Cleveland 588 Altitude Hybrid Irons Preview

thanks for the info guys. i couldn't remember working the ball being talked about much in this thread. i know that these are not really designed for that but thought id ask anyhow.

thanks for the info guys. i couldn't remember working the ball being talked about much in this thread. i know that these are not really designed for that but thought id ask anyhow.

To answer your question specifically, anything with this much mass and launches the ball like this will be harder to move left/right and down compared to smaller profiled club heads. But it can certainly be done. Most people see an iron like this and assume huge amounts of draw bias and a club that hooks. It could not be further from the truth.

Really disappointed with myself that I didn't try these at the demo day, I really liked the HB3 set and with the ability to mix and match with the MT I bet these would be super nice.

To answer your question specifically, anything with this much mass and launches the ball like this will be harder to move left/right and down compared to smaller profiled club heads. But it can certainly be done. Most people see an iron like this and assume huge amounts of draw bias and a club that hooks. It could not be further from the truth.

I saw no draw bias out of these at the outing with the 4i but can see why many would think that. With the mass positioned where it is they do launch the ball straight very well. Wish I would have spent more time with them at the Invitational.

Well that's definitive. Thanks. I steered well clear of these in Ohio.... Who wants lower scores anyhow.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Those of you gaming these or having success demo'ing them.. what shafts are you using? Everyone w/ the Kua's 59's? Looking at the profiles, all the flexes look pretty similar (I also remember seeing the same thing with previous Mashie hybrids that used Kua's)... are you guys all playing stiff? What's your 8i carry, for example, to get a gauge? Thanks :)

I hit these in the demo bay yesterday and was pleasantly surprised. The face was slightly bothersome the first time but after the first swing all that went away. 6i with SR flex graphite nice easy swing created a nice high flight with a slight fade at 182yds CARRY... If the 4 & 5 irons are that easy to hit these really may get another look!

My normal 6i is about 160 carry. When I hit it today with the s300 I was seeing 200+ carry but my lanch angle was better at 18*. I am truly trying to talk myself out of these as I really think they are game changers!

Those of you gaming these or having success demo'ing them.. what shafts are you using? Everyone w/ the Kua's 59's? Looking at the profiles, all the flexes look pretty similar (I also remember seeing the same thing with previous Mashie hybrids that used Kua's)... are you guys all playing stiff? What's your 8i carry, for example, to get a gauge? Thanks :)

C. Kua in stiff.
8 iron carry is 150

Stock stiff graphite (UST Mamiya), 8i carry is about 145.

Stock reg. flex graphite 8 iron carry 130ish

Aldila VS Proto 85 Reg flex. Very low torque. 8 iron carry 130-135.

fify :act-up:

With the offset, size, and shape of this ibrid I can't imagine a fade is the easiest shot to hit with them.

They have much less offset than the previous generation. They are much more workable.

I would submit that anyone that has played with JB, or even my sorry swing would say they are definitely wonderfully flighted.

They have much less offset than the previous generation. They are much more workable.

I would submit that anyone that has played with JB, or even my sorry swing would say they are definitely wonderfully flighted.

Heck yea this big guy hits a beautiful fade with these puppies!

I found another person that can't hit these. A friend that I play with really goes down after the ball. He takes healthy divots. He cannot hit these. He tried to hit these on the range for 1/2 hour. He would hand my 5 iron back to me, let me hit a few, and say give it back. He never could hit them well. He either hit them fat or bounced into the ball. He is a good player, but, these are just not for him. I am more of a picker. I was wondering if others that take healthy divots were having the same issue?

I found another person that can't hit these. A friend that I play with really goes down after the ball. He takes healthy divots. He cannot hit these. He tried to hit these on the range for 1/2 hour. He would hand my 5 iron back to me, let me hit a few, and say give it back. He never could hit them well. He either hit them fat or bounced into the ball. He is a good player, but, these are just not for him. I am more of a picker. I was wondering if others that take healthy divots were having the same issue?
Hi, I take some spectacular divots. I do not get along with these irons.

fify :act-up:

With the offset, size, and shape of this ibrid I can't imagine a fade is the easiest shot to hit with them.

I would have made that same argument, but I really don't know that I've ever hit a hook with the altitude.. In fact, most go perfectly straight.

Like you, i typically pick it pretty clean. (Side note: why does it feel weird to say that?)

Occasionally grab a divot but not the norm.

I would have made that same argument, but I really don't know that I've ever hit a hook with the altitude.. In fact, most go perfectly straight.

I would have to agree with this. I try to hit a fade as my miss, but, these go straight for the most part. I have to do crazy stuff to hit any more than a draw.

I was wondering if this was consistent.
I would say it doesnt benefit those that have steep swings, but JB has a steep swing at times and plays them well.

Like you, i typically pick it pretty clean. (Side note: why does it feel weird to say that?)

Occasionally grab a divot but not the norm.

I'm a picker, I'm a grinner, and I'm a midnight sinner :guitar:. I'm one of those in the picker category and I was hitting baby high draws with these irons.

On the Cleveland website, I see no option for the Miyazaki shafts. There is:

Stock Steel
Stock Graphite (Actionlite)
DG
DGSL
GS95
PX
KBS Tour
Nippon
Pro Launch Red

This is on the store portion of the site I mean, when looking to order. When you look at custom shafts on the product page, the Miyazaki's show up though.

On the Cleveland website, I see no option for the Miyazaki shafts. There is:

Stock Steel
Stock Graphite (Actionlite)
DG
DGSL
GS95
PX
KBS Tour
Nippon
Pro Launch Red

This is on the store portion of the site I mean, when looking to order. When you look at custom shafts on the product page, the Miyazaki's show up though.

That is strange. Maybe give them a call at 877-906-8815 and see what they say?

How were these received at the Atlantic City outing?
I haven't seen any response to the Altitudes from the AC outing. I could have missed it, just curious as these keep getting great reviews from everyone else.

Last edited:
That is strange. Maybe give them a call at 877-906-8815 and see what they say?

Called them and they said it "probably means" it isn't possible to order that combo at this time (although the guy didn't really seem to know why that was). He said he'd forward it over to someone else and see if they can figure it out. I asked if making a custom order over the phone (or at least to get a quote) was possible either, and he said no.. even though that shaft is listed as a custom shaft option under the product page. We'll see if they can come up with anything, but not the most knowledgeable/helpful customer service...

JB, how did you order your set?

Back