Your take on cargo shorts

I try to golf in burlap underwear, but only when the temps get above 85.

I feel it helps keep my mind off how poorly I'm golfing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I wear cargo shorts if they are allowed in the dress code. Before I travel to a new course I make sure to call and find out what the dress code is. However, even Im on a "nicer" course and see someone breaking the rules I'm not going to run and find an official and tell. Im out here playing a game and my ultimate goal is to have fun and enjoy myself. They do allow fun on your "nicer" courses, don't they?
I find it ridiculous that I have to "dress up" to play a game. Therefore, I will always opt to dress for comfort. And if someone has a problem with the way i dress then he, mr 5 iron, and myself can have a little discussion.

I wear cargo shorts if they are allowed in the dress code. Before I travel to a new course I make sure to call and find out what the dress code is. However, even Im on a "nicer" course and see someone breaking the rules I'm not going to run and find an official and tell. Im out here playing a game and my ultimate goal is to have fun and enjoy myself. They do allow fun on your "nicer" courses, don't they?
I find it ridiculous that I have to "dress up" to play a game. Therefore, I will always opt to dress for comfort. And if someone has a problem with the way i dress then he, mr 5 iron, and myself can have a little discussion.

You're going to come at someone with a 5 iron for questioning you breaking one of the core principles of the games etiquette? Seems legit.

For me, it depends on the appearance.

Pressed and neat, yes:
cargo-shorts-stone.jpg

Baggy and ratty, no:
mens-cargo-shorts-07m025-872.jpg

I think those look good.

Now I personally think cargos look tacky, but the way shark hat showed them would be acceptable. Golf is not only about playing good but also looking good

You're going to come at someone with a 5 iron for questioning you breaking one of the core principles of the games etiquette? Seems legit.

I feel there are alot more important etiquettes of the game other than how someone is dressed. Does the way someone is dressed really affect a person's experience on the course? If so, that may saw more about the person it bothers.
I love the game of golf, I just have never understood the whole getting dressed up to play. I venture to say that 99 percent of the people I encounter on the course are not getting paid to play. And are there for the same reason I am...to have fun. We have both paid the same money to have said fun. It seems to me that golf give an excuse to arrogant, stuffy people to even more so.
So yes, if someone came at me questioning my attire it would really piss me off.

I feel there are alot more important etiquettes of the game other than how someone is dressed. Does the way someone is dressed really affect a person's experience on the course? If so, that may saw more about the person it bothers.
I love the game of golf, I just have never understood the whole getting dressed up to play. I venture to say that 99 percent of the people I encounter on the course are not getting paid to play. And are there for the same reason I am...to have fun. We have both paid the same money to have said fun. It seems to me that golf give an excuse to arrogant, stuffy people to even more so.
So yes, if someone came at me questioning my attire it would really piss me off.

I agree with your thoughts on dress codes, but life is too short to get fired up by idiots being idiots. Babies cry. Puppies pee and idiots talk rubbish. Just let them get on with it!:angel:

Dress codes are not as restrictive as the rules for PGA Tour or LPGA Tour players, but they are designed to ensure that amateur players adhere to a certain protocol to help maintain the game's traditions. To me, I dress well on the course because it is about showing respect to the roots of the game, and my fellow players.

That said, dress how you want. It's a free world, do as you please...just don't piss and moan when a course tells you that you can't step foot on it until you change. Wear jorts and a wife beater for all I care, if it's allowed at the course. I won't say anything to you, but I'll laugh about it.

I say wear em. There are limits to how ratty they should look though.

I use to wear these all the time. We moved and now I have to wear stuff equal to the pro shop. To be honest, I enjoyed the county club stuff better.

I have some on right now.....but I'm at Home Depot, not the course.

#justsaying

To me, I dress well on the course because it is about showing respect to the roots of the game, and my fellow players.

Players like Bobby Jones would wear button down shirts and ties when they played. So they very well may have looked down on guys who think they dress well these days.
I wasn't trying to upset anyone with my thoughts. Its just something I have disagreed with for a long time. I did mention in my first post that I will always adhere to the dress code of the golf course, i just don't agree with it. I love golf way too much not to play.

:popcorn:

Working in the yard yes. Playing golf no way

Dress codes are not as restrictive as the rules for PGA Tour or LPGA Tour players, but they are designed to ensure that amateur players adhere to a certain protocol to help maintain the game's traditions. To me, I dress well on the course because it is about showing respect to the roots of the game, and my fellow players.

How come they allow LPGA players to wear shorts and sleeveless shirts? I think ratings are more important than traditions.:alien:

Anyway, thanks for that picture Sharkhat. I've never really understood the aversion to cargo pants until I saw the difference between those. I agree now that there are some cargo shorts that just shouldn't be worn to a nice place. But on the average muni I don't care what someone wears. It's like the difference between going to McDonalds and a nice restaurant.

Boredom has set in and I read all 43 pages omg, about shorts!

I have read this whole thread and I just want to say... I love you all! Your neurotic, opinionated, hoity toity, swampy-rear, high class, low rent, anti-establishment craziness and all!

I also just bought 6 pairs of shorts and pants online. So, well done.

for me it depends on the cut and look of them. Some company's make them so you can't iron them to look nice and some look clean and streamlined.

I've only just seen this thread, so I'm a little late to it. My old club back in the UK wouldn't let you in the course with cargo's on. What I like about golf over here (CA) is there aren't these stuffy dress rules, everyone is just out to enjoy their golf!! Despite wearing nothing but cargo's, I don't actually wear them playing golf, but I have no issue at all about others wearing them. One thing I would never do though is iron creases into my shorts, cargo or not. If all I had were those creased shorts from earlier in the thread, I'd wear pants!

cargo shorts should not be allowed on a private golf course

public course - go right ahead...wear your hat backwards too

cargo shorts should not be allowed on a private golf course

public course - go right ahead...wear your hat backwards too
What about my sleeveless golf shirts?

Back