Your take on limiting technology in a golf ball?

Please explain to me how this wedge beat any rule or even skirted any rule? It was released before the groove rule change.

Please explain to me how this wedge beat any rule or even skirted any rule? It was released before the groove rule change.

Sorry not beat, just made illegal by new rules.

Sorry not beat, just made illegal by new rules.

Well for us open qualifications. I can still use it and play in any amateur event.

Well for us open qualifications. I can still use it and play in any amateur event.

I have both a 56 and a 60 as well. I think they are legal for us amateurs till we die! LOL

Jon Daly, Tim Herron, Carl Pettersen, or even Phil are less than in shape.

Check out photos of Phil in 04 vs now. He may not be cut, but he's packed on a bit of muscle. Noticeably in the arms

It should be like tennis - when the pro's arrive, issue them a sleeve of golf balls that must be used in the days competition - limited flight golf balls. Any tour pro could adapt & they might have to tailor their game to the ball, but so be it. As long as they're changing rules, make them also play a yellow ball so spectators at the event can see it (nothing worse that being at an event & not seeing the ball in flight) ... just like tennis & softball - yellow is undeniably more visible in the air (this is yet another arguement, not intended to derail the thread).

Same way of thinking as professional baseball players can't use aluminum bats which are legal all the way from little league through college, the professionals are held to a higher standard, and have to use wood bats.

Leave todays uber long balls for the amateurs - we need all the help we can get ...

Last edited:
Your take on limiting technology in a golf ball?

It should be like tennis - when the pro's arrive, issue them a sleeve of golf balls that must be used in the days competition - limited flight golf balls. Any tour pro could adapt & they might have to tailor their game to the ball, but so be it. As long as they're changing rules, make them also play a yellow ball so spectators at the event can see it (nothing worse that being at an event & not seeing the ball in flight) ... just like tennis & softball - yellow is undeniably more visible in the air (this is yet another arguement, not intended to derail the thread).

Same way of thinking as professional baseball players can't use aluminum bats which are legal all the way from little league through college, the professionals are held to a higher standard, and have to use wood bats.

Leave todays uber long balls for the amateurs - we need all the help we can get ...

How are the balls über long?

And there is no way the USGA is going to force the hand of the PGA to use limited flight balls!

The only time the pros would be using these balls is in a USGA sponsored event.

How are the balls über long? When a pro hits a golf ball 340+ yards, thats past too long, its UBER LONG !!

And there is no way the USGA is going to force the hand of the PGA to use limited flight balls! In reality, no arguement, but thats the whole point of this thread. Jack thinks the ball needs to change so they can't hit it that far - it's making the established courses obsolete. I think it's a great idea for the pro's to use a limited flight ball to keep all of them under 300 yds.
See comments above

Cor blimey! As used to be said on these shores. Spirited debate here! Personally, there are no courses that need fear me. I share some folk's concern that old venerable courses might be made obsolete by technology, but there are some compelling arguments as to why this might not happen. I cannot see the roll back being a sensible option, but I can see that the ball might be limited from moving further forward, much like other pieces of equipment have certain limitations placed upon them.

Tapping away!

Yeah, I think it until something like 2021.

I keep seeing we(amateurs, THPers) hit it too far and shouldn't be able to reach or have the chance to go at a short Par4 in one.

So I ask why not?
Why should I be penalized for being in shape?
Why should I be penalized for being flexible and strong?
Why should I be penalized for working with an instructor to maximize my game(swing)?

I have been working hard to get more flexible, stronger, better technique to get the most out of myself. So why do you want to take all of that hard work away from me?

Why as an amateur should I be penalized for having a swing speed that matches the slowest of the pros?

Sounds like you are MAKING your own advantage. Why use technology to give yourself a bigger one?

See comments above
Those 340+ drives are super rare and typically with wind to the back or a severe elevation change.

So your saying all the pros should hit the same distance? Or they all should play a limited ball?

Either way why would you completely get rid of someone's athletic ability and talent? Not too mention hard work!

Sounds like you are MAKING your own advantage. Why use technology to give yourself a bigger one?

I'm not MAKING an advantage I'm using my skills, abilities, and knowledge to perform to the best I can. How is that an advantage?

Hey, guys. What's going on in this thread?

[scans thread]

tumblr_m9rxcjOEZf1r5kyvmo1_500.gif

It would suck to be a pro and not be DJ, Bubba, Tiger, etc if this went into effect. Like the guys that hit it 280. That would be unfortunate for them, because then they wouldn't be able to hit it anywhere!

Those 340+ drives are super rare and typically with wind to the back or a severe elevation change.

So your saying all the pros should hit the same distance? Or they all should play a limited ball?

Either way why would you completely get rid of someone's athletic ability and talent? Not too mention hard work!

I'm not MAKING an advantage I'm using my skills, abilities, and knowledge to perform to the best I can. How is that an advantage?

I hope you realize the fact that you are making your advantage is a compliment. Advantages s/b gained through hard work such as you are doing. I feel it would be unfair for anyone to be able to "out technology" you without putting the work in..

It would suck to be a pro and not be DJ, Bubba, Tiger, etc if this went into effect. Like the guys that hit it 280. That would be unfortunate for them, because then they wouldn't be able to hit it anywhere!

Well in theory all the courses would spend thousands of dollars moving the tees up. And if they didn't there would be a huge advantage for the long ball hitter and it would make the sport worse.

~Joseph~
Via Tapatalk

This thread has run it's course for me. Enjoy

I hope you realize the fact that you are making your advantage is a compliment. Advantages s/b gained through hard work such as you are doing. I feel it would be unfair for anyone to be able to "out technology" you without putting the work in..

I do and I understand where I have gotten my game to and where I see it going has its benefits. But everyone has the ability to work hard and play the course smartly and to their strengths.

I completely agree being beat purely by technology would not be cool. But right now everybody has the same access to the equipment and tech. The access and availability of the same equipment and tech to everyone is what's so great about the game IMO!

As I think about this more I wonder if the issues aren't:

1. the tour won't go to some classic courses because the pros won't be able to hit driver more than a few times and;

2. amateurs want to claim that they can play 7400 yard courses when they should be playing 6400 so course builders build them so "they will come"

So, interesting thing happened today. I walk into the golf course and there was some people talking about tees.

A little insight, last Friday I played in a charity Relay for Life 4 person scramble. We only had 3 guys show up, we were team with the only group of 4 women. When we got to our assigned tee we step up to the gold tee boxes and they begin to freak out, blah blah blah your men you should play from the whites, well if your going to play from the folds were gonna tee up in front of the ladies teebox, its only fair. Whatever, Also there was a buy in for one mulligan per team, they took four since they were ladies... whatever. (They shot really well, and one won a pin prize for closest to the tee from the tee on a par 3, she was within 3 feet awesome shot)

Back to today, I go into the clubhouse and one of the ladies from the tournament was talking to another member about where people should be playing. Golds are for 65+, whites are men, Blues are for John Hurley, red ladies. Then she got to talking about the tournament and how it was BS, and how they cheated and the other member was agreeing with her, that it was BS that some younger guys are always playing from the gold.

I didn't say anything for certain reasons and just went and golfed (From the whites and did really good actually but that's for another thread)

The course is a 9 hole course and the tees play as follows, Blue-3680, White-3410, Gold-3157, Red-2836, My course handicap is 14 (for 9, I don't really get how it works on 9 hole courses) so I play from the Gold all the time, probably rightly so for now, if i can tame my driver I bet a case could be had for me playing whites.

But that's the kind of mentality your faced with, and now you want to shorten the ball? Doesn't seem right.

I think you hit on one of the biggest problems Rhyno. We've been told since we started playing that the forward tees are for the ladies, the next are for old guys, the next are for regular guys and the back are for the really good guys. So moving forward is perceived as admitting weakness, and it takes a pretty secure guy to go against that.

I think you hit on one of the biggest problems Rhyno. We've been told since we started playing that the forward tees are for the ladies, the next are for old guys, the next are for regular guys and the back are for the really good guys. So moving forward is perceived as admitting weakness, and it takes a pretty secure guy to go against that.

A little off-topic but I'll share a funny story about tees. Many years ago a friend and I were playing at the Legacy Club at Alaqua Lakes north of Orlando. At the time it was a really nice course (may still be - haven't been back) and we were playing behnind Matt Kuchar and ahead of a group of club pros...anyway we get paired with a member - real nice guy in his mid-60's - and my buddy drives up to one of the forward tees and says "Sir, we're new here, what tees do you want to play?" and the guy says "Well, I don't know what tees you're gonna play but the Men's tees are back here."...the next sounds were the "BEEP...BEEP...BEEP" of my buddy backing up the cart. He hasn't lived it down to this day.. :)

When kids start golf and are learning the game they don't start at the men's tees, why should anyone else?
I would venture to guess that if men learned the game from the forward tee and only moved as they could shoot around par and did that with each tee the learning process would be quicker and the handicap would be lower. Just my take.

Last edited:
Back