2013 THP Masters Contest & Thread Sponsored By TaylorMade

They just said Ross Fisher got a penalty last year for slow play.

That was in a European event, handed out by the same guy incidentally.

Nope. But he was obviously the first person that played slow after NUMEROUS warnings. I'm not saying it isn't hard on him, but the tour rules on slow play are quite clear.
Not obvious at all if players was warned and penalized there wouldnt be an issue with slow play, hence they have chose a 14 yr old to make a scape goat.

Dufner sitting at -2, hanging around, getting ready to make a charge, I can feel it.

Nope. But he was obviously the first person that played slow after NUMEROUS warnings. I'm not saying it isn't hard on him, but the tour rules on slow play are quite clear.

That is because giving out a warning is subjective. You dont think Kevin Na, Ben Crane, Tiger Woods (all slow players) get numerous warnings for playing slow do you? Yet their round times are the same as this kid?

Put a shot clock up (like I have been saying for 2 years) and take the subjectivity out of it.

Phil is making me sad.

Phil is making me sad.

I'm really surprised. I know it's not over yet and he's more than capable then throwing together a big weekend charge, but I thought he was going to really contend for this.

That is because giving out a warning is subjective. You dont think Kevin Na, Ben Crane, Tiger Woods (all slow players) get numerous warnings for playing slow do you? Yet their round times are the same as this kid?

Put a shot clock up (like I have been saying for 2 years) and take the subjectivity out of it.
It's easy to pick on a kid to make a statement, the PGA wouldnt want to upset Tiger or one of the other big boys like darts dont want to upset Phil Taylor. There crowd pullers and money makers.

I'm really surprised. I know it's not over yet and he's more than capable then throwing together a big weekend charge, but I thought he was going to really contend for this.

Me too. He was looking good earlier in his round too.

1st slow play penalty in PGA tour sanctioned event enforced in 18 years. How effin classy.

ETA: edited due to Twitter update from Sobel

It's easy to pick on a kid to make a statement, the PGA wouldnt want to upset Tiger or one of the other big boys like darts dont want to upset Phil Taylor. There crowd pullers and money makers.

But a 14 YO playing the weekend is a news maker.....on the international level. So dumb on so many levels.

1st slow play penalty at Augusta enforced in 18 years. How effin classy.

So the 14 year old is the slowest player to play the Masters in 18 years? I don't think so, I can think of several that are out on the course now.

this was on twitter

Matteo Manessero played with Tianlang Guan said "he's been slow...It didn't feel too slow for me but the times are saying that."

SO, if he misses the cut by 1 stroke, this will be magnified immensely.

So the 14 year old is the slowest player to play the Masters in 18 years? I don't think so, I can think of several that are out on the course now.

I just edited....first since 1995 on any PGA tour sanctioned event per Sobel.

I cant remember anyone in all the time I have watched golf get a 1 stroke penalty, they have picked on an easy target. They had better start penalizing all the slow players.

That to me is the bottom line.

Love seeing Crenshaw mentoring the kid. They just showed his putt on 18 for par and you could see Crenshaw get excited as it rolled in.

Sometimes making history is more important than making statements. This is one of those times.

Dude, my Bridgestone J40 that I ordered is a BOMBER! Love that GD ADDi 7 shaft!

Well the Masters is on ESPN now so it will be all about Tiger in a few minutes anyway.

Well the Masters is on ESPN now so it will be all about Tiger in a few minutes anyway.

guess that means this thread will really be hopping then.

Do you think they singled out Guan for the penalty because he's not getting a paycheck?

Back