Official Equipment Pondering Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tend to lean towards having more wedges. The only time I run into having a gap with the woods/long irons is on par 5 but that is not too often.

I agree, except I feel like I just end up confusing myself when I use a bunch of wedges. Even thought I have 3 in the bag now, inside of 100 I use the 56 90* of the time.

That 3deep is interesting. But with my high lofted driver, I would be piggybacking a little bit.

3 woods seem to be pushing into driver distance territories so it makes gapping interesting. I would go with the 14.5. Windy conditions are a bit of a nightmare for me.

I agree, except I feel like I just end up confusing myself when I use a bunch of wedges. Even thought I have 3 in the bag now, inside of 100 I use the 56 90* of the time.

If you are comfortable using the 56* for that many shots, then having a 60* might not make much sense.

I am the opposite. I use my 60 for most of my shots around the green. Rarely my 54. I find that I am either using my 60 or UW.

3 woods seem to be pushing into driver distance territories so it makes gapping interesting. I would go with the 14.5. Windy conditions are a bit of a nightmare for me.

The 3deep wasn't very easy for me off of the mat in a sim when I tried it. And when I did make good enough contact, it didn't do any better than my RFE 3w

The 3deep wasn't very easy for me off of the mat in a sim when I tried it. And when I did make good enough contact, it didn't do any better than my RFE 3w

I should have also added the RFE to the pondering list. I really liked the Trinity shaft in the driver when I did a fitting so I imagine I would get along with it in the 3 wood as well.

I should have also added the RFE to the pondering list. I really liked the Trinity shaft in the driver when I did a fitting so I imagine I would get along with it in the 3 wood as well.

I loved the RFE head. But didn't love the Trinity. I fixed that. But love that club!

I'm pondering driver thunderdome 2013!

If you are comfortable using the 56* for that many shots, then having a 60* might not make much sense.

I am the opposite. I use my 60 for most of my shots around the green. Rarely my 54. I find that I am either using my 60 or UW.

The 60 is absolutely unnecessary. If the XHP's had a more traditional PW I would definitely be going with 2 wedges. If it was 47* I could go with 52/57 and that would work well for me. But with the PW being 45*, I suspect I will see 145 or more out of it, meaning I will definitey need a 50 or probably even 49* wedge. Meaning I would probably need a 54 or 55 as my next step. That might be a bit low as my only option around the greens. 49/54/58 might be my best option, making me keep only 1 wood in the bag.

I'm biased, but I'm a fan of the 50(or 49)/54/58 setup Wake.

I'm biased, but I'm a fan of the 50(or 49)/54/58 setup Wake.

I think I need to go that setup, I suspect I would use the 54 alot for full swings. And I think it could be a great setup if I would fully implement Pelz's method, but as of now I think I will once again use either the 54 or 58 once I get inside 90.

I think I need to go that setup, I suspect I would use the 54 alot for full swings. And I think it could be a great setup if I would fully implement Pelz's method, but as of now I think I will once again use either the 54 or 58 once I get inside 90.

That's what I do, my 54 is still a full swing club, the 58 is that inside 95 or so and around the green club for me. In really need to start trusting the 50/54 1/2 or 3/4 swings into greens instead if always going a full club. That's a summer project for me.

Switching to that setup has been great. I find that I use the 58 for full shots now more than I ever thought about using the 60.

I'm pondering driver thunderdome 2013!

I know which driver won't be in the dome, so it won't have a chance to win. And that makes me sad.

I'm most likely going to switch to 50/54/58 as well. I've always used my 60* around the greens and from 75 and in, so I thought of going 50/54/60 but I think 58 would replace that just fine.

I know which driver won't be in the dome, so it won't have a chance to win. And that makes me sad.

Damn skippy it won't, no way no how.

I hope you pull a muscle.

It's not my fault it's an extremely blah driver for me, I definitely wasn't alone in the sentiment at demo day.

It's not my fault it's an extremely blah driver for me, I definitely wasn't alone in the sentiment at demo day.

I know. I'm just surprised that many people can be wrong in one place :alien:

Was the 913d at the demo day?

I know. I'm just surprised that many people can be wrong in one place :alien:

Was the 913d at the demo day?

Yep, I didn't hit it though b/c it's no better than the 910 in my experiences with it already.

Yep, I didn't hit it though b/c it's no better than the 910 in my experiences with it already.

For your thunderdome, it's only drivers that you can get adapter for?

For your thunderdome, it's only drivers that you can get adapter for?

Nah, it's just my 3 favorite heads this year. Adapters do play a role though, obviously as I want to easily be able to review shafts for the frontpage and not have to mess with full pulls all the time anymore. Conveniently I have adapters for the three.

Xhot, classic custom, and rfe?

That's what I do, my 54 is still a full swing club, the 58 is that inside 95 or so and around the green club for me. In really need to start trusting the 50/54 1/2 or 3/4 swings into greens instead if always going a full club. That's a summer project for me.

If you don't want to hit a bunch of 1/2 or 3/4 shots, work on just choking down on your wedges a little bit. I'm awful at 1/2 and 3/4 shots, I've gone to choking down on my wedges to take distance off with a full swing.

Still pondering a range finder and am having a tough time deciding on which one. I also keep finding myself peeking over at some Bettinardi putters...it would be the first time I've ever pondered a putter.

Pondering GPS watches. Reread Hawks review and think I would like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back