How important are par 3's to you? Any more or less than the rest?

rollin

"Just playin golf pally"
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I touched on this in another thread that was about something else and i thought enough of it to bring it up on its own.

I fond that if I have a decent round and/or possibly come close to a personal best then it is vital that I have good results on par3's. To me they are just much too important to have if I am to obtain a good end result with the round's final score. I have my inconsistancies with my "feast or famine" type of play and that includes of course blow-up holes. And I've learned to deal with it here and there fairly OK on the p4's and p5's.

But not on the par3's. I know that the math is what it is and in the end a specific number of strokes is a sum that doesnt know or care what, how, or which way it got there. But when I screw up p3's its just a killer and one part that does get me aggrivated. Just way too important IMO towards a round. The average course has four p3's, some have five and the roll they play towards the round is a huge one IMO.

Thats not to say the other holes are not important. But nothing worse than having my worst plays of the round (or my blow-ups) just so happen to fall upon par 3's. On the other hand nothing better when you par or birdie or at least keep them respectable with combo of pars and bog's.

They just seem to make or break a round IMO more than the rest. Someone many years ago who is pretty darn good at this game pointed this out to me and I believed it then and still do. Said that leaving strokes on par 3's is just somehting you dont and can not get back or make up. At the same time, scoring low on them can make up for alot from elsewhere. In a nut shell, They are vital to a good round of golf no matter what level you play at.

I am curious what everone thinks about this. Do you agree with this? Do you believe the losses or gains from par 3's are more devistating and rewarding towards the round vs other holes? Do you feel they are indeed that vital to a good round? Perhaps you never thought it this way and dont put any thought to it at all. IDK, what would you say.

Par 3s are just as important to me as any other hole.

But in match play, they are a game leveler

In golf every hole is just as important as the last. That's my outlook on it anyways.

Depends on the course. At my home course, they aren't as important since there's only a hazard on one of them, so it's really easy to eliminate penalty strokes on them. I have to really focus on avoiding penalties on the other holes.

In golf every hole is just as important as the last. That's my outlook on it anyways.

This. But I guess I could say that to me personally par 5s are the most important to me. That's is where I can get my birdies

just to add who gave me this advice years ago was my first instructor I ever took lessons from. Just happen to get out as single one day and happened to be with his group. Thats when he told me thats how he viewed par 3's. Not that he said we should not place importance on all the holes but just the vital roll the par3's play in a round in his view which ive had since.

At my home course the par 3's are vital because there is so much room for error on them. 3/4 have major water hazards that magnetically attract balls and the other is quite long.
I find however, that par 5's are more of an indication of how my round will turn out. If I'm playing the white tees I should be able to birdie or at worst par all of them so if I end up with 6's, 7's, or 8's those strokes lost just eat at me.

Generally very important. They are the only chance to hit a GIR from a teed ball, perfect lie guaranteed.

A major screw up on a par three is hard to make up.

when looking to improve, you have to start somewhere...
work hard on making par on the par 5's and the par 3's.
let everything else fall where it may, but you really make up strokes on those when you're not taking doubles on them, which is easily done.

on the par 5's, work on making 3 smart golf shots. the rest should follow.
on the par 3's, your short game must be clutch to put it close for an up and down when you can't hit the dance floor.

I guess I'm just not sure how any type of hole is more important than another. They all count towards your overall score. But that's just my thoughts anyways.

I like par 3's. Need just one good shot for a legit chance at birdie rather than 2 or 3. :D

In the end though, they are just as important as all the rest.

Very important to me, but no more than any other hole. Par is just a number, but I play every hole like a par 3 after the tee/approach shots are done.

On my home course, which has six par 3's (1/3 of the holes), they are pretty important.

Generally very important. They are the only chance to hit a GIR from a teed ball, perfect lie guaranteed.

A major screw up on a par three is hard to make up.

Exactly this. You have a perfect lie every single time. It's the only time you get to put a ball where you want, how you want, and hit the green with that shot. It's also the only hole you get one chance to hit the green.

I don't give par 3s any more weight than anything else. If anything, I generally expect to bogey them, because I probably only hit the green 25% of the time. Pars are a bonus, otherwise, I figure I can get on with my second from wherever I end up and 2 putt. If they're something that you put a lot of emphasis on, though, and get upset if you don't score on them, I could see how they would be crucial to the success of your round.

I find all holes important, however, I find my par 5's the most important, due to my length off the tee, these give me the best opportunity to make up strokes, by being on in 2 and a 2 putt, I make up a stroke with relative ease.

Dan

All holes are of the same importance. Having said that par 3's are my favorite holes, so much so I try to treat every hole as a par 3 with other shots just to set it up.

Par 3's are aim at the middle of the green and get your par holes. They're the hardest holes on the course.

Exactly this. You have a perfect lie every single time. It's the only time you get to put a ball where you want, how you want, and hit the green with that shot. It's also the only hole you get one chance to hit the green.
Sometimes I have two or three chances!

I look at them as important for a reason other than scoring. Since I'm not a long hitter, I perceive Par 3's to be the easiest holes on the course. I know it isn't necessarily true, but on every one of them I have a chance to make a GIR with only one shot, and am able to pick my spot on the box and tee it up. What other approach shot gives you that option?

So if I screw up on Par 3's, it gets to me mentally. If I can't do good on the short holes, what chance do I have on the long ones? So yes, they are important to me, but mostly as a boost to my self-confidence.

I tend to give them too much importance. I need to just treat the tee shot like any other approach shot and I will be just fine.

Yeah, I agree Par 3's a vital to a good score. Every good score I've ever had has either been very consistent, all par's or a couple of birdies, a par or two & no worse than a bogey. There is only one on my home course that gives me fits, #17. Its the 2nd longest at 170 yards and usually into the wind or with a crosswind. It has wraps around a ravine to the left which is not my usual iron shape and needs a carry over a massive bunker that sits 8-10 feet below the putting surface. Depending on the wind & pin placement, I will hit a 6, 7, or 8 iron. The 8i is a bit of a layup but if I am in a close match and need to avoid a blowup it is the safe play.

The par 3's at my local course are brutal sloped tiered par eaters so I usually lay up, chip on and pray for a nice putt...par 4's is usually where I score.

Par 3's are important to me as these are my worst holes on the course! I struggle to find the green and then get down on myself cause I can hunt pins with the same club from the fairway or rough. Par3's eat me up at least on 4&5's I get an extra shot to try and redeem myself.

Back