Do you play a lot of tough courses?

My regular course is 73.6/136

I play a lot of courses but here are the four I play more than the others. Course A is Riverfront Golf Club, B is Kiln Creek Golf Club, C is Cahoon Plantation and D is The Golf Club at Viniterra. Viniterra could host the PGA it is crazy long and hard. We play either the Blue tees in the summer or White tees all the time. The championship tees here are 7312, 75.3, 142 and the Professional tees! are 7725, 77.2, 142!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A: Blue tees 6735, 72.5, 129. White tees 6357, 70.3, 126. We play both tees just depends on the weather

B: Black tees, 6972, 74.1, 130. Blue tees 6394, 71, 126. We normally play Blue but have swung it from the tips.
C: Blue tees 6456, 71.4, 130. Only tees we play

D: Blue tees 6820, 73.1 137. White tees 6124, 70.2, 130

I rarely play courses rated below 120... Most times ranging from high 120s to low 140s

Slope.jpg

My lowest score was a 73 at the course 71.8/131.
My highest score was a 91 at the course rated 71.9/131.

The course KellyBo and I play (Monroe Golf & CC) is a short course. With that said it comes with teeth. Big sharp teeth around and on the greens that can bite ya arse, real hard :beat-up:. I invite anyone of what ever skill level you are, to come visit us and test your skill on this short little sucker. :alien:

Blue 70.4/125 @ 6400 yds
White 68.6/121 @ 6027
Gold 64.6/112 @ 5484
Red 67.9/116 @ 4955

Trust me, it plays longer than what the yardage shows on the score card :D. I play the white tees and it gives me all I can handle and then some :bulgy-eyes:

Last edited:
My home is a 69.3/132...Not easy, but not killer either...It's crazy, there's some courses out there that seem easier, but have a higher slope rating and higher score.

Dan

The course KellyBo and I play (Monroe Golf & CC) is a short course. With that said it comes with teeth. Big sharp teeth around and on the greens that can bite ya arse, real hard :beat-up:. I invite anyone of what ever skill level you are, to come visit us and test your skill on this short little sucker. :alien:

Blue 70.4/125 @ 6400 yds
White 68.6/121 @ 6027
Gold 64.6/112 @ 5484
Red 67.9/114 @ 4955

Trust me, it plays a longer than what the yardage shows on the score card :D. I play the white tees and it gives me all I can handle and then some :bulgy-eyes:

I really think I am going to try the golf tees real soon, those white tees are much tougher than any 121 slope rating I have ever seen.

So I just started golfing last year and I'm by no means a braniac, so someone wanna give me a quick run down on how they figure this stuff out/average ratings/etc?

I really think I am going to try the golf tees real soon, those white tees are much tougher than any 121 slope rating I have ever seen.

I think people see our slope rating buddy and think this is push over course

Spoiler
until they walk off #18 :D

Last edited:
my top three i play regularly is
74/137 shot an 84 that's the tips on my home course
72.8/129 usually shoot low 80's these are the tees i play from regularly
71.2/126 i'll play these when i want to work on my short irons.

The two I play most have a slope of 131 and 135 from the tees I play.

I like the play some very tough courses sometimes because I really think it tests my patience and can help me become a better golfer. My uncle is a member at a course in Indy called Wolf Run and I think it is rated as one of the toughest rated courses in the US. I have been bugging him for a while to go there so sometime this year once we actually get some warm weather I'm going to give it a shot!

So I just started golfing last year and I'm by no means a braniac, so someone wanna give me a quick run down on how they figure this stuff out/average ratings/etc?

There are guys (part of the NCGA around here I believe) that visit the courses every few years and evaluate all sorts of factors when determining the rating and slope. Length, amount of trouble, wind, elevation, etc. I've watched them do a few holes out here before. It's a pretty cool process. I'm sure that they have lots of guidelines set by the USGA that they have to follow.

The rating is basically an approximation of what a 0 handicap would shoot. So a par 72 course rated 74 is perceived to be much harder compared to a par 72 rated at 69.

Slope is a determination of difficultly based on bogey golfers. I think that the median is 113. Higher then that, the bogey golfer would find it more difficult to play bogey golf. Lower = easier. Slope ratings go from 55 -> 155. One of the courses I play up here every few months is rated at 150 from the tips. One of the highest in the country. It's a really stupid golf course. :)

The majority of the golf courses I play fall in between 71-72 from the tees at around 6500 yards (where I normally play) and between 125-130. My home course is one of the easier courses I play, I believe it is 71.1 and 125 from my tees. I don't find that it plays that easy, since there is quite a bit of out of bounds, and it is frequently not far off the fairway.

A lot of water down here. This weekends course had 71.4 rating and 138 slope. Although the average for the Tee's I play from is about 128-134.

Tapping away on my S3

In case anyone is curious, the Tangle Ridge golf course that hosted the Dallas Invitational is 70.8/128 from the tees we played. IMO, it certainly plays much more difficult then the rating would suggest.

I don't have any "slope" details for my home course, but what I will say is that my home course is a good 3-4 shots harder than the vast majority of courses in our local area, and also most of the courses I have played throughout the UK.

I do prefer to have a tough home course, because generally it means if I play "away" I usually fair reasonably well and in addition to that I am used to playing it safe off the tee, playing tight fairways, over water etc etc etc.

I don't have any "slope" details for my home course, but what I will say is that my home course is a good 3-4 shots harder than the vast majority of courses in our local area, and also most of the courses I have played throughout the UK.

I do prefer to have a tough home course, because generally it means if I play "away" I usually fair reasonably well and in addition to that I am used to playing it safe off the tee, playing tight fairways, over water etc etc etc.

Okay Mav, you got my interest raised now - which course is your home course?

I might just have to see if I can arrange to bring my clubs down that way some time when we go to visit the kids

The majority of the golf courses I play fall in between 71-72 from the tees at around 6500 yards (where I normally play) and between 125-130. My home course is one of the easier courses I play, I believe it is 71.1 and 125 from my tees. I don't find that it plays that easy, since there is quite a bit of out of bounds, and it is frequently not far off the fairway.

I thought Buckhorn Springs would be a pretty high slope rating because of the OB being so close. I was probably lucky my driver broke that day and I had to hit three iron off the tee all day. It is certainly not an "easy" course, fun but not easy.

Okay Mav, you got my interest raised now - which course is your home course?

I might just have to see if I can arrange to bring my clubs down that way some time when we go to visit the kids

Three Rivers in Essex. Welcome to come down and join s for a round anytime mate.

Home Course:

Gold 72.1/141 @ 6700 yds
Blue 70.2/133 @ 6200 yds
White 67.8/125 @ 5660 yds

I'm usually on the gold in summer and blue in winter. Whites if the rest of the group is up there and no one will go back to my tees to help me see the ball.

I am equally bad from all of them with 84 the last three days on different tees each day.

Three Rivers in Essex. Welcome to come down and join s for a round anytime mate.

Cheers, I will have to find out when we are planning to head down that way to see the family and then possibly speak to you at the Belfry in June about organising something

Cheers, I will have to find out when we are planning to head down that way to see the family and then possibly speak to you at the Belfry in June about organising something
Take your passport Doc! And be careful, they eat their young down there.....

as UK doesn't do slope or rating, its difficult to tell. My home course is probably quite easy to play, until you get to the greens, where there are some subtle borrows. At times the ball seems to roll up hill.....

Take your passport Doc! And be careful, they eat their young down there.....

as UK doesn't do slope or rating, its difficult to tell. My home course is probably quite easy to play, until you get to the greens, where there are some subtle borrows. At times the ball seems to roll up hill.....

Already been down that way a couple times last year as the son-in-law is in the parachute regiment based at Colchester, and then we were there between christmas and new year when the little one was born so I have no doubt there will be a trip down every few months or so

If you ever head up this way I will have to see about trying to get a round at one of our local courses - got a few nice ones to choose from, some relatively straight forward if you can play sensibly, others are a bit tricky with the usual risk/reward shots

Already been down that way a couple times last year as the son-in-law is in the parachute regiment based at Colchester, and then we were there between christmas and new year when the little one was born so I have no doubt there will be a trip down every few months or so

If you ever head up this way I will have to see about trying to get a round at one of our local courses - got a few nice ones to choose from, some relatively straight forward if you can play sensibly, others are a bit tricky with the usual risk/reward shots

Essex veteran then! You should be safe enough with a para looking after you. Nice part of the world really, I have heard good things about 3 rivers, mostly at The Winter Cup mind you...

We are incredibly lucky in UK to have a huge number of great courses. I'll definitely put you on my northern tour list! Will need to check that Crag Rat hasn't broken himself before setting out of course.

Essex veteran then! You should be safe enough with a para looking after you. Nice part of the world really, I have heard good things about 3 rivers, mostly at The Winter Cup mind you...

We are incredibly lucky in UK to have a huge number of great courses. I'll definitely put you on my northern tour list! Will need to check that Crag Rat hasn't broken himself before setting out of course.

Aye, would be good to get something sorted and I don't mind heading down towards Crag for something round his way

Same invite goes to Mav as well after offering me a round at his place

Back