Explosions in Boston during Boston Marathon

He is a terrorists and deserves to be treated as such.

Amen brother. Better be a federal trial, otherwise we get to pay for this scumbag for the rest of his life.

The flash point of gas is like -45 or something like that can't remember off hand but I'm somewhat close.

He does not deserve to be treated as a criminal! :angry:He is a terrorists and deserves to be treated as such.

You are correct.

All I know is today's gas is horrible.

~Joseph~
via Tapatalk

He does not deserve to be treated as a criminal! :angry:He is a terrorists and deserves to be treated as such.

Good news, reports are still conflicting. If you go to one source, they were read. You go to another, they weren't said for public safety exception. I'm sure there will be an official statement or press conference within the next 24 hours that'll answer it.

It's not about him, he is screwed, if he was to tell you of a terrorist house full of 100 bombs and 15 terrorist, the whole thing could be thrown out later if a judge decides he was a criminal not an enemy combatant. As much as anybody else I would love to see him treated as a combatant. I just don't see the risk being worth it unless you think another attack is imminent and must be stopped NOW. Obviously I don't know if that is the case.

Can't they read him his rights at a later time? Or does it have to be immediate?

White Hat is in serious condition at the moment.

It's not about him, he is screwed, if he was to tell you of a terrorist house full of 100 bombs and 15 terrorist, the whole thing could be thrown out later if a judge decides he was a criminal not an enemy combatant. As much as anybody else I would love to see him treated as a combatant. I just don't see the risk being worth it unless you think another attack is imminent and must be stopped NOW. Obviously I don't know if that is the case.

There is less risk in treating him as an enemy combatant than a mere criminal, where full Constitutional rights accrue. As he can be interrogated more rigorously and with less concern about Constitutional protections there is much to be gained from treating him as an enemy combatant (to be clear, I am not talking about torture but things like access to counsel, etc.)

Amen brother. Better be a federal trial, otherwise we get to pay for this scumbag for the rest of his life.

Seems probable there could be both state and fed charges.

Crazy that this guy got out of the perimeter that police had originally set up. Without the person being vigilant at their home, this guy may not have been found for a long time.

Crazy that this guy got out of the perimeter that police had originally set up. Without the person being vigilant at their home, this guy may not have been found for a long time.

What's odd is he got out of the inner perimeter, but still holed up JUST outside of it. I'm guessing his injuries wouldn't allow him to go any farther. I'm thankful.

Can't they read him his rights at a later time? Or does it have to be immediate?

Generally, Miranda rights accrue when a suspect is subject to custodial interrogation. The public safety exception generally requires a subsequent threat to be present and the suspect to have information that could end / prevent the threat (think scenario where you capture a terrorist just before the terrorist attack is to happen). Case law - which I am not up to speed on - likely defines all those things...but generally it seems like the PSE wouldn't apply here, as the threat is over (just my two cents)...and since he is in custody and subject to questioning, Miranda rights would be in order...unless he is being treated as an enemy combatant, wherein people have fewer Constitutional protections/rights.

Generally, Miranda rights accrue when a suspect is subject to custodial interrogation. The public safety exception generally requires a subsequent threat to be present and the suspect to have information that could end / prevent the threat. Case law - which I am not up to speed on - defines all those things...but generally it seems like the PSE wouldn't apply here, as the threat is over (just my two cents)...and since he is in custody and subject to questioning, Miranda rights would be in order...unless he is being treated as an enemy combatant, wherein people have less Constitutional protections/rights.

It seems to me, that if treated as an enemy combatant, that "status" could be revoked at a later time and he coudl be treated as a criminal, and all evidence accrued during the questioning could be out the window Obviously this is far outside of the area that I deal with, so I'm just thinking to myself.

XDuMHCY.jpg

It seems to me, that if treated as an enemy combatant, that "status" could be revoked at a later time and he coudl be treated as a criminal, and all evidence accrued during the questioning could be out the window Obviously this is far outside of the area that I deal with, so I'm just thinking to myself.

Yep, I agree.

Are they doing a tracheotomy?

Would doubt than an ATF guy would be performing one.

Most swat teams will have a Medic, a EMT guy who trains with the swat team, I wouldn't doubt ATF would even have a full on doctor on the team.

Would doubt than an ATF guy would be performing one.

Ya, I guess it was a dumb question but it kind of looks like they are working in that area...

Are they doing a tracheotomy?

My wife just looked at it and that was her thought before seeing your question. She has done ER nursing so has seen some of that stuff.

Initial report was that he did have a gunshot wound to the neck.

My wife just looked at it and that was her thought before seeing your question. She has done ER nursing so has seen some of that stuff.

It certainly looks like that could be it to me too, but granted I can barely tell the difference between a trach and and vasectomy.

It's a trach, the Swat or ATF carry at least one medic on staff

I guess that would do away with the Miranda/ No miranda debate, doesn't matter to much either way if you can't talk.

It certainly looks like that could be it to me too, but granted I can barely tell the difference between a trach and and vasectomy.

If you ever need a trach and they take your pants off, start yelling for help. Oh wait, you probably can't if you need a trach. Oh well.

If you need ever a trach and they take your pants off, start yelling for help. Oh wait, you probably can't if you need a trach. Oh well.

Not sure if I had previously laughed in this thread... I have now.

Back