Cleveland Classic XL & XL Custom Driver Preview Thread

Maybe it was the camera angle but it looked like the ball was right at the hozzle at setup. Maybe this goes to your statement about moving closer to the ball, and explains the heel strikes.

Congrats on the club. Even though I went in another direction, I really liked Cleveland's offerings.

That's the way it looked to me as well, although it could have been the camera angle playing tricks on our eyes.

Based on the sound clips, I think the Custom sounded the best, at least to my ears. I was set on picking up the non-adjustable XL, but may have to go with the Custom after seeing this video...

I really like the color scheme of the face on the Classic XL compared to last years Classic. Very good looking club.

I really like the color scheme of the face on the Classic XL compared to last years Classic. Very good looking club.

I think it will really help sales. There were some who loved the old school look, but I heard from a few people they just had trouble moving them in the stores

Hit the xl today at dicks, only had one in stock, had a 4r shaft in it. First off the club just looks beastly, very sleek looking stick. Not sure on distances but I felt like I was pounding it very well. Has a very distinct heavy kinda feel at impact that let's u know u hit it flush. Can't wait to get it on the range in 3 weeks.

You played last years Classic, last year didn't you? How did it feel in comparison to you?

I think it will really help sales. There were some who loved the old school look, but I heard from a few people they just had trouble moving them in the stores

You played last years Classic, last year didn't you? How did it feel in comparison to you?

To me the face this year has a little more pop to it, was hitting into the net so no numbers but that's what I took away from it when I was done.

To me the face this year has a little more pop to it, was hitting into the net so no numbers but that's what I took away from it when I was done.

I like the sound of that.

Early range results are very good. Never hit so many consecutive tight draws! Starting my first round with it right now.

azyrudun.jpg

308 par 4 and I am here:

gadanemu.jpg

BOOM!!

Dang Cookie. Thats impressive. Even if you dont get an Xbomb patch.

Looks like a good start to the relationship there Cookie.

Holy hell Cookie!!!!

What kind of flight you are seeing?

mcook....that is freaking monstrous! Great shot!

Boom is an understatement, great shot cookie.

tapping and talking from Tapatalk

Thanks guys!

War: mostly a mid flight with a few in the mid-high range. Only saw a few slight draws on the course but it was very windy out there today (gusting to 30).

I am seeing less lateral movement in my shots compared to the R1. I did not have a single push right today which was awesome, could fire up the right side at will.

Monday will be a head to head with the R1 for distance/dispersion if my plans go through.

I missed all over the face today and saw ample forgiveness. afwcardinal and I play weekly and he definitely noticed the lack of lateral movement.

Playing 18 tomorrow morning in a cash game at my home course and will hit this every chance I get. I'm excited as this had a tall task compared to the R1.....and it's showing up ready to go early on.

Cookie this driver was great today. Im still sorry that we used you so much in the drives today next time we will play more from the trees! This gave a very reliable baby draw all day that was never questioned. You will be quite lethal with this toy!

Thanks guys!

War: mostly a mid flight with a few in the mid-high range. Only saw a few slight draws on the course but it was very windy out there today (gusting to 30).

I am seeing less lateral movement in my shots compared to the R1. I did not have a single push right today which was awesome, could fire up the right side at will.

Monday will be a head to head with the R1 for distance/dispersion if my plans go through.

I missed all over the face today and saw ample forgiveness. afwcardinal and I play weekly and he definitely noticed the lack of lateral movement.

Playing 18 tomorrow morning in a cash game at my home course and will hit this every chance I get. I'm excited as this had a tall task compared to the R1.....and it's showing up ready to go early on.

Awesome man!

I got out to the range today with this stick.

I loved hitting it. I will put more thoughts up tomorrow or Tuesday.

ra6ypyju.jpg

u2any6ur.jpg

Dhil that looks like some sold consistent contact

Great thoughts ddxu!
I think you made the right choice going with the 7s over the 6. You will get used to the heavier weight and your SS might creep back up to where you are used to it. If you can allow yourself to really get after it you may see really nice results with the stout stick. What is the difference in distance between center face and just off of center?

I've only hit it on the range (two separate times now), so its hard to truly gauge. From the landing spots out on the range, it looks pretty similar forgiveness wise as my 910. Still seeing more heel misses than toe misses.

Dan - has the thought crossed your mind to switch from the 7g weight to the 3g weight just to see if it will help pick up the SS a hair without sacrificing the stability you need to avoid the bad miss?
We need to find out how easy it will be to get hands on the extra weights. The fitting pamphlet that comes with the driver says to reach out to your authorized Cleveland dealer to get them. They look just like the Z-Star weights that I used previously and the wrench is definitely the same.

I did think of that, but wonder how it will affect the spin rate. I thought I saw the weights were going to be available on shop.clevelandgolf.com, but I havent seen them there yet. I'm going to reach out to them and see if I can buy them directly or if I should just go through a local dealer.

DDXU, To help you get used to the heavier weight shaft, I'd recommend a donut weight. Slip that on your driver and swing it a few times first at half speed then some at full speed before you hit your driver or when you are warming up. Your driver will feel really light after that. It really helps me loosen up.

This is a good idea, I need to look into getting one.

Dan,
Great idea with the vid's. Give your wife props for helping out with the filming.
I like the sound

Yep, having someone to film really makes it easy.

Maybe it was the camera angle but it looked like the ball was right at the hozzle at setup. Maybe this goes to your statement about moving closer to the ball, and explains the heel strikes.

Congrats on the club. Even though I went in another direction, I really liked Cleveland's offerings.

I am sure I was setup on the heel, I was trying a few different things to try to get comfortable

Hit the custom this weekend at GS and I was impressed with the JDL 6S. Seemed like the results were very similar to my OG Classic. I want to demo one of these.

Finally found the driver I will stick with this year , Cleveland Classix XL Custom with the Matrix black tie. Forgiveness and distance and it's pretty sexy too look at as well. Went to the demo day really wanting to buy the R1 , but after hitting the R1 with a few different shafts , the x hot pro , the razr extreme , gaming the 913 titelist and the Covert tour the Cleveland out performed them for me and my swing. Biggest thing for me is my miss ( always a push fade that keeps fading and tumbling right ) was very very minimal with the custom. Yes it's always the clubs fault , never a swing flaw...:arrogant:

Still looking forward to gaming this driver. Seems like everybody is really enjoying it right now. Plus, they are getting great results! It doesn't get better then that.

One of my Buddies just picked up a Classic XL w/ 7M3 in X It is an absolute beast he is putting 10 yards further than his R11 with 7M3

I hit my CXLC again yesterday on the range and had some better results than my maiden voyage. I found the relative center of the face much more and saw some more distance than previous. The misses were still on the heel side, but those produced a nice fade ball flight with what looked to be about 70% of the distance of a center strike. Again, this was all on the range, so distances are relative.

The heavier weight didnt feel 'as' heavy as the first time, but I could notice the difference. I am going to work on warming up with heavier clubs and see if that helps bring my SS back up a few MPH. Still no really radical misses either left or right.

I like the black face on the CXLC and it seems to be more durable than the face/crown of my 910. There are not ANY paint marks on the CXLC yet, when I know I had a few after my first few times hitting my 910. I hope the crown paint it more durable too. I hate how my 910 gets little paint chip marks whenever 'a buddy' hits it a bit high on the face. Like My 910 and previous SuperTri, I like how the dark face on the CXLC shows where the ball was struck and wipes right off.

I dont really care for the glossy paint on the sole of the CXLC though. It looks great brand new, but it shows tee marks pretty easily and it looks like the paint in my big 1 might be fading already. Not a big deal for me, but something I noticed. One other small thing I did notice, is how much more quickly I go through tees than I do with my 910. I use basic natural wooden tees my old course would provide and the Champ FlyTee & I swear I went through about 1 tee per shot yesterday. I dont care obviously, but its something I noticed.

DSC00209_zps927c6e39.jpg

As I finished my time on the range, I saved my last ball and snuck over to #10 tee that was open and pretty close by. Stepped right up, pegged it, and let it fly. Dead nuts in the center of the face and cut the corner of the dogleg just as I imagined. I couldnt go and measure it, as I was on foot and a group was rolling up to the tee. It felt nice to find the center of the face on a real live golf shot, that is for sure.

DSC00211_zpsc6a38299.jpg

Last edited:
Back