JeffReedMO

Banned
Reaction score
Grew up listening to this man with my Grandmother. He was one of her favorite singers. This song makes me think of my Grandmother and makes me miss her every time I hear it.

Always one of my favorites, this is very sad news. I live half a mile from his and Tammy Wynettes house they wrote all those songs about.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

He was a true legend....I met him several times during my days in radio...he was a character to say the least.

RIP George.

Sad news, Rest in Peace

Amazing sometimes that he lived as long as he did.

RIP George.

Grew up listening to this man with my Grandmother. He was one of her favorite singers. This song makes me think of my Grandmother and makes me miss her every time I hear it.

one of the few country superstars to come out of my home town and that song you posted is a tear jerker

one of the few country superstars to come out of my home town and that song you posted is a tear jerker

That's why I posted it. I can still hear my Grandmother singing along to it. It was her favorite song and gets me every time.

That's why I posted it. I can still hear my Grandmother singing along to it. It was her favorite song and gets me every time.

yea for me its about my grandfather

Loved his music. When country music was country music and not the pop music that passes for it now. Reminds me of the lyrics from one of his songs:

Last night I broke the seal on a Jim Beam decanter
That looks like Elvis
I soaked the label off a Flinstone Jelly Bean jar
I cleared us off a place for that
One little table that you left us
And pulled me up a big ole piece of floor

I pulled the head off Elvis
Filled Fred up to his pelvis
[FONT=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif]Yabba Dabba Doo, the King is gone
[/FONT]And so are you.

One of the greats! I still listen to a lot of his stuff as well as others!

Guess the possum finally decided to show for this one. Can't believe he made it this long!

This is really sad to me, my grandpa listened to No Show all the time when he was still around.

Here are some awesome #PossumFacts from one of my favorite CFB writers on Twitter, EDSBS.

RIP George.

These "stars" of today, have nothing on the good ole' boys of yesterday. Love it.

My parents went to see George Jones many many years ago.. He was two hours late, when he did come out on stage he was very drunk!! Played one song, threw his guitar in the air and walked off stage and didn't return....

Sad, indeed. George Jones always makes me think of my dad because he is a big fan. Give me the old stuff over the new stuff anyday. No one will fill his shoes.

Ole George was my favorite country singer. i've been to see him in concert and love his style of music. A true country legend has left the building. RIP Opossum :guitar:

Man, what a sad day. Truly a legend. He won't be forgotten.

RIP George, one of the greatest.

Damn, a true legend! His effect on country music lives on. RIP

His was one of my first albums after I started listening to country music in 1980.

I will give you guys a typical George Jones story....years ago I was working at a radio station and we sponsored one of his concerts, it was during his "no show" days....we have 5,000 people packed into this arena...the opening act played for 90 minutes and still no George....we waiting for about an hour and then I had to go on stage to announce that he wasn't there and tell everyone to go the the ticket booth for a refund.

Me and a couple of buddies left and decided to hit a local bar so it wouldn't be a total loss...we walk in and sitting at the bar was the Ole Possum himself wearing a baseball cap and dark glasses...we drank with him the rest of the night.

"He Stopped Loving Her Today" is one of the best songs ever written and no one could have ever sang it like The Possum could.

RIP

That's my favorite Possum song of all time. Grew up on George and all the old country greats. Sad day.

A true legend. These guys now days are soft.

Been listening to some old Possum since I got in from work tonight. So many childhood memories, I feel like a little bit of that childhood died today.

I think this one is fitting. Forgive, I haven't figured out how to embed videos from my phone just yet.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=fvwrel&v=xi3GgoLtlWk#

Last edited:
Back