head shape quite a lot, which is similar to the Legacy Black driver (Japan version) but this driver is too horribly expensive to even consider.My honest opinion right now is that I have probably been seduced more by the shaft than the actual clubhead but I do acknowledge that Callaway have done a lot of clever things to it which contributes to the penetrating ball flight. My dilemma now is this. Should I have gone with the extra stiff Matrix 7M3? From that session, there is a part of me that is convinced that I get get my averages up to around 290 by swing just a bit more aggressively but still under control. However, I do worry that I am not always able to play or practice on a regular basis so perhaps extra stiff will be too harsh even though I had absolutely no problems with the stiff (~80 drives total). It's a dilemma that's bugging me a bit but maybe my ego is starting to get in the way. Averaging 280 will be more than enough to maintain my handicap but I am risking greater dispersion if I go at hit harder with the stiff shaft, right?

Anyway, that's it for now. I'll post again if something pops into my head.

Hi everyone:

I have been following this forum for a long time but never really thought of posting since I am not as knowledgeable about equipment as you all are. Anyway, I have decided that it's time to change.

To kick it off, just a bit about myself. I am a low single handicapper give or take. Unfortunately there are often periods of time where I can't play at all due to work. I have no access to a simulator or any of those kinds of stuff hence I wouldn't be able to give you guys details of my swing speed and so forth. I tend to judge things by eye and range finder. My previous driver was a Razr Hawk tour 9.5* with stock stiff with an average distance of about 270 (70% effort, flat fairway, no wind). 7 iron distance 170. I can hit it a bit further but if I try to crank one up high, my drives tended to increase dramatically in height. That's OK on a perfect day but not when there's a bit of wind. The extra 10/20 yards or so just isn't worth such a loss in control. Regarding my swing, most the power I generate tends to come form my shoulders and torso. I don't create a massive amount of lag. My downswing transition is not overly aggressive but once I am in the "slot", I try to release the body and club hard without overexerting myself.

So, onto the Razr Fit xtreme. The moment that I picked up one with the Trinity shaft , it was a no no. The Razr Hawk had served me OK, but with an overall lightweight, it sometimes caused me to swing harder that what I am maybe comfortable with. The Matrix shaft however was a different story. It felt better instantly before I had even taken a swing with it. I did have some reservations given how everyone said that it's too "boardy" or along those lines of description.Without the possibility to being able to test it myself, I mulled over it for almost a month before pulling the trigger. I have now had a full range sessions with it. What a revelation! Here's how it went.

Rightfully enough, the first half dozen shots went low and right. My timing and rhythm was all over the place given that it is so different to the Razr Hawk. Thereafter, I couldn't quite believe what was happening. I was consistently hitting soft draws one after another (~70% effort) with a medium ball flight (280 yards). When I did try to put more into it, the ball didn't ballon like it used to. It simply launched higher and "stayed there." My drives tended to have more of an "arched" flight as opposed to reaching an apex and falling rapidly down. What I find with this shaft is that although it is necessary to put in more effort in at the beginning, it definitely leads to a greater momentum being built up. This meant I felt that all I had to do was maintain the speed and release the club freely and smoothly. Previously with the Razr hawk and other drivers as well, I felt that I had to really "snap" the release quite hard, which obviously led to a much wider dispersion. I hit another 30 balls after the initial 5 without stopping and only 10 to 15% were mishits, none of them particularly bad as in drastically lower ball flight or loss of distance. If I had to estimate the dispersion, my drives were mostly slight draws to the centre of the target or just left of it. None were more than 30 yards either side.

Regarding the clubhead, there has been plenty of good write ups on that already so there is not much point in me delving into it too much. I do like the head shape quite a lot, which is similar to the Legacy Black driver (Japan version) but this driver is too horribly expensive to even consider.My honest opinion right now is that I have probably been seduced more by the shaft than the actual clubhead but I do acknowledge that Callaway have done a lot of clever things to it which contributes to the penetrating ball flight. My dilemma now is this. Should I have gone with the extra stiff Matrix 7M3? From that session, there is a part of me that is convinced that I get get my averages up to around 290 by swing just a bit more aggressively but still under control. However, I do worry that I am not always able to play or practice on a regular basis so perhaps extra stiff will be too harsh even though I had absolutely no problems with the stiff (~80 drives total). It's a dilemma that's bugging me a bit but maybe my ego is starting to get in the way. Averaging 280 will be more than enough to maintain my handicap but I am risking greater dispersion if I go at hit harder with the stiff shaft, right?

Anyway, that's it for now. I'll post again if something pops into my head.

Great thoughts and welcome to THP... sounds like the low launching Matrix Black tie is helping you get after the ball a little bit more... i know i saw some of the lowest ball flights i've ever had with this shaft almost to low i'm interested in trying some different heads with the 8m3 stiff its a really great shaft and i was hitting some bombs with it in Texas at the range on the launch monitor. i know i could game a X flex but i'd rather go heavier and not as stiff than lighter and an X flex.... as for your question i'd prob stick with the stiff instead of going with X flex. but this driver sure is a fairway finder for me so its a tough call... you could always try one and swap shafts down the road if you don't like the results as well. great thing about adjustable drivers.

i think the Xtreme is miles ahead of last years FIT... i actually didn't like last years fit that much at all. This Xtreme is so good though i'm looking forward to putting this and the X HOT head to head.

Buck, any chance you can elaborate on this? I'm not planning to upgrade to RFE, but I may try putting in a 7M3 shaft. Wondering if you're really diappointed in the tip or if it's more a knock on the stock shaft offerings.

Buck, any chance you can elaborate on this? I'm not planning to upgrade to RFE, but I may try putting in a 7M3 shaft. Wondering if you're really diappointed in the tip or if it's more a knock on the stock shaft offerings.

i hit last years fit for a few rounds my buddy had one. and i just wasn't impressed with it. it didn't out perform my Super Tri or come close to it. that being said i do think the stock shaft had a lot to do with it. but the face on the Xtreme is a lot hotter and the shaft options are a lot better fit for me especially the black tie. and i had a chance to hit the FIT in myrtle with a B Asha in it and i was hitting it much better. so it prob was the shaft more than anything. but again i think the Xtreme head is also an upgrade over last years.

if you're planning on throwing a 7M3 in it it will prob lower your ball flight depending on whats in your FIT currently.

I took a 1/2" off of mine and I liked to SW change.

Just posted on Callaway Facebook page. Interesting combos in there............

166747_10152684133005640_835471014_n.jpg

That's an awesome pic,some of those colors come off quite a bit different than they appear in the app. Changes some of my ponders just a bit.

I wonder if any of the green/ yellow ones are for tour players at the masters.

All these colors are cool but i have to say i'm a stickler for the original colors. Dunno why but the stock colors just do it for me

All these colors are cool but i have to say i'm a stickler for the original colors. Dunno why but the stock colors just do it for me

It's ok David, we all can't like the flash.

It's ok David, we all can't like the flash.

I will say the blue crown with white sole is kinda cool though but with the Aldila NV65 shaft is green they would clash. Can't have that :D. A white shaft with the Golf pride grip would look awesome

whiteoutblu.jpg

Those are amazing, the White, Red and Black look sweet!

For me I think I still like the black on black. To get a little crazy I would probably go blue on top and black on bottom. Would like white on bottom but scared it would get nicked and dirty pretty quickly.

For me I think I still like the black on black. To get a little crazy I would probably go blue on top and black on bottom. Would like white on bottom but scared it would get nicked and dirty pretty quickly.

I've had the same though, love the look of white on bottom, but I think it would look worn out fast.

Just accidentally won a 11.5 head in an auction. Never hit a 11.5 before. Normally 10.5 is what I use but few have a good success going with a higher loft. I will be pairing it with a Kusala Black.

Season hasnt even started and I'm already on my 2nd driver.

***Tappin in cuz I #SeeMore***

Just accidentally won a 11.5 head in an auction. Never hit a 11.5 before. Normally 10.5 is what I use but few have a good success going with a higher loft. I will be pairing it with a Kusala Black.

Season hasnt even started and I'm already on my 2nd driver.

***Tappin in cuz I #SeeMore***

Well if it works terribly for you (which it won't, you'll love it) drop me a line if it needs a new home.

Back