Cleveland 588 Altitude Hybrid Irons Preview

I should have hit these. They're just so ugly.

Non-traditional - Yes. Ugly - No. There is nothing ugly about irons that help to make golf shots go where you want them to, especially on the not-so-perfect swings.

Yea, they're not real terrible. I looked at them and just didn't like them. So I didn't hit them. Never gave them a chance.

~Joseph~
Via Tapatalk

Biggest hurdle for any SGI club right there.

Yea, they're not real terrible. I looked at them and just didn't like them. So I didn't hit them. Never gave them a chance.

~Joseph~
Via Tapatalk

I said the same thing time and time again, even after hitting them again and again on the range at the outing. Hell, I only wanted a set to take out now and again for fun, but I can't deny the results. Not at all.

For what I'm seeing, if be dumb to not game them.

I said the same thing time and time again, even after hitting them again and again on the range at the outing. Hell, I only wanted a set to take out now and again for fun, but I can't deny the results. Not at all.

For what I'm seeing, if be dumb to not game them.

Just wait for the USGA to come after hybrid irons because they are to easy to hit.

Look is pretty similar to the JPX Fli Hi to me. Didn't really love the look of that club either. I will say that the Alts work and feel much better than the Fli Hi's though. Still surprised that I don't hit these straight up in the air. I get a really nice trajectory out of them.

Just wait for the USGA to come after hybrid irons because they are to easy to hit.

That and my SuperStroke grips, I'm just waiting on it.

Legit couldn't fall asleep last night, because I was up all night thinking about them. True story. They were that impressive, my god they are ugly, but damn are they easy to hit. Like I told JB they are honestly like nothing I've ever hit. Looked like a hybrid, set up like a hybrid and they were honestly as soft as my Taylormade MB's.

I have read almost this whole thread and these have me pretty intrigued! I'm hoping I can find some of these around here to hit. I have hit an HB3 7i, and it was ten yards longer than any of the others I tried, as well as, ridiculously easy to hit. I do have one question though:

What do these have to offer to a person who already hits high and straight?

I suppose just the fact that several guys here, who are more accomplished golfers than myself, are seeing such great results speaks volumes.

Legit couldn't fall asleep last night, because I was up all night thinking about them. True story. They were that impressive, my god they are ugly, but damn are they easy to hit. Like I told JB they are honestly like nothing I've ever hit. Looked like a hybrid, set up like a hybrid and they were honestly as soft as my Taylormade MB's.

Just do it...u know u want to

Just do it...u know u want to

And what about you?

I just can't do it myself. I've heard a lot of great things and the results seem to be speaking for themselves, but I just can't square up over them. They make me feel feel uncomfortable. It's a damn shame too.

And what about you?

I just can't do it myself. I've heard a lot of great things and the results seem to be speaking for themselves, but I just can't square up over them. They make me feel feel uncomfortable. It's a damn shame too.

If things dont go well with rocketbladez it coukd happen

I should have asked to hit JB's they really don't look bad in person. Smaller than I thought.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

I have read almost this whole thread and these have me pretty intrigued! I'm hoping I can find some of these around here to hit. I have hit an HB3 7i, and it was ten yards longer than any of the others I tried, as well as, ridiculously easy to hit. I do have one question though:

What do these have to offer to a person who already hits high and straight?

I suppose just the fact that several guys here, who are more accomplished golfers than myself, are seeing such great results speaks volumes.

To answer your question I would say simply this...more often than you do now. Meaning your mishits would be much much less. I'm on my phone so I can't see what you're playing now, but I only have about 5-6 swings with them and every swing besides my first that I pulled a 5 iron into the wind about 195 yards dead straight and high. I believe I backed up the 148 yard 9 I hit to about 10 ft off the toe. They are that good. I'm pretty sure one of the country clubs near me has them. I'm going to spend some serious time with them in the next couple of days.

To answer your question I would say simply this...more often than you do now. Meaning your mishits would be much much less. I'm on my phone so I can't see what you're playing now, but I only have about 5-6 swings with them and every swing besides my first that I pulled a 5 iron into the wind about 195 yards dead straight and high. I believe I backed up the 148 yard 9 I hit to about 10 ft off the toe. They are that good. I'm pretty sure one of the country clubs near me has them. I'm going to spend some serious time with them in the next couple of days.

Thanks for the reply. As far as what I play, I go back and forth between my old FG-17's and the DI-11's. The FG's are surprisingly good, when my swing is on. When my swing is off, the FG's get left in the trunk and DI's come out. The DI-11's have often let me get away with murder, kinda like you saw from the altitudes. I would probably play the DI's all the time except that I often hit the short irons too far, as in, fly the green at random times too far(without any apparent reason like wind or flyer lies, etc). If the Altitudes are as forgiving as the DI's, without the surprise bombs, I'll be thrilled.

I am absolutely amazed by the response I'm seeing on these. I'm really curious how the mid irons are hacking through the rough and the head weight given the size. I'm not surprised people play them through the mid irons (or through 9i), but I am surprised that people play the PW or even beyond that. I'd really like to hear more from people who play the wedges. 2 things have always hindered my use of SGI irons: offset and not enough distance on good hits. Any SGI sets I've ever used concentrate so much on launch and spin that good-perfect hits end up with too much of both. I'm not hearing any of that on these. A 6-9 set to go with my 3-5 hybrids and matching PW to my other wedges seems like a doable experiment. I wonder how these would feel on some aerotechs.

On a side note, I wonder why didn't they just smooth out that topline so that all the clubs just look like tiny hybrids at address instead of that strange matte black cavity

Last edited:
I am absolutely amazed by the response I'm seeing on these. I'm really curious how the mid irons are hacking through the rough and the head weight given the size. I'm not surprised people play them through the mid irons (or through 9i), but I am surprised that people play the PW or even beyond that. I'd really like to hear more from people who play the wedges. 2 things have always hindered my use of SGI irons: offset and not enough distance on good hits. Any SGI sets I've ever used concentrate so much on launch and spin that good-perfect hits end up with too much of both. I'm not hearing any of that on these. A 6-9 set to go with my 3-5 hybrids and matching PW to my other wedges seems like a doable experiment. I wonder how these would feel on some aerotechs.

On a side note, I wonder why didn't they just smooth out that topline so that all the clubs just look like tiny hybrids at address instead of that strange matte black cavity

Gotta be honest the PW may have been the favorite one I hit. Hitting it flush was remarkable. As far as head weight goes, they felt lighter than a normal hybrid IMO. I think the PW was the lowest iron JB had. That's the same set up I'd rock. Probably 4i-PW. I couldn't tell ya how they play out of the rough probably should have hit a few just to get a feel, but I will soon. As far as non perfect hits go I know I toed a few and they still went where I was aimed and at most a yard or two short.

Gotta be honest the PW may have been the favorite one I hit. Hitting it flush was remarkable. As far as head weight goes, they felt lighter than a normal hybrid IMO. I think the PW was the lowest iron JB had. That's the same set up I'd rock. Probably 4i-PW. I couldn't tell ya how they play out of the rough probably should have hit a few just to get a feel, but I will soon. As far as non perfect hits go I know I toed a few and they still went where I was aimed and at most a yard or two short.

My experiences are that they tear through the rough pretty good....even for a sweeper like me

My experiences are that they tear through the rough pretty good....even for a sweeper like me

I sweep as well, but I was typing another response as you quoted me saying that 1 JB said at dinner they do well. No different than any other iron in the rough and 2 I don't think they would make perfect clubs for fairways only, because lord knows they aren't easy to hit!

The PW is a blast. It's just strange for me having it as my 145 club still. If not for the 48* filling the gap quite well for me I'd be going DW as well. Or Niblick, just to REALLY eff with people's minds.

As its pouring rain again here in NC (thank goodness for a beautiful weekend after 3 days of rain last week) I think I'm going to go hit some more altitudes at GS later this afternoon. I think it'll be fun comparing all the lines with the same club side by side.

This is for everyone, but Jman if you're listening, that would help as you're coming off the i20s. What kind of distances are you seeing compared to the long irons in your last set? Is the Alt 6I roughly the same as your old 5I? Curious as I've been considering a 5I replacement as I've just struggled with it lately, and would like another option for when things aren't perfect with my swing.

This is for everyone, but Jman if you're listening, that would help as you're coming off the i20s. What kind of distances are you seeing compared to the long irons in your last set? Is the Alt 6I roughly the same as your old 5I? Curious as I've been considering a 5I replacement as I've just struggled with it lately, and would like another option for when things aren't perfect with my swing.

Well, my 8i in the i20's/J40's was about 150-155 and the 8i in these is 165 for me, it's been a heck of an adjustment.

Another very fun round in the books with the Altitudes in the bag. And.....they continue to impress as I go into broken record theme.

Believe I hit 7 GIR's yesterday (5 on the back) after some struggles off the tee left me in a few bad spots. Coolest thing is even when I put a swing on the ball that was just pure ugly (hello 2 foot high thinned 5 iron on a 170 par 3), I was still left with opportunities to save par which I did numerous times yesterday.

When I have misses, it is one of 2 things:

1) Hit off the heel (even hoseled a few) as I am too close to the ball. This is likely due to the fact that these are longer shafted than my previous set so I have been making a concerted effort to back up a bit further
2) Thins when I "stand up - extend right knee" in the swing and don't get it back down in time. Typically these have me catching the equator of the ball and sending it on a line drive path 20 yards over the green

Luckily, these misses are not too often and I am rarely left missing the green by more than 5-7 yards in any direction within 175.

The ALT 4 has become my go to club on par 4's less than 330. It gives me a predictable straight flight right around 180-190 leaving me in a position I am very comfortable with and that is 150 or less with an ALT or wedge in hand.

Niteowl03 (Aaron) even took a few swipes with mine yesterday and while he doesn't care for the looks, the performance was there....even as he was struggling with his JPX 800's some. 6 iron - 180....no problem for him. Cool to see people come believers as they try them with a shaft pretty close to what they need.

Ready to do some damage with these this next weekend....36 hole MGA Ryder Cup match upcoming!

Well, my 8i in the i20's/J40's was about 150-155 and the 8i in these is 165 for me, it's been a heck of an adjustment.

Thanks. My 8I is ~150 as well. Sounds like you gained 1.5 clubs! That would be a large adjustment. Sounds like I need a 6I then if I want to go that way. I'm not chasing distance here, just looking for something a little easier to hit from 180 out. Love my J40 hybo in the 4I slot but they don't make a 5H. Hmm... Ponder mode engaged. Any reason I wouldn't want to go with the stock steel if I'm playing CFS stiff in my i20s? I'm half tempted to find a PX 6.0 hybrid shaft to put in one.

After a couple of weekend where not much golf was played (weather, other commitments), I finally got these clubs out for 18 holes for a tournament qualifying round at my course on Sunday.

After starting the year out reasonably well, things had been going South for about a month/month and a half (part of what prompted the change to these irons) - low iron shots, two way misses, can't hit a driver to save my life (not new, but still an issue). Yesterday, I played a round where (for the most part) everything clicked and these irons played a huge part.

Playing to a 20 course handicap right now (16.6 index), I shot 85 (net 65) to end up as, most likely a top-five seed in the tourney. Shot gross 39 on the front side (a personal best) aided by two birdies set up by these clubs - a 5 iron to below the hole on a 170 uphill par 3; and M1; 6 iron; 3/4 DW to about 5 feet for a birdie two holes later on the first par 5 of the day. Faltered a little bit over the last 5 or 6 holes (two doubles (3 putts) and a 7 on a par three (water, sand adventure)) to shoot 46 on the back side, but all in all, a very successful day.

Can't wait to get these back on the course Friday/Saturday for the first Member/Guest of the year.

Back