PinHunter

Reaction score
Handicap
Right now I am playing scratch sb-1 with stiff Kbs tour shafts.

have a chance to pick up some used 710 ap2 with project x 7.0 shafts.

I hit the ball pretty high with the Kbs.

My 6 iron SS is 88mph

driver is 117 mph

am I going to notice a big difference with the x-stiff?

the ap2's are a good deal that is why I am asking

PX 7.0's are STOUT. My 6 iron SS is a few ticks higher than yours and I wouldn't dream of going to 7.0s.

My 6 iron SS is 88mph

driver is 117 mph

Project X 6.5 is considered X-stiff, so Project X 7.0 is going to be pretty stout and significantly stiffer than what you are playing right now. Stiffer shafts usually mean a lower ballflight, but it would be a big jump in stiffness. Also, this is just my opinion, but KBS Tour shafts feel a lot smoother than Project X shafts.

FWIW, the spread between your 6i swing speed and driver swing speed is pretty big. My 6 iron is 86 mph or so, and my driver is 103-104 mph. You may swing your 6i faster than 88 if your driver swing speed is really 117 mph.

I have a 96 mph 7 iron swing speed and was playing AP2's with Project X 6.5 shafts. The 6.5's were very stiff, I would have never gone to 7.0. The 6.5's were quite a bit lower then the KBS C-tapers that I am currently playing.

Hmm ok maybe to stiff then lol.

They had the stat thing on the simulator set so fast that's barley had time to see my SS or launch angle. Was hitting the 6iron 220 on the golf town sim though with this years 712 ap2 with the s300 in them

The only player that I know that played 7.0's is Gary Woodland.

Just to put it in perspective for you.

He is a Monster!!!

I played 6.5's in a set of irons for 6 years or so when my 6 iron swing speed was about 86-88. It really depends on how you load the shaft, but I would suggest hitting a 7.0 shaft outside so you can watch the ball flight and get a feel for the shaft. I could never go back to any shaft after playing the KBS Tours - they all feel harsh, IMO.

I'm pretty sure Rory did too. Not sure if he still does.

I'm pretty sure Rory did too. Not sure if he still does.

I thought so to. But last night I found 6.5

The only way to know is to hit them. Without knowing what kind of prep work the pros do to their shafts, it's hard to cite what they are using.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk 2

Rory does play the 7.0s. The problem with Project X shafts is if they aren't the precise right flex for you, they will feel really harsh. I suggest you go check out the Mizuno shaft optimzer and see what your results are. My 6 iron SS is 94mph and it recommended Px 6.5 so I can't imagine the 7.0s would work for you.

7.0s are super x stiff. I wouldnt know anyone who would hit that. Even if you have the SS for it that would be tough to justify

7.0 to me feel like Rebar they make my x100 look weak

I played 7.0 in a set of 710 cb. The main difference I noticed with them over 6.5's was my dispersion was a little tighter, but I had problems loading the shafts consistently. I really had to take full swings on every shot and they just didn't work for me. Maybe with a heavier head like the AP2 it may have worked better, but they are not for everyone. Just switched over to recoils in X and I am much happier. Driver SS is around 122-125, but not sure about 6i. Haven't been on a launch monitor yet with my irons.

Nothing new to add, but to support others' comments I've got a 115 mph driver SS and about 95 mph 6 iron swing and I'd never dream of playing 7.0s. I have a 6.5 in my driver, and am going to 6.0s in the Project X PXi in my new irons. Even 6.5 was a lot.

How good is the deal? would it be worth the cost of pulling the shafts from your current irons and putting them in the new ones?

Cabrera, and I thought Phil for a little while

Cabrera, and I thought Phil for a little while

As did Rory. Went from 6.5 to 7.0 in his 712 mbs. Not sure what he is using now with Nike.

My 6 iron SS is 88mph

driver is 117 mph

7.0 PX are like boards, just rock hard. My 6 iron SS is 96-98 and I only dream of being able to play 7.0's. KBS Tours will launch the ball higher than PX will in my experience. I much prefer the feel of KBS Tours though, I would take that into account. PX felt much firmer than KBS tours and C-Tapers to me. My guess is you would really struggle to hit the 7.0s, I know I would...

You will feel a huge difference. My guess is low right shots are in your future if you go with the AP2

You will never know unless you try them. If you can play them a time or two your questions should be answered.

I was playing KBS tours last year in the stiff + flex and made the switch to PX this year. First I tried the 7.0 which actually worked well for me in the longer irons but as soon as I tried hitting a shorter iron with a smoother swing my spin rates went to hell. I put 6.5's in and they worked well for me as far as PX's go. 7.0's are very very stout. My suggestion if you're hitting the KBS tour stiff flexes too high would be to go to the KBS tour x-stiff or DG x-100's (which i just went back to). My 6i ss averaged to 94.2 mph this spring when I was getting fitted and I've got a moderate tempo.

From memory the KBS C Taper X flex shafts are around about 7.0 ? I ordered a set od Adams CMB with them and my swing numbers are very close to yours, 6 iron SS is 92-94mph, driver SS is about 117-120mph. I could not load the shaft consistently at all and they felt like swinging rebar. I sent them back and am waiting for a set of Cobra Amp Cell Pro irons fitted with KBS Tour S+ shafts which were recommended after using the Mizuno Shaft Optimizer. Moral of the story, those 7.0 shafts are gonna be stout as hell !

Our club pro (Stephen Fasano) is the only person I know that plays 7.0s in his irons. He has rocketbladez tours, and while I've never seen him hit his irons, he hit a shot from about 280 out iwth my dads regular flex rocketballz 3 wood that flew the green. So if I had to take a guess, he hits his 6 iron somewhere around 240. PX 7.0s are like swinging the bench press bar at the gym if you don't have the right swing speed. Better to find somewhere to try them first instead of wasting your money on a blind purchase.

Back