Cleveland 588 MT Irons Preview Thread

Good question!

There is quite a bit of difference, especially from a visual standpoint when you look at the top line and wide sole. Face height and blade length are not that far off though. For me, the other real difference seems to be the change from lightweight graphite in the Altitudes to a steel shaft.

I will say that the Altitudes are on another level of playability with the longer clubs. To the point that it makes me wonder what having a 5 or even a 6 could do for a guy. Or, like you are talking about, having the MT's with the graphite shaft. Not that the MT's are difficult in any way to work with. I can get the ball elevated with no issues using them. The Alts are just that easy.

Wow. I just wish I could get past the look of them. The MT's, on the other hand, look pretty decent at address for the amount of help they offer.

Shame more people don't know about the 588's - that concept blows pretty much anything else on the market away. If I didn't love the CG16 Tours I'd have an all 588 iron set this season for sure. I'm still considering getting 9 & PW in the 588 Forged.

I agree that they have a solid look to them. Just a hair less offset than the irons I was playing and I like how the cavity is closed off (not that I see that at address, but still). No doubt that this is probably the most forward thinking combo set line on the market.

Can't say you'd be dissapointed with the 588 CB's. I had them in the bag last year and really enjoyed my time with them.

Just ordered the MT 3 & 4 with the C.Kua 59 from my Cleveland rep. I made the 4 a degree weak for spacing purposes. Can't wait to try these out, they should be about 10 days.

I'll post results with pics when they come in.

That's how to get it done. Very nice! Looking foward to it.

Happy to report I re-learned how to hit a mid iron yesterday :D I was getting a little swipey with them over the last few weeks, losing both distance and raising my trajectory. Finally felt like I started getting the club in the slot yesterday and it led to some favorable results.

Best shot of the day was an MT 7 iron on a par 3. It was playing into a crosswind to an uphill green at 147 yards. The tee box was right in front of the flag, so I just aimed right at it and assumed the wind would hold it up from drawing too much if it got away from me. Ended up working just as planned with a shot to six feet. Maybe the best shot I can remember hitting this year - at least with a full swing. Second time around, the wind had shifted so that it was quartering at me, so I took the 6 iron and hit an almost identical shot, but 5 yards past the pin.

Had a couple other good ones, as well as some some not so good ones like most of us do, but in all - good day and one that I'd been waiting for.

Yesterday went out with my NEW 588 MT 4i, on first look the head was chunkier than I originially thought very wide sole and top line much widier than I have used in the past. BUT HELL with the looks this club instantly made my golf game easier. Consistantly hit to 210 yards high baby draws. Can not wait to kit my bag out with a 3 and 5i and perhaps a 6 in the MT or TT. Can not wait unitil next season already

It blew me away when I went to reshaft, I really didn't realize it until then. I believe I ended up going again under. 3/4 shorter in them now. I was hitting them fine, I just think it was costing me some consistency. Eager to get out and see what this change does.

How do you compare the MT 3 and 4 iron to the Altitude 3 and 4?
Did you also shorten the shaft on the Altitudes?

How do you compare the MT 3 and 4 iron to the Altitude 3 and 4?
Did you also shorten the shaft on the Altitudes?

For me, the altitudes are easier to hit and elevate. Honestly I think alot of it is just how the lesser offset int he Altitudes fit my eye better than the larger amount in the MT's. Both are a lot of fun to hit, especially off of the tee. The altitudes are playing at the standard length (39.75" and 39.125") and I really don't feel like I need to shorten them as I did the MT's.

Again, both are a lot of fun to hit, for me though the altitudes are just more consistent.

For me, the altitudes are easier to hit and elevate. Honestly I think alot of it is just how the lesser offset int he Altitudes fit my eye better than the larger amount in the MT's. Both are a lot of fun to hit, especially off of the tee. The altitudes are playing at the standard length (39.75" and 39.125") and I really don't feel like I need to shorten them as I did the MT's.

Again, both are a lot of fun to hit, for me though the altitudes are just more consistent.

Have you noticed a difference in distance in the Altiude 3/4 and the MT 3/4 irons?

Have you noticed a difference in distance in the Altiude 3/4 and the MT 3/4 irons?

Altitudes are a bit longer for me, but, I'm also playing/have-played shafts in them that launch higher than those I had in the MT's so that could be a lot of the difference. More carry.

After my iron play the last 2 weeks, I cant wait to get these long irons in the bag. Need some consistency and I think these will be the ticket.

I am absolutely impressed with the 5/6 MT I have in the bag.

Didnt have a need for a lot of long iron shots, but I did on one hole today.

Par 3, 193 yards. I didnt want to go hybrid, so I pulled 5iron, and decided to tee it up a bit higher than normal. No clue why this came across my mind, but it seemed like the right idea. I landed my shot pin high on the left side of the green and rolled off the back side of the green. That's a bit longer than my typical 5iron for me, and I dont feel that I swung out of my shoes but I was happy with that. I played the ball from right to left, as it has been my stock flight with these the past few weeks. I feel that with it tee'd up a bit higher than normal, I hit it dead center of the club face, and just made perfect contact.

Ball flight was good, and for me, hitting a 5iron up in the air is a sight for sore eyes.

I need to get some range time this weekend and work on my long iron a game a bit more, but the more I game these, the more and more comfortable I get with pulling a longer iron when needed.

These...continue to impress the heck out of me.

Had two long Par 3s today, one being around 190 and one around 185. Both times, I pulled the MT 5i, and tee'd it up a bit higher than I typically do with an iron on a Par 3. First Par 3, I landed it pin high to the left, and it was perfectly hit.

The second was about 193 yards, I do believe, and my first tee shot was a push right, which just so happened to be directly in to the water. A bit frustrated, I re-tee'd the ball, and absolutely smoked it. Dead at the pin and for a split second I thought I was looking at my first Hole-in-One; Par. It didnt go in, but I was left with a tap in bogey.

The second shot on that second hole absolutely prevented the big number for me. Walking away with a bogey on that hole saved my round, without a doubt.

The confidence I have when pulling a longer iron is absolutely incredible. The MTs have been game changers for me, as I no longer fear longer approach shots in to greens from 180 yards out, nor do I fear the long Par 3s.

These...continue to impress the heck out of me.

Had two long Par 3s today, one being around 190 and one around 185. Both times, I pulled the MT 5i, and tee'd it up a bit higher than I typically do with an iron on a Par 3. First Par 3, I landed it pin high to the left, and it was perfectly hit.

The second was about 193 yards, I do believe, and my first tee shot was a push right, which just so happened to be directly in to the water. A bit frustrated, I re-tee'd the ball, and absolutely smoked it. Dead at the pin and for a split second I thought I was looking at my first Hole-in-One; Par. It didnt go in, but I was left with a tap in bogey.

The second shot on that second hole absolutely prevented the big number for me. Walking away with a bogey on that hole saved my round, without a doubt.

The confidence I have when pulling a longer iron is absolutely incredible. The MTs have been game changers for me, as I no longer fear longer approach shots in to greens from 180 yards out, nor do I fear the long Par 3s.

I love, love, love, love, LOVE this in bold. There is NOTHING like that feeling when you've found something that you know just works. I know that all too well now witht he Altitudes myself.

You are ripping these things dude. Very nice. Any regrets on not going more MT's now looking back?

I know you've mentioned it War, what shafts do you have in your irons?

Also, have you compared a hybrid's ball flight against the long irons?

I love, love, love, love, LOVE this in bold. There is NOTHING like that feeling when you've found something that you know just works. I know that all too well now witht he Altitudes myself.

You are ripping these things dude. Very nice. Any regrets on not going more MT's now looking back?
I went back and forth with that decision for a while, but, I love the TTs and they are the irons I wanted in the bag. No regret there, from me. The TTs do what I need them to do, highly accurate with some impressive distance.

I think I split my set in the perfect way, especially when looking at my game in the past and being incredibly comfortable with the 7-PW irons and shying away from hitting my 5 or 6 irons.

I went back and forth with that decision for a while, but, I love the TTs and they are the irons I wanted in the bag. No regret there, from me. The TTs do what I need them to do, highly accurate with some impressive distance.

I think I split my set in the perfect way, especially when looking at my game in the past and being incredibly comfortable with the 7-PW irons and shying away from hitting my 5 or 6 irons.

Very nice buddy, I actually agree, having gamed the 3/4 I do think you split the set in the best place. Just makes the most sense IMO.

War, I completely agree with you. The confidence I have in this 3 iron is shocking. Never have I ever just pulled a 3 iron and not though of the trouble around the fairway. I know where the ball will go and I have so much faith in the ball flight. Stunning.

I know you've mentioned it War, what shafts do you have in your irons?

Also, have you compared a hybrid's ball flight against the long irons?
Well, I havent hit a similarly lofted hybrid to my 5i, so not directly. My 3h is a bit lower than my 5i. I have a weird gap in my bag between my 3h and my 5i, but I always have, and I like it. In my MT irons I have the stock shafts, which are similar to my previous KBS Tour 90s.
War, I completely agree with you. The confidence I have in this 3 iron is shocking. Never have I ever just pulled a 3 iron and not though of the trouble around the fairway. I know where the ball will go and I have so much faith in the ball flight. Stunning.
Yeah buddy. I knew you would dig on these long irons. Good enough for Gmac, good enough for War.

Went out and hit the 5 iron on the range yesterday. HAd a few pretty good results and a few thin shots. This was my first time hitting my new MTs, so I'm still in the honeymoon learning curve. Distance looked pretty similar to my R11s, but it was hard to truly see the ball land in relation to the pins I was shooting towards due to the setting sun being right in my face.

I'm not a guy who talks much about feel, but the MTs were pretty easy to tell when I hit it on the nut, when it was thin, or when it was on the toe. Almost didnt even need to look up and see where it was headed.

Went out and hit the 5 iron on the range yesterday. HAd a few pretty good results and a few thin shots. This was my first time hitting my new MTs, so I'm still in the honeymoon learning curve. Distance looked pretty similar to my R11s, but it was hard to truly see the ball land in relation to the pins I was shooting towards due to the setting sun being right in my face.

I'm not a guy who talks much about feel, but the MTs were pretty easy to tell when I hit it on the nut, when it was thin, or when it was on the toe. Almost didnt even need to look up and see where it was headed.
I had a few of those yesterday as well with the long irons, knew it was hit flush, didnt even have to stare it down. I love when I hit shots like this, it gives me a chance to work on my Tiger walkoff.

Due to some other testing commitments I hadn't hit these very much over the last couple weeks. I enjoyed getting some swings in with them quite a bit. They look fantastic with the MCI shafts and I felt like I was hitting them better than ever. They'll be on the golf course this week a couple times at least.

MCI's made them feel even softer, which I didn't really think was possible.

Nice, Hawk! Will be interested to hear how the shaft swap goes over the next few weeks.

A little update from my round yesterday; I hit the 5 and 6i of the MT better than any other long iron that I have hit. Being able to pull a 5i from 190 out and be confident that I will get on or around the green is huge. The course we were on yesterday was playing longer than the 6,550 yards it said on the card, as the opening 4 holes are not the shortest on the course. The first 4 holes, I went;

Hole 1, Par 4; Driver/5i
Hole 2, Par 5; Driver/6i/PW
Hole 3, Par 3; 6i
Hole 4, Par 4; Driver/6i

I played those holes at +1 to start my round.

That tells me all I need to know about the long irons of this set.

That's a great start through what sounds like a very tough stretch WE.

I have had quite a bit of long iron success with the TTs, but can't help but wonder what the MTs would have been like..

How are you guys liking the decision to include them in your set? Would you change anything? Find the flighting different?

Back