Pick Your Ideal Scramble Team

Nate

My Friends Call Me Big Time
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Playing in a charity scramble tomorrow and it got me thinking today, if I could pick my ideal scramble partners to play with, who would give my team the best chance in doing well and what type of players would I be looking for? Here are the choices of players you would have to choose from:

A. Driver Dan - Dan can hit it a mile but accuracy comes and goes. You would end up using about half of his drives on the day. Doesn't have a great short game but can come up with a chip or putt from time to time.

B. Putter Paul - Paul is deadly from inside 10 feet. Pretty accurate outside 10 feet but falls back with the rest of the group at this range. Has no long game and is usually hitting 2-3 clubs more than everyone else on shots.

C. Steady Steve - Steve is not flashy or dashy but is pretty steady in his round of golf. Don't count on him if there is pressure to do something but is great in the 1st-3rd slot in a scramble rotation. Contributes but it comes and goes throughout the round.

D. Ginger - Hello red tee box! Ginger played high school golf but now plays 4-5 times a year. She has a pretty swing and can get off the tee and is a pretty good putter. No chipping or mid game skills though.

E. Clutch Chris - This guy is no where to be found till it's clutch time. He needs a challenge to get motivated and usually pulls through when everyone is in trouble. Not going to get a great shot from Chris but he will bail you out and save you most times.

F. Beer Bob - Bob likes to have a good time and drink beers on the course. He will make everyone laugh on the course and there is no tension in his body. He contributes early and often but then the beer catches up to him and is no where to be seen for the last 7 holes.

G. Wedge Willy - Willy is deadly inside 100 yards. Pretty good putter inside 10 feet. But long game is erratic and can not be trusted with the 6 iron through fairway woods. Pretty good on lag putts.

Now we all know scrambles are for fun and usually for a great cause but let's say the top prize is a trip to Hawaii. Now who would you pick to join you on your team? Take into account what your strength is (and tell us) and who your other 3 players would be and why. No handicaps here. You can pick multiple players from each type, for example 2 Wedge Willy's, to be in your 4.

So let's hear how you would built your scramble team from the list above and why?!

Pick Your Ideal Scramble Team

Oddly enough, you literally described me to a T with the "Ginger" guy Nate, except that I play more. I'm even a ginger. Lol.

I'd take Dan for getting off the tee, Willy for second shots (becuse Dan bombs it), and Bob so we could have a good time. My group also gets Ginger by default because that's me.

Oddly enough, you literally described me to a T with the "Ginger" guy Nate, except that I play more. I'm even a ginger. Lol.

I'd take Dan for getting off the tee, Willy for second shots (becuse Dan bombs it), and Bob so we could have a good time. My group also gets Ginger by default because that's me.
Now Ginger is a female Dam...........you do not get to hit off the red tees!

Now Ginger is a female Dam...........you do not get to hit off the red tees!

Please? I'll wear a wig and I bet I'd look as good or better than Cookie wearing women's clothes.

myself (good off the tee) ... wedge willy and 2 putter pauls.... putting always is the way to go low in any scramble.... the great equalizer.

Dan, Willy (great wedge player so he doesn't have to make long putts), and Chris. However, there isn't a spot who really satisfies the 100-200yd range. I get off the tee ok, and am super solid with wedges, combine a long hitter, a guy who's solid from 100-200 and a great putter and we'd be set.

Myself - Decent off the tee and have been very consistant with my drives, mid game is getting stronger, my wedge and putting absolutely sucks.

Driver Dan - I dig the idea that he will occasionally bomb one out there and I could see that being a huge Benefit.
I love the fact that he has the ability to come up with a put or two, combined with Wedge willy and ginger I don't see any putts being a problem at all.

Ginger - I see alot of consistancy here with her off the tee, she will mainly be used to round out the putting. I'm not worried about her mid-game. Because between all of our drives we will be inside 200 yards on even the longest holes with no problem and we can clean that up between 4 of us.

Wedge Willy - Love the idea of the 100 yard in guy, everyone needs one of these.

Last edited:
Me (tee, some clutch), Paul, Willy and Chris.

The tougher choice would be a THPer scramble

I would take myself (good off the tee and putting), Steve, Willy, and Paul. Seems like we will always be where we need to be and hopefully Paul can sink those close putts thanks to Willy to get that low score.

I think Ginger gets selected on my team...for sure.

I'll take Dan Paul and Chris

THPing on Tapatalk

I played in a scramble yesterday - I think we all were Beer Bob's.

Lets see.,..I will take Driver Dan, Steady Steve, Wedge Willy and I will play the role of Putter Paul

The closest that is me I would say is C (Steady) having said that i would take A (driver) ,B(Putter) , and G (wedge-short game) to round out my team.

I'd take Wedge Willy, Putter Paul, and Driver Dan to round out my team.

Got to have Putter Paul and Wedge Willy for the scoring game, Driver Dan for the bombs on half of the holes and I would fill the role of Steady Steve by keeping drives in play and with some fairly good contributions.

Edit - looks like JN and I have the same line up. lol

Got to have Putter Paul and Wedge Willy for the scoring game, Driver Dan for the bombs on half of the holes and I would fill the role of Steady Steve by keeping drives in play and with some fairly good contributions.

Edit - looks like JN and I have the same line up. lol

TBT and I had the same as this also...LOL

No one else wants to play? Great thoughts so far!

I like my game off the tee box so give me 1 Willy and 2 Pauls.

Easy. Assuming I have to be on the team, I pick a long driver, a great putter, and a great iron/wedge player. Long driver always tees off first so he can always go for it. Otherwise no particular order beyond great putter always last to putt.

This is a no brainer, I would take 3 Ginger's, especially if they were all good looking and single. Then I would take all of them to Hawaii and have a good time! On a serious note, I would still take all 3 Ginger's! Lol.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

This is a no brainer, I would take 3 Ginger's, especially if they were all good looking and single. Then I would take all of them to Hawaii and have a good time! On a serious note, I would still take all 3 Ginger's! Lol.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

And here I thought you would pick me....

And here I thought you would pick me....

Well if you are better looking than the Ginger's, then yes I would pick you. Lol. No seriously I would take a Ginger, a Willy and a Paul.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Back