The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another week of not having any practice and I am not enjoying the feeling to be honest, but I decided not to push things with having had a few physio sessions for my back. I have been doing the stretching and twisting exercises I was given so hopefully I can get back into the range practice next week. Will be back at the physio in a couple hours and if everything is looking good then fingers crossed I can join in again properly with this thread and hoping that the lack of practice hasn't hurt me too much for my golf day tomorrow.....
I feel your pain, been down with my back all week. Hope you get the green light today.

Not much yesterday. I did hit a ton of balls at a demo day, but thats not real work. I did work on some putting and working on getting my self lined up a little from the 3 to 4 foot range by setting the putter behind the ball and seeing a line through the ball and the putter that is lined up with the line that I want to ball to travel on. Was seeing some success and also worked on speed for lag putts.

Nothing done this morning. Had to be at work at 1015 and wanted some extra sleep, so nothing done today.

Took new driver to the range, warmed up with irons, hit the ball decent. Went to the driver and immediately lost my driver swing that had been performing well as of late. Couldn't get ball in air, everything felt out near toe but face showed otherwise, small line drive duck hooks with no distance. Went downhill from there fast as when I went back to irons, the wheels fell off. Hoping its just an off night.

Went to the range today. I worked on staying connected better, stopping the chicken wing and releasing the club better. It seemed to work and I was taking much shallower divots and hitting shots with much more power and much straighter. I was hitting my 9-iron 140 yards and my 7-iron 160 yards, which is about 20 yards further than I had been hitting them.
I think having the feel that's left arm stays connected to my left side and turning through the shot better is helping, along with having a stronger grip. I'm soooooo sick of hitting blocks!

I had a strange range session today. My swing felt good but the toe of the club would twist towards me and I was hooking everything. I hope it's just from the crappy mat. Either way I'm going with what I have for my first round of the year tomorrow.

I need to work on more knee flex. I could feel myself getting too upright coming through the ball and forcing myself to come off and and pull everything left.

Spent some time swinging around and hitting a few balls over the last couple days. Trying out some of the ideas I saw in the Paul Wilson videos. Not really changing things as much as I am just using his ideas to get the feeling of doing what I should be doing - if that makes sense. Contact was very good, which is encouraging since I haven't been happy with my contact at all over the last couple weeks. Have no clue about distance though. My assumption is that it's not totally there, but I'm going to run with it for a bit and see what comes of it.

Going to the range today, might sneak over for a lesson if I can, need to right the ship after last nights awful range session

Went to the range today. I worked on staying connected better, stopping the chicken wing and releasing the club better. It seemed to work and I was taking much shallower divots and hitting shots with much more power and much straighter. I was hitting my 9-iron 140 yards and my 7-iron 160 yards, which is about 20 yards further than I had been hitting them.
I think having the feel that's left arm stays connected to my left side and turning through the shot better is helping, along with having a stronger grip. I'm soooooo sick of hitting blocks!
I was told that too strong of a grip is what causes blocks. My natural shape is a draw but my miss is a Block right. I have lightened up my grip and almost no blocks since then.

Took new driver to the range, warmed up with irons, hit the ball decent. Went to the driver and immediately lost my driver swing that had been performing well as of late. Couldn't get ball in air, everything felt out near toe but face showed otherwise, small line drive duck hooks with no distance. Went downhill from there fast as when I went back to irons, the wheels fell off. Hoping its just an off night.

When I got my new driver my first 50 swings or so were all of the heel and not very good shots. It took a while to get in a groove with it. I'm sure you'll have it dialed in before long.

When I got my new driver my first 50 swings or so were all of the heel and not very good shots. It took a while to get in a groove with it. I'm sure you'll have it dialed in before long.

well it carried over to the irons and I quickly turned into a hot mess

Found out last night I can only grab one bag of range balls.

That kinda sucks, so my plan going forward is to do a little more chipping and putting, then I'll go out on the course and try different things.

I'm thinking like hole #1 maybe use my 3h or 4i instead of my 3w/driver, hole #2 I'm definitely going to try the 4i on, I think it's short enough. After that the length of my home course kind of puts me back to hitting 3 wood on each hole.

Oh and I'm gonna take my 5h nike out and throw the driver back in the bag so I can practice with it, even though I hit my 3w farther.

~Joseph~
via Tapatalk

well it carried over to the irons and I quickly turned into a hot mess

I usually chalk up bad range sessions like that as an aberration and move on. Your swing looked pretty good last weekend. I would just start a fresh range session and not think about the prior one. That usually works for me.

I had some good thoughts from my last range session, but the crappy weather has not let me out to keep working on them.

In the gym last night, I found myself doing some practice swings while focusing in a weight shift key that I have been working with. The positions looked good in the mirrors, and fortunately the gym was empty so no one saw me being that douchey guy air-swinging in the mirrors.

I was told that too strong of a grip is what causes blocks. My natural shape is a draw but my miss is a Block right. I have lightened up my grip and almost no blocks since then.
How does it cause blocks? Youd think that a stronger grip would prevent blocks because it makes it easier to close the face and turn your hands over on the release.
See, Ive always been told that too weak of a grip causes blocks because you simply cant turn your hands over fast enough to not chicken wing it.
Hmmmm, I think I may have to pose this question in the ask the pro section.

Went to my old instructor for a lesson today. My irons had sucked for awhile but tee game was solid, well last night they both hit The crapper.

According to him my infamous back right shoulder drop was back and leading to my misses along with bringing the club way too far inside. Worked for 90 minutes on bringing the club back more square or even out away from my body and swinging to a full finish.

Still not happy with the driver especially considering how well I drove it last weekens, hut I did get some pointers to get me in the right direction.

Irons I continued to work on a shorter swing as he said when I was taking the club back so far inside I was rerouting it on my downswing making it impossible to he square at impact. Hopefully I can right the ship soon.

Just got back from a short game session....spent 2 hours doing nothing but working the Pelz method....lots of wedges, low, high, soft, spinners...can't wait to get the new j40 wedges and dial those babies in!

Made it to the range again today. That's the 3rd time this week I was able to go at lunch. Each visit knocks more rust off. Been primarily focusing on my iron swing. Next week I will start throwing chipping practice in the mix. Maybe go to range one day then chipping green the next. Time to get MC ready!

First range session of the year. 40* and a 20 mph wind in my face but I was smiling the entire time. I found the nice baby draw that I lost for most of 2013. I need to do a better job of getting aligned to the target properly and making sure the ball is in the same position everytime but I was thrilled to see the swing practice I did over the winter transferred to the range.

Had a lesson today.

The assistant pro with whom I had been taking lessons has unfortunately, moved away to take a new job in North Carolina. So tonight's lesson was with the head pro. We got along well, and I think we're not going to miss a beat.

I had a fantastic lesson. We worked on re-iterating most of the things that the previous pro had worked on, but also really concentrated on my release. It became apparent quickly that my lack of release was one of the major reasons I struggled so much in Ohio. I was really seeing a wonderful penetrating ball flight and much more online. What a massive difference from my weak sidespin-fade.

Of course now I just want to get out and play to see if I can take this progress to the course. And what's the forecast? Rain tomorrow, rain Sunday, rain Monday, some rain Tuesday. Bah.

Went to the range and was working on 2 things; striking the ball solidly and bringing my flight down a little. I had been hitting the ball a mile in the air lately losing distance. Today I really was really working on getting my weight and hands in front of the ball on impact to deloft the club. I was definitely hitting the ball at a much better trajectory. I would say it was a mid-high ball flight and didn't see too many shots balloon up and down the bag. Was striking the ball pretty solidly also. Overall, was pretty encouraged.

Put in a solid session this morning. I had decided before going that i would decicate the session to short game. Hit most of the bucket with my wedges but broke it up with about 15-20 drives. After that i went to the putting green to spend 30 mins chipping balls from all angles/lies and distances. Throughout all of my session on the green i only used my PW which i figured could only be a good thing. Felt very happy leaving.

I hate this game.

After a great lesson and wonderful range session yesterday that had me walking on air, I thought I'd head to the range today.

Probably half the shots I hit were shanks in my effort to swing more out. And of course once I'd hit a few shanks, I couldn't help but think "don't shank this one."

It was plain ugly and certainly didn't do much for my confidence.

I need to keep working on my knee flex this week. When I get too upright I am coming off the ball and pulling everything left.

had a great iron session today and really hitting my targets close but unfortunately some bad spin on the woods/driver and everything was bird diving after a great launch. got two rounds coming up this weekend so hopefully one more session before that. (gotta keep up with the old man - scratch golfer) need to find some places to play now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back