Cleveland 588 MT Irons Preview Thread

Tour adoption is really something else. And then seeing amateurs alike being able to play the same club really does say something. I will eventually own a few most likely...but its tough when I love my set of hybrids I have now!

It is. I know GMac has the 5 iron, but is playing so well right now has not put it in the bag yet. How in the world can these guys look down at a thick topline? Crazy talk.

Well their playing for money so looks be damned. Only amateurs should care about looks and offset. :act-up:

It is. I know GMac has the 5 iron, but is playing so well right now has not put it in the bag yet. How in the world can these guys look down at a thick topline? Crazy talk.

too much offset

Maybe Ryan Moor should put some AT hybrids in his bag, +8 yesterday. He likes going against the grain...

Should've gotten the 4 Iron MT. SMH!!!

lol

Tour adoption is really something else. And then seeing amateurs alike being able to play the same club really does say something. I will eventually own a few most likely...but its tough when I love my set of hybrids I have now!

It is pretty amazing how many guys are rocking the MT's. I bet they are like, "where have these been my whole life" they are awesome

Steve Flesch, who is currently tied for sixth place at the Colonial has been tinkering with the 3, 4, and 5 irons. Not 100 percent certain what is in his bag for this tournament though.

Really couldn't do much with the MT's today. Struggled to put a decent swing on them when I got on the course, which was the opposite of what I saw warming up on the range. Probably the best shot I had was a case of pulling the wrong club. Just one club short on an uphill par 3 into the wind, but I'll know next time. Regardless, didn't really get myself in much trouble with the misses I made and still had a chance to get up and down.

Really couldn't do much with the MT's today. Struggled to put a decent swing on them when I got on the course, which was the opposite of what I saw warming up on the range. Probably the best shot I had was a case of pulling the wrong club. Just one club short on an uphill par 3 into the wind, but I'll know next time. Regardless, didn't really get myself in much trouble with the misses I made and still had a chance to get up and down.

Did we play the same round of golf today?
I was striping these and all my irons on the range but when I got onto the course I started sliding forward. (figured it out on the 15th hole and hit it much better after that)

What a silly game we play

That's hilarious and almost exactly what I had going on. Sucks because I really felt good on the range. That's golf though!

Good MT practice yesterday and left feeling better about myself afterwards. I'm certainly not lacking height with these irons, which was nice to see. That includes the 5 iron, which got some action off the tee and from both the fairway and rough.

These were my favorite irons at demo day in Orlando. Love em!

How do they feel compared to your XF's, Gray? I know I was surprised at how pleasant they felt at impact coming from the RocketBladez.

How do they feel compared to your XF's, Gray? I know I was surprised at how pleasant they felt at impact coming from the RocketBladez.

Good question and the MT irons feel very similar to my XF Cally's. The MT irons have that soft forged feel which I just love. Some irons are clicky and for me, that is a turn off. I love the soft yet powerful feel of the ball off the face of these irons. Really sweet set of irons.

I sort of expected to hear that based on what I've seen. I'd agree, very nice for an iron in this category.

I may or may not have sent Canadan a text during league play tonight about an MT shot I had off the tee.

I pulled the MT 6i on a Par 4, dogleg right. It's 200 yard to the turn, and usually an easy 5iron is the play. I was hitting my irons well, and about a club longer than usual, and I pulled a 6i here. Hit a perfect tee shot with the 6i, high (which isnt my normal flight with any club, and a small draw). One of the guys I was playing with asked if I hit a 4i, and I replied that it was my 6. He measured it out for me, but I already knew it was longer than anything I have hit on this hole. About 7 steps from the trees, measured out to 193 yards. Obviously, not all carry, as I got somewhat of a bounce forward.

One of the best long iron shots I have ever hit. Had me grinning, ear to ear.

I may or may not have sent Canadan a text during league play tonight about an MT shot I had off the tee.

I pulled the MT 6i on a Par 4, dogleg right. It's 200 yard to the turn, and usually an easy 5iron is the play. I was hitting my irons well, and about a club longer than usual, and I pulled a 6i here. Hit a perfect tee shot with the 6i, high (which isnt my normal flight with any club, and a small draw). One of the guys I was playing with asked if I hit a 4i, and I replied that it was my 6. He measured it out for me, but I already knew it was longer than anything I have hit on this hole. About 7 steps from the trees, measured out to 193 yards. Obviously, not all carry, as I got somewhat of a bounce forward.

One of the best long iron shots I have ever hit. Had me grinning, ear to ear.

So were you stripping them that well where you think you could get that distance consistently, or do you think you had a rocket shot ALA the Burner 2.0s?

Turning the ball over should definitely get you an extra club or so WE. Nice to hear that you're still playing these with confidence!

I've tried to devote a good chunk of my practice sessions this week to mid-irons and have high hopes that it'll pay off for the weekend. Over the last few weeks I've noticed that I'm adding loft somewhere. Contact was good at both sessions, but hard to gauge distances due to wind and lack of marked targets.

Good question and the MT irons feel very similar to my XF Cally's. The MT irons have that soft forged feel which I just love. Some irons are clicky and for me, that is a turn off. I love the soft yet powerful feel of the ball off the face of these irons. Really sweet set of irons.

The feel really is different than any hybrid-esque iron I've ever hit, very soft and solid. I have the MT 4 and am about to order the 3 as well. Might get them with the C.Kua 59 shaft - keep hearing great things about it.

I've had that thought at times imas. Let us know if you do because I'm very interested.

I've had that thought at times imas. Let us know if you do because I'm very interested.

Will do.

How do like the transition from the Altitude to the MT? That seems a lot more jarring than the MT / TT transition, which looks kind of seamless.

Will do.

How do like the transition from the Altitude to the MT? That seems a lot more jarring than the MT / TT transition, which looks kind of seamless.

Good question!

There is quite a bit of difference, especially from a visual standpoint when you look at the top line and wide sole. Face height and blade length are not that far off though. For me, the other real difference seems to be the change from lightweight graphite in the Altitudes to a steel shaft.

I will say that the Altitudes are on another level of playability with the longer clubs. To the point that it makes me wonder what having a 5 or even a 6 could do for a guy. Or, like you are talking about, having the MT's with the graphite shaft. Not that the MT's are difficult in any way to work with. I can get the ball elevated with no issues using them. The Alts are just that easy.

So were you stripping them that well where you think you could get that distance consistently, or do you think you had a rocket shot ALA the Burner 2.0s?
I dont think it was a rocket, but it was definitely a bit longer. It was off a tee, and I hit it about as flush as I can possibly hit it. Plus, I would think getting it a bit right to left will lend me to get a few extra yards, which was the case with the bounce forward I got. It wasnt something that would lead me to believe I will be pulling a 6iron when I need 190 yards, by any means.
Turning the ball over should definitely get you an extra club or so WE. Nice to hear that you're still playing these with confidence!

I've tried to devote a good chunk of my practice sessions this week to mid-irons and have high hopes that it'll pay off for the weekend. Over the last few weeks I've noticed that I'm adding loft somewhere. Contact was good at both sessions, but hard to gauge distances due to wind and lack of marked targets.
Thanks dude.

Back