The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
On course bunker practice

7yzusydu.jpg

5aqurasy.jpg

Nice going Dean!!! Now try to stay out of the bunkers in the first place!!!!

All for practice. You should try it sometime, you'd be amazed at what it could do to your game hehe

Hour putting, hour hitting balls, and then walked a short nine hole course and played 4-5 balls from different spots. Good times.

Hour putting, hour hitting balls, and then walked a short nine hole course and played 4-5 balls from different spots. Good times.

Why must you be all the way in Illinois?

What do you mean? Just a short drive!

What do you mean? Just a short drive!

It would be a 10hr drive well worth it, no doubt.

My wife is now glaring at me again. Haha

She can come. She's got baby fever right? I have a great thing going on here if you're into that :)

She can come. She's got baby fever right? I have a great thing going on here if you're into that :)

Not going to ask...

Quick Summary of my lesson. This is what my pro told me. "Grip looks good, setup looks good, ball position is good, your aim is really good. Takeaway is much improved from the last lesson. However once you get that club past hip high your swing is all f'd up." Yup that's what I'm dealing with. Hit roughly 110 balls tonight, and I didn't hit back to back good shots until there was less than 10 balls left in the bucket. I'm just struggling and it's really sucking the enjoyment out of this game.

Nice bunker grouping ddec. I'm one of those guys that will avoid bunkers, even if it means laying up to avoid that distance. Guess I know what I can work on.

I've gone to one GolfTEC session and suddenly all I can think about is getting onto the range. Like, it won't leave my mind!! I just saw such wonderful instant results that I'm suddenly super, super excited. If I'm this excited after just a swing evaluation, I wonder what I'll be like after my 6 month session??

i know exactly what you mean! I've been taking Golftec lessons since the end of March and now that it's finally warm all I want to do is go to the range and work on my homework.

It's starting to click - Durning my lesson on Sunday, my instructor had me increase my shoulder rotation, which wasn't something I fully understood when Freddy tried to very patiently explain it to me at The Outing. It took the visual feedback and the shoulder turn measurement on screen for me to really get it. I went to the range that night and hit a couple of those crappy range balls further than I ever have. My jaw fell to the deck - I was totally amazed! .

If/when you start lessons check to see if you can schedule a half hour practice with the monitor right afterward. It makes a big difference.

It would be a 10hr drive well worth it, no doubt.

My wife is now glaring at me again. Haha

Pick me up and I'll drive the second half. :)

Quick Summary of my lesson. This is what my pro told me. "Grip looks good, setup looks good, ball position is good, your aim is really good. Takeaway is much improved from the last lesson. However once you get that club past hip high your swing is all f'd up." Yup that's what I'm dealing with. Hit roughly 110 balls tonight, and I didn't hit back to back good shots until there was less than 10 balls left in the bucket. I'm just struggling and it's really sucking the enjoyment out of this game.

Looks like you and I can ride around in the same cart and let War and Jake shoot low. I'm struggling with everything right now. My grip is so awful that I have blisters all over both hands. Not sure how that happened. I can't seem to hit any shots solidly.

I've been swinging the club much better as of late.
Then tonight what did I do? I started messing with things, experimenting.

Experiment = Fail

Will get back to basics and get it back Thursday. Also have a lesson Thursday. Looking forward to that.

The one thing that did make sense is a tip Freddie gave me today on starting to groove a good driver swing, not sure why I didn't let that carry into the other clubs. Tomorrow is a new day.

Sounds like you better go back next week ddec. Stick with it dude!

I practiced for 90 minutes after work. Hour on the range and 30 minutes putting. Had my moments, good and bad. It was a windy bastard out there, so not a night that I left feeling all that beastly. Irons were pretty good. Hyrons were really good.

Scheduled a lesson for Monday since I have three in the bucket.

had follow-up lesson and moving onto working my lower body movement. seems i lack a bit of an initial hip slide prior to my downswing (and if anything i'm sliding back into a bad position). so something to work on for the next few weeks.

The last few weeks I have not been happy with my game and as you can imagine, this also coincided with the time I have put the least amount of effort into my game. I had been reviewing some of my favorite videos from Shawn Clement and started to diagnose what my issues were.

So I finally got out for a range session this morning and really took my time with each shot. I purchased a medium bucket and headed to the chipping area where I practiced exclusively with my 56° and 60°, hitting different shots from between 10-65 yards. After I got warmed up with that I went to the full range. After hitting a dozen or so irons to get the feel I started hitting my 4 wood as its one of my favorite clubs. I generally play a little fade with it but have been working hard to add a little draw to the repertoire. After a few tweaks I was hitting my 4 wood at will and as the club tends to do, was just cutting through the wind.

So I switched over to driver and for the first 10 swings was having a miserable time. Then I tried something that I had success with in the past. I set up for my draw and placed the club head about 6-8 inches behind the ball with the face slightly closed. Keeping my eye on the ball and focusing on firing through my target, I started piping tight little draws deep down the middle. Then I set up for my fade and was hitting a nice controllable fade that was fighting the R-L wind.

In all it was a very agreeable session and got me very excited about Saturday's round. Hope everyone is getting dialed in and reaping the rewards of their hard work!

Haven't been since the Outing in Florida and honestly haven't had time and I'm starting to have withdrawls...lol

had a great short game lesson today.... worked on my pitching, sand shots and putting..... got a lot of little pointers on everything got some work to do with my putting to change a little bit. but bought a aid to help with it so i'm looking forward to start my practicing with that to get it fixed quickly and get the new stroke down before july.

Went to the range tonight before my golftec lesson. The inconsistency in my ball striking was driving me crazy. Only to find out later at my lesson that I've been demoted to 3/4 swings to focus on my club face at the top. I've had it too open at the top causing way to my wrist action at impact. This is going to get interesting to say the least. So more of a wrist set at the top, and keep them quiet through the ball. Ensuring a good shaft lean through the ball while maintaining a good inside out swing path.

Went to the range tonight before my golftec lesson. The inconsistency in my ball striking was driving me crazy. Only to find out later at my lesson that I've been demoted to 3/4 swings to focus on my club face at the top. I've had it too open at the top causing way to my wrist action at impact. This is going to get interesting to say the least. So more of a wrist set at the top, and keep them quiet through the ball. Ensuring a good shaft lean through the ball while maintaining a good inside out swing path.

Sounds so familiar from when I was taking lessons! Shorten your swing, keep your club face square, bla bla bla. I would be on the range warming up and couldn't hit a thing. My instructor would walk by and say shorten your swing and it would be like magic.

Sounds so familiar from when I was taking lessons! Shorten your swing, keep your club face square, bla bla bla. I would be on the range warming up and couldn't hit a thing. My instructor would walk by and say shorten your swing and it would be like magic.
Exactly! Still hits that ego/pride nerve that some of us men have lol. It's crazy but hitting my 6 iron 3/4 doesn't really equate to 75 percent of the distance.... Hmm maybe there is something to this silly business. Time will tell

I seem to be hitting my all of my shorter irons the same distance. Anyone have a similar past experience? How did you correct it?

If ever I struggle with anything, I do exactly the same - shorten the swing ever so slightly and it works wonders

The only problem is actually remembering to do it.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back