Garmin Approach S3 GPS Watch

Buckjob

My Friend's Call Me Drew
Reaction score
Handicap
does anyone have one of these? i'm contemplating grabbing one and i was wondering how they worked on the course. they look great and i think i might like the idea of having the GPS with me during my round although i haven't had a watch on while playing before. and they are pretty expensive so i'd like some feedback before i snag one.

I have never tried one but personally I can NOT play with a watch on. That is just me, Phil wears a watch in competition. I would say try playing with a watch on.

Yeah I am gonna hit balls tomorrow with one on and see how I like it. Before I buy anything. I do wonder how well this S3 works. The videos I've seen are pretty cool

last year I played a round with somone who had that. my GPS (golfBuddy) and his garmin GPS watch didn't agree on some holes.. as much as 10 yards but when disagreement was there it was about 5 yards in average.
That's when I thought "maybe laser might be a way to go?"

I have played using the Warming S1 fir about a year and a half now. It works flawlessly and have had only one course that didn't time up in GPS. Very light and I dont realize its on my wrist. Of course its not as accurate as a laser because you only get F/M/B on the green and you never know exactly where the flag is placed in relation. I have tasted it against my laser and it is pretty accurate to within 5 yards which I think accounts for the exact pin placement which the laser obviously provides. Its a great device in my opinion. I am so used to playing with watch that I feel odd when I don't have it.

TapAhoy!

I have played using the Warming S1 fir about a year and a half now. It works flawlessly and have had only one course that didn't time up in GPS. Very light and I dont realize its on my wrist. Of course its not as accurate as a laser because you only get F/M/B on the green and you never know exactly where the flag is placed in relation. I have tasted it against my laser and it is pretty accurate to within 5 yards which I think accounts for the exact pin placement which the laser obviously provides. Its a great device in my opinion. I am so used to playing with watch that I feel odd when I don't have it.

TapAhoy!

Thanks SMG the S3 you can move the flag on the green view and it should make that more accurate. I'm gonna wear a watch and see how I like it when I hit balls and if I don't mind it I think i may purchase it.

Buck,
I have a quick question for you though. You are looking at this and looking at rangefinders. Why not get the hybrid so you get both in one device?

Also keep in mind the battery life is approximately 7 -8 hours with the GPS mode. I have played back to back rounds and it lasted both rounds once. On the other multiple round day it died at about the 15th hole on my second round.

TapAhoy!

Buck,
I have a quick question for you though. You are looking at this and looking at rangefinders. Why not get the hybrid so you get both in one device?

Have the hybrid just sold it I never use the GPS part. I dunno why I only use the rangefinder. Just thought if its on my wrist I might use it look at it more.

Also keep in mind the battery life is approximately 7 -8 hours with the GPS mode. I have played back to back rounds and it lasted both rounds once. On the other multiple round day it died at about the 15th hole on my second round.

TapAhoy!

Yeah the battery life isn't great on these.

Have the hybrid just sold it I never use the GPS part. I dunno why I only use the rangefinder. Just thought if its on my wrist I might use it look at it more.

If you never used the GPS function, I would go with the other option. You can always add an inexpensive GPS down the road. Unless you are looking for a gadget to buy, then of course, as a gadget person, I understand. :D

If you never used the GPS function, I would go with the other option. You can always add an inexpensive GPS down the road. Unless you are looking for a gadget to buy, then of course, as a gadget person, I understand. :D

I feel that's more what the watch is for me. Or for non competitive rounds maybe. Any way to justify the purchase. Haha

I have the S1 watch and I love it! Since this was the first generation it doesn't have distances to trouble/hazards or doglegs just to greens. It is a great little product and it really has helped me improve my game and it is great for club testing as well, it has a measure shot feature which allows you to see exactly how far you are hitting the ball instead of ball parking.

I was skeptical at first about playing with the watch on my wrist but after the first round I didn't notice it at all. IMO you cant beat the convenience of having distances on your wrist.

Battery life isn't great but I was down in Myrtle Beach and played 36 one day and the watch lasted both rounds.

I am thinking this is going to be a christmas presesnt for me.

I have the S3 and I like it. My only complaint is that I was playing the other day it was really cloudy and the distance took a moment to stop jumping all over the place. I haven't been able to play 36 yet this year so I can't comment on the battery life. I never could play with a watch before either and it took a few rounds to get used to but the way it's made it is quite comfortable. In all honesty I was planning on buying a rangefinder instead but my girlfriend got it for me for Christmas but now that I've used it I will stick with it.

I have the S3 and I like it. My only complaint is that I was playing the other day it was really cloudy and the distance took a moment to stop jumping all over the place. I haven't been able to play 36 yet this year so I can't comment on the battery life. I never could play with a watch before either and it took a few rounds to get used to but the way it's made it is quite comfortable. In all honesty I was planning on buying a rangefinder instead but my girlfriend got it for me for Christmas but now that I've used it I will stick with it.

No problems with the touch screen? And it's easy to use?

Buck,

I'm looking at these as well, it seems easier an as relatable than a range finders. Plus I can wear at the MC and a hybrid wouldn't be allowed, right?

I am also considering this device. I have spoken to HjHay22 a bit who has the S1 and he likes it. IT is the wearing a watch part that I also wonder about but it look light weight.

Freddie, the hybrid would be allowed as I understand, any rangefinder that used a slope feature is what would not be allowed at the MC, or at least turn that feature off. Otherwise I would think you were good to go.

I bought the white S3 mid-season last year and would not look back. I LOVE this thing and find that even though I have a laser rangefinder, if I were to leave one of them at home, I'd rather it be the laser. The thing is so light you forget it's on and it has been VERY accurate for me. I'm in Atlanta and it has had no problems picking up any courses I've played between here and Alabama, Florida, or North Carolina. I am actually considering getting another one just to have another color. It is THAT good!!! By the way, the touch screen feature is awesome and being able to move the flag to it's true position is helpful as well. I definitely saw a change in my scores that I can mostly attribute to this watch.

I have to admit that my friend has a S1 and I have a regular Garmin GPS, and the S1 experience is just faster when we're walking. He'll have the read while I'm still digging around and picking up my regular GPS out of the push cart. I think if you walk, the watch is the way to go. If you ride, the passenger can get the read on the standard GPS and the additional features are benefit.

The only real gap I see with the S1 is to a hazard and over a hazard. I think the newer S3 version might support that though.

The other concern might be battery life. Others have mentioned that here. I always prefer externally rechargeable batteries.

I have the older S1 and absolutely love it. Super convenient and light enough I don't notice it at all. I have forgotten to grab it off the charger a couple of times, and even if I have my skycaddie available, I catch myself looking at my bare wrist in frustration. As others have said, the only real complaint is battery life. 18 holes is no problem, but 36 is going to be a real stretch. The couple of times I tried to get a second round in it never made it past about the 12th hole or so.

Well I just hit the range with 2 watches on. One on each wrist. I actually didn't mind it at all. I'm pretty sure wearing 2 gives me a double power bonus like in tiger woods on Playstation but so such luck. Looking like I may have to go look at these in person and decide a color. Figured this is a heavy and big watch for me and I had no problems wearing it during a full range session.
7utavuta.jpg

...I'm pretty sure wearing 2 gives me a double power bonus like in tiger woods on Playstation but so such luck.

That's funny. I usually wear my Breitling when I play. That's a big chunk of metal and just like playing ball with a sore ankle, you don't notice it when you're in action. I just got a gps watch and it's so light it's barely noticeable at all in comparison.

You'll never know you're wearing it during a swing.

I have the s1 and love it. Barely know its on your wrist. And most people who have other GPS devices, there usually within 3 yards of each other. Plus you don't have to carry it and worrying about leaving it

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2

One of my regular golfing buddies has the S3 and loves it, we played 36 a few weeks back and he had battery life to spare, although it wasn't very much. I carry a Bushnell V2 and we tested it against the S3 on some bunkers and hazards and it was never more than a yard or so off.

Back