Cleveland 588 Altitude Hybrid Irons Preview

I don't have too much to update, but I did want to make the obligatory "my clubs arrived!" post and make a quick plug - as long as no one minds - for a shop I continue to have nothing but huge success with...

I managed to win an eBay auction from 3balls.com for a set of Altitudes (regular graphite shafts; 4-DW). Got what I thought at the time was a pretty good deal on a "like new" set that would scratch two itches in terms of wanting to try out some new tech for my game: hybrid irons and graphite shafts. Well, the clubs arrived on Saturday (unfortunately in the middle of a rainy day), but when I opened them, I realized that my good deal was actually pretty fantastic. All the clubs still had the plastic wrappers on the grips and every iron head (except for the 7 iron) had the plastic on as well. Even the 7 iron had absolutely no marks on the face and looks like it may have been swung and hit a carpeted shop floor once (just had the smallest little mark on the sole). On top of that, the shop is local and while I had to pay shipping through eBay (you don't on their website for orders more that 100 bucks), I won the auction at 8:00 or so on Thursday night; clubs shipped Friday; arrived with Saturday delivery.

All in all another fantasic experience. Can't wait to get the clubs on the course for a few holes (or at least the range) after work today.

Just a quick update this morning. I'll post some more detailed thoughts as I get some more time in with the clubs...

I hurried over to the course last night after work and managed to sneak in nine holes. There had been an outing at the course earlier in the day, so the set up I was facing (at least as far as tee position-wise) was pretty generous - most everything playing up. That being said, without a range session I shot a pretty easy 42 (I'm about a 16 index - 18/19 cap - right now).

The things I noticed last night about these clubs (in no particular order)...

- In the stock graphite (regular flex), maybe a touch soft, but respond very well to a nice smooth swing (something I am working on still). It will definitely take a little time to get used to the lighter weight. Hoping that the regular flex isn't too soft.
- Seemingly effortless distance. Sure, they're probably not the longest clubs I've ever had in the bag, but to get the same distance I am used to with a nice easy swing is something that should prove pretty interesting as time wears on.
- In my opinion (for what I'm looking for, at least), these are surprisingly workable. Could definitely play both a little draw and a little fade. Interesting that even with how forgiving they are, the little offset (even compared to some GI irons) actually allow you to do quite a bit with hybrid irons.
- Struggled a little bit with the shorter irons/wedges (9, PW, DW). The weight of these clubs and the graphite shafts will probably take the most getting used to here.

Hoping to get back out for nine more or a range session tonight. Will certainly update as I get more familiar with these irons.

My Morgan Cup Bag includes 1 Altitude in my 588 Combo Set.

588%20Irons-22-M.jpg

588%20Irons-23-M.jpg

588%20Irons-24-M.jpg

588%20Irons-25-M.jpg

588%20Irons-30-L.jpg

Great looking setup! With the stronger lofts on most irons today, I think the 5 hybrid is an excellent choice.

Great looking setup! With the stronger lofts on most irons today, I think the 5 hybrid is an excellent choice.

Thanks. The 5i is something I've never really hit super consistently so I'm hoping that having a little help there will pay off.

Snuck in another quick nine holes after work yesterday evening. Felt like I was actually hitting these irons a little better the second time out (which I guess stands to reason) - still need to put in a good solid range session I think to just get a feel for what they respond best to in terms of a swing. Hopfully that'll come later this week.

Couple of update/additions to my earlier thoughts...

- These clubs are light. This may seem like an obvious statement, but coming from steel shafts to these in the 55g graphite is quite a change in terms of feel. After last night's round, I am thinking this might be the biggest thing to get used to here. I am also starting to think my inital thoughts about the shafts being a little soft might be more a weight change issue - seems to be more a feeling of losing the clubhead a little bit.

Question for those of you who are using these out there: has anyone experimented with lead tape, etc. on these to bring the swing weight up? If so, how has that worked? And also, where are you finding the most success in terms of placement on the head?

- Distance is still good; forgiveness is very good. Again, not super long (though, I am not the longest hitter to begin with), but consistantly long - even on not so great hits. Couple of examples - good vs. bad: 179 with about a 3-4 yard downhill approach into the first green with the pin in the back - nice smooth 6 iron to the center of the green [Good hit example]; 2nd shot on a long par five, just trying to hit a layup to about 100 yards with a 5 iron (about 280 or so to the green) - got quick, hit a lower hooking shot but ended up just off the fairway on the left with about 125-130 to the green [Bad hit example].

Hope to get back to the course/range with this once more this week. Two rounds scheduled for the weekend, so should have a better idea of where I stand with these after 36 holes. Will be sure to keep updating here as I have more thoughts and can post some full round details.

For those of you who played steel shafts in your prior set but are playing graphite in the Altitudes--are you playing the same flex in the graphite?

For those of you who played steel shafts in your prior set but are playing graphite in the Altitudes--are you playing the same flex in the graphite?

Yes I am.

Im thinking about putting a 3 and 4 possibly 5 Alitiude into the mix with my CG16's. I'm playing the traction 85 regular steel shaft. Thinking I will get these in steel as well or do you think graphite might make more sense?

Im thinking about putting a 3 and 4 possibly 5 Alitiude into the mix with my CG16's. I'm playing the traction 85 regular steel shaft. Thinking I will get these in steel as well or do you think graphite might make more sense?

Up to you really. I liked the graphite, but I do prefer graphite in my hybrids and play these as such.

Trying to get Canadan to talk me out of these. He is not helping.

"I launch the hell out of these things"

"They are hard to not hit straight"

That's the best he can muster. 2 things I am looking for! HAHA I am going to try to hit them this weekend. I am thinking either a 5 or 6 would do the trick.

That's the best he can muster. 2 things I am looking for! HAHA I am going to try to hit them this weekend. I am thinking 4-PW would do the trick.

Fify..

I just bought new irons 2 months ago. My wife would murder me, then divorce my dead body. Haha

That's the best he can muster. 2 things I am looking for! HAHA I am going to try to hit them this weekend. I am thinking either a 5 or 6 would do the trick.

Only way I would buy these is if I was interested in lower scores

Ive hit them 4-5 different times now and its "almost" impossible to hit a bad shot with them. I managed to do it once but it took me almost whiffing to do so

I wish I would have hit JB's in AC. Next person I find that is playing them I am going to hit them.

Maiden voyage for the combo set today.
Things weren't pretty so far for me and the altitude 5i. I didn't have a great swing today so I'm going to hold other judgement for a few weeks.

That's not a bad way to go about it dhill. One thing I've learned after a couple years of reviewing is that my first couple outings with something aren't always a good indicator of my long-term feelings. I can think of a bunch of things that I liked quite a bit in the end that I was not happy with for the first couple weeks.

That's not a bad way to go about it dhill. One thing I've learned after a couple years of reviewing is that my first couple outings with something aren't always a good indicator of my long-term feelings. I can think of a bunch of things that I liked quite a bit in the end that I was not happy with for the first couple weeks.

Good to know man.
I think that sometimes a little patience goes a long way. There have been times where I loved something as soon as I hit it and then after a bit it wasn't quite what I thought it was.

I'm looking forward to some more time with all the 588 irons

Picked up some of the sticky tungsten squares (http://www.golfgalaxy.com/SS12GWRUB...87_GooglePLA&gclid=CPLh97fjmrcCFSpnOgodTXsAKQ) last night to experiment with adding a little weight to these and see if I can get the feel more to my liking with the lighter shafts.

Anyone have any experience with these (or other lead tape) on these clubs? They're just feeling a little light to me in the swing and I think my contact is suffering from "losing" the club and then getting a little handsy at impact.

I had one on a driver last year, but can't help you with the Altitudes.

I had one on a driver last year, but can't help you with the Altitudes.

I'm guessing the answer is no, but did you notice anything different between these weights and the "normal" lead tape strips? I actually only ended up with these because they were the only option at the shop I went to last night.

Not at all. I've got tape on my driver right now.

Hi fellow hackers, my first post here. Anyway the Cleveland Altitudes...... WOW! I'm totally sold

I went to a Cleveland demo day today to have a hit with my eye on the TT 588's but I was so impressed by the Altitudes I'm going to get them instead.

The Pros(as I see them): Smooth feel, I used the Reg flex in graphite(I usually use stiff) and I was blown away by the feel.

: long, solid, high. I fell in love after about hit number 5 and went on to hit another 50 balls and ALL bar 2 were great shots.

: Shaping and working. I'm not great at this part of the game but I felt as though I could control my ball in a predictable easy way.....awesome!

:Easy, forgiving shots. Just as reference my current clubs are G15's and the Altitudes made them feel stiff, unresponsive, short, and..........yuk!

The cons: There must be something that "players" clubs do that allow the operator to play better golf........I don't know what that is, and I'm not that good a player to appreciate it maybe but wow I'm impressed with these sticks!

PS anybody wanna buy some good g15's???:act-up:

Welcome logman. It seems as though these irons are continuing to impress for a lot of people.

Got to put in a quick range session last night after work before the Bruins game. Spent about 30 minutes or so just hitting these and working with getting the weight where I want it with some tungsten tape.

Not the best night at the range I've ever had - a little all over the place - but I guess that's to be expected a little bit with a new set and some tinkering.

I did notice that my ball striking was improving after moving a little further away from the ball - perhaps a product of the longer shafts in these with the graphite than what I'm used to. Also, I'm struggling a little bit with ball position right now, but it's something I'm working on, so hopefully with a few rounds on the books for this weekend, I can get that ironed out.

Couple of comments on the irons themselves: first, I am still shocked at how "workable" these are for a set of hybrid irons. Again, I think it's the modest offset that allows both a fade and a draw to be hit. Second, the more I thought about my range time last night, the more I was impressed with the performance of the clubs. I left thinking how bad my ball striking was and was trying to focus on the better shots I was hitting towards the end but as it sunk in a little more I was realizing that the bad shots I was hitting weren't nearly as bad as bad shots I've hit with other sets...there's the forgiveness coming through for you.

Can't wait to get these on the course tomorrow and get a little more acquainted with everything they can do. Really hoping this is the set for me.

Back