Choking up on a wedge

Germerican

AngryYankee
Reaction score
Handicap
23.8 USGA
This past weekend I was working with my 56 and 60 wedges out of various, distances, obstacles, and sand traps. I found that the closer I was to the hole while on the grass, I would choke up. I noticed that it got to a point to where my right hand was so far down the shaft that only my pinky was on the grip. This wasn't a bad thing as I became more accurate with my lines. It worked well with both a partial swing and chip ins.

Anyone else do something like this, or am I the odd guy? And if so, how did it work out for you?

I choke down on wedges all the time.

I choke down all the time. Choking down gives you more control on those delicate shots around the green.

I always choke down. I've never chocked down as far as having my hands on the metal shaft, as you described however.

Choking down gives more control, and also can increase your speed through the ball, which can increase spin.

Always choke down on wedges at a short distance. As Mulligan said, it gives better control around the green.

I almost never play my wedges at full length, almost always choking up to some degree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think Hawk did a review on wedge grips that are longer than normal just for this. I did a bunch of searching and couldn't find the thread or the review.

I think Hawk did a review on wedge grips that are longer than normal just for this. I did a bunch of searching and couldn't find the thread or the review.

It's in this review >>> http://www.thehackersparadise.com/?p=15655

I really liked that grip. Would still be using it if the cutaway on theTour Concept shafts didn't make them tough to install.

I have never gotten comfortable choking up on a wedge. I usually do the half/three-quarter swing with no choke. It is definitely something I plan to work on in the future.

Thank you Hawk!

a buddy suggested this to me and it helped my short game quite a bit, now just have to be more confident with my shots and get a solid short game together

My scors came with these. I love them. It's so nice being able to choke down to the same spots every time.

my ATV's have them as well

I choke down a lot. Anything under 50 yards my hands are at the bottom of the grip.

Choking down on a wedge is something that I do when the shot requires it. I would recommend pretty much every golfers learns this.

Well now, I didn't expect this to be that common. Guess I am doing the right thing. Before my practice session I have been using the entire length of the club and have overshot so many times and my line was off.

I use it to pull off yards, get more club on the ball if it's propped up in the rough, deal with lies above my feet, etc. Gotta watch out for thins if you choke down too much.

I choke down a little bit quite often. I never get close to the end of the grip unless I'm chipping, but I'm always choking down a little bit.

I use it to pull off yards, get more club on the ball if it's propped up in the rough, deal with lies above my feet, etc. Gotta watch out for thins if you choke down too much.

I do the same. Whenever I want to take 5-10 yards off and still take a full swing, I just choke down an inch or so.

Like many, I basically choke down on anything under 60 yards or so, especially on short delicte chip shots.

I choke down all the time. Choking down gives you more control on those delicate shots around the green.

I agree. If it works, it works........

I choke down all the time based on the distance I have as I get closer to the hole.

Funny I remember a DOTCOM video on this not long back!

Yep...choke down on wedges all the time depending on distance and wind.

Back