The Most Expensive 3-Putt in Golf?

MizunoStriker

Reaction score
Handicap
In the final round of the TPC today, David Lingmerth had a 60-foot putt on #18 to tie Tiger Woods and go into a playoff. Lingmerth was very aggressive with his putt and ran it some 15 feet by the hole. He missed the come backer and ended up 3-putting to put himself in a 3-way tie for 2nd place.

That 3-putt cost him $317,000. Excuse me whilst I go up-chuck! :banghead:

In the final round of the TPC today, David Lingmerth had a 60-foot putt on #18 to tie Tiger Woods and go into a playoff. Lingmerth was very aggressive with his putt and ran it some 15 feet by the hole. He missed the come backer and ended up 3-putting to put himself in a 3-way tie for 2nd place.

I saw a two putt and a chutt :p

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Gotta hand it to the kid for being aggressive with that 60 footer though...I hope he's very proud of himself!

He had one Hell of a tournament for his debut. I bet he's feeling extremely upset with himself and that's just a normal thing when you come close to changing an outcome like how he could have.

Gotta hand it to the kid for being aggressive with that 60 footer though...I hope he's very proud of himself!

Yeah definitely wouldn't want to leave it short. I applaud the guy, still gonna make some money

I don't know, Ithink you could look at it differently. I think he said to himself, "I'm going to make $709,000 regardless, so why not take a crack at $1.7 million, a win and the mental advantage for the rest of his career of knowing he had the guts to give Tiger a run and not choke"".

Like they say, if you leave it short, you never know if it would have went in. Gotta give him credit for having the guts to go for it.

the 300,000 dollar cost was worth the reward if he made the putt. I like the play.

You play to win the game. Hello!

Yeah that was an expensive series of putts. Considering that was his only top ten of the year, I hope his good form keep up. I'd hate to miss my tour card cuz I was too agreesive

He had a chance to tie. In that situation, you don't play for second. You try to make the putt.

the 300,000 dollar cost was worth the reward if he made the putt. I like the play.

I agree with this 100%, the odds of making the putt were low but the reward was certainly enough to make him take a real go at it.

No way he had $$$ in mind when he was standing over that 60-footer. I was really impressed with him all day and I think the one he'll regret was the one he missed on 17. That was a very makable putt. Now if we can just find someone to pick out his clothes...

I'm sure he's not fretting it this morning. He finished tied for second at the freaking Players. Sure, he might be thinking about what could have been, but he's thinking about it in terms of winning, not his paycheck. Regardless, I'll bet he's still walking on air this morning for having done so well.

I think this young man will be around for several more chances at going for the big bucks. I like his style :thumb:

The one on 17 was the one that cost him IMO. If he made that putt he wouldn't have had to be so aggressive with the one on 18.

I think he handled Sundays round great! He played with Sergio "I'm the victim" Garcia and kept up with him all day and playing behind Tiger who was playing well. I think he has something to be very proud of with his game.

Dont' forget the 2001 US Open with Stewie Cink. 3 putted from 15 feet to miss eventually miss out on a playoff. He 2 putts, he would have played for 900,000 the next day. Instead settled for 325,000.

As for yesterday. I like that the dude stepped up and gave it fling. Much more respect rather then him just lagging it up there.

Had he left it short, everyone would have ripped him. I commend him for giving it a run. Yes, I have seen putts cost the player much more money as well in the past.. Still a hell of a week for the kid!!

I agree with his decision to be aggressive with it. He tried to make it to tie the lead.

I don't know, Ithink you could look at it differently. I think he said to himself, "I'm going to make $709,000 regardless, so why not take a crack at $1.7 million, a win and the mental advantage for the rest of his career of knowing he had the guts to give Tiger a run and not choke"".

Like they say, if you leave it short, you never know if it would have went in. Gotta give him credit for having the guts to go for it.

Not just the 1.7 Million....but for a young rookie like him, the biggest prize might have been all the exemptions that come with being the Player's Champion....5 years exemption on the PGA Tour (that's huge!!), automatic invitations to the Masters and British Open for the next 3 years and automatic entry into this years US Open and PGA Championship.

something like that could really help a young guy get his career going the right way without having to worry about keeping his tour card and all that stuff.

Not just the 1.7 Million....but for a young rookie like him, the biggest prize might have been all the exemptions that come with being the Player's Champion....5 years exemption on the PGA Tour (that's huge!!), automatic invitations to the Masters and British Open for the next 3 years and automatic entry into this years US Open and PGA Championship.

something like that could really help a young guy get his career going the right way without having to worry about keeping his tour card and all that stuff.

This is why that final scene from "Tin Cup" is so dumb.

Rene Russo says something along the lines of "Nobody is going to remember who won, but they're going to remember that 17 for years. I'm so proud of you." Yeah, right. Not only did he give away more than a million dollars, but a 5-year-exemption plus invitations to the Masters and Open Championship.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the movie, but that's why it's Hollywood.

Of course you do, I'm not saying he needed to lag it 2 feet short. If he had to do it over again I'm going to guess he would have run it 5 feet by. Oh, and hello! :D

I think you may have missed my Herm Edwards reference.

Sergio had an even more expensive hole yesterday. No putter though, it was his PW that cost him at least $800,000 and maybe $1.5 million.

He had a chance to tie. In that situation, you don't play for second. You try to make the putt.

Agreed. You play the game to win. How many times in his career will he have the opportunity to try and take down the best player in the world? Probably not many.

Back