How did you meet your Significant Other?

I met Des at work. A mutual friend of ours for months tried to hook me up with her and I kept saying no because I didn't want to date someone from work. After a while I said "what the hell" and we hung out after work. It continued to be more of a casual thing until I bought a house in November of '05. From that point on we got to know each other better and became serious. Proposed in October of '08 and the rest is history. I surely married up with this one! Des is a phenomenal wife and an even better mother! I really got lucky!

I met my lovely bride in a bar.
I should add, she was on a date with a friend of mine but he went chasing some waitress & I was getting hammered. I guess she felt sorry for me and decided since my friend ditched me, somebody needed to be the responsible one. We had lunch the next day & have talked everyday since.
With her being in Fl & me in GA, we drove back & forth for almost a year, then she moved to GA to finish collge and be closer to me.
How she puts up with me is beyond me but she does & I'm thankful for it.

Last edited:
I had a similar experience. I had a friend go through a rough breakup, and she wanted to check it out, but was afraid to. I agreed to sign up if she did. I started talking to a cute girl who had just moved here from Colorado. We ended up going out, I walk out my front door and find someone who was QUITE a bit larger than their profile would have you believe. We went to applebees and I called it a night early, after all I had to be at work the next day.... at 6 pm.

The friend I signed up with is now married to a guy from the site, they have 2 kids. Our experiences were a bit different.

The thing that needs to be understand here,is at 6'9" tall a person does not appear out of shape/robust by any means. Just a very LARGE frame. I'm 6'2' tall and this gal made me look like a dwarf. The thing is, she honestly did look exactly like Andre the Giant with black curly locks etc. I was not in to dating girls that had to pick me up to dance eye to eye.

Marketing class in high school. Been together for 11 years now.

Set up by a mutual friend who I worked and had grown up with and went to college with my wife.

I met mine at one of our fraternity parties. She wasn't interested for awhile, but after I took her out to dinner she started to open up a bit and now 4 years later we are still together.

I was a senior standout athlete and saw a red-headed sophomore walk by through the commons area one day. All things being honest, I loved the view as she was walking away and got up and followed her down the hall introducing myself, which was crazy un characteristic of me. We've been together 12 years and married 7 now, that girl is my everything.

Last edited:
Ole Gray and I actually did meet on a dating website. I wasn't on one but heard an ad for one while riding in the car. When I got home, I decided to browse through the local area to see what was there. I was totally laughing the entire time and had no intentions of signing up. I saw one guy who caught my eye and had similar interests (golf being one) so I signed up long enough to start a conversation, swap emails, and deleted my account the same day. We eventually met for a casual dinner date, a round of golf a few days later, and the rest is history. I've always been embarrassed to admit that we met on a dating website but like Mike said, it's pretty common now.

After my first marriage didn't work out I picked up a second job waiting tables in anticipation for leaving my full time job as a restaurant manager because I was returning to school full time that fall. I met my amazing wife at the second job. She was a hostess there. We grew up 10 minutes apart but didn't know each other and she's 3 years younger than me. She's amazing and it works out perfectly that our families are so close for holidays etc.

I met my wife in College through mutual friends.. I was pretty struck by everything about her, and we became friends. A year later, we were dating, and the rest is history.

We've been together for 9 years, and will have been married 5 years on the 28th of this month. I am damn lucky.

I met my wife at work, and she actually initiated it. I had a girlfriend at the time that was going nowhere and I needed to get out of it so she gave me the perfect oppurtunity. Now 8 years latter we will be married 6 of those in September.

My ex and I met during the summer before my senior year in high school. We were in the same grade and all, but different circles, so never met until I happened in to an R&W Rootbeer stand she worked at. Together 24 years.

After that I met liz on line a little over 10 years ago. I always hated telling people were we met.

Ole Gray and I actually did meet on a dating website. I wasn't on one but heard an ad for one while riding in the car. When I got home, I decided to browse through the local area to see what was there. I was totally laughing the entire time and had no intentions of signing up. I saw one guy who caught my eye and had similar interests (golf being one) so I signed up long enough to start a conversation, swap emails, and deleted my account the same day. We eventually met for a casual dinner date, a round of golf a few days later, and the rest is history. I've always been embarrassed to admit that we met on a dating website but like Mike said, it's pretty common now.

I love telling people how we met. Once they hear we met on a dating site, the questions just start rolling in! How, why, when, everything. With us, and I assume they are all the same, but you can see who look at your profile. Well Jacqui looked at mine and when I saw where she was from (she in California, me in Kansas City, KS), I sent her a message teasing her about looking at my profile since I was so far away! She said the guys out there didn't so it for her, and she had just been searching guys who were online, just because she was bored. Well, the few girls from here that I actually met up with and had lunch, dinner or drinks with didn't do much for me either, so we just kind of started sending messages back and forth.

This was in mid April, and this continued into May. We finally talked on the phone in the middle of May and talked from about 10 PM until about 3 AM (it was worse for me, since she was two hours behind me), we continued talking on the phone almost every day after that. She started calling me when she got home from work so I didn't have to stay up so late, and we still talked for a couple hours a night. Memorial Day was coming up and she mentioned she had plans to go meet a guy in Texas for the first time over the holiday (she had set that up before we had started the phone calls). She could tell that kind of bummed me out to hear that, and the next morning I got an email from her with her new travel plans. She had cancelled her original flight and was coming to Kansas City instead!

I knew when she left that I didn't want to stop seeing her, sent her flowers the next day and also set up a trip over Fourth of July. After that we took turns flying out to each other. It was supposed to be once a month, but the next time was three weeks, a couple trips after that it ended up being every two weeks, and by the time she moved out here, one of us made the flight every week for the last two months or three months.

She moved here in April of 2006 almost exactly a year after our first contact online, and over Memorial Day that year (one year after we had our first in person meeting) we drove back to California with a trailer and my F150, got her things out of storage and drove back to Kansas City. That was two days out, two days there and three days back.

For people who decide to do the long distance thing, a couple words of warning. First, set up your flights early, as you will be making a lot of trips and you will want to spend as little as possible on your many flights. In less than a year, we flew to see each other a bout 30 times total. Got a few free trips on Southwest. Also, saying goodbye after the weekend is harder on the person who isn't having to fly back home, since you are going back to an empty place. It was a lot easier when I flew back home after the weekend.

This thread makes me want to try online dating again.

~Joseph~
Via Tapatalk

My wife and I actually swam in the same pool in High School after a week of painting houses in inner city Memphis (She lived there while I lived in Tampa). But we met again in College and dated for 2.5 years before getting hitched. We're going on 11 years now and I couldn't be more proud or in love with a woman.

I met my wife online. I was doing hurricane relief in south Texas at the time and she was in DFW where I am from. We went on a few dates when I cam home to see my parents and it it off well. That was 6 years ago, and will be 3 years of marriage in August.

Had a few online friends in a chat room. We all decided to get together and meet for real. One of the gals in the group brought her sister as a wing gal.
I fell in love with the sister almost immediately. That was back in 1998. We got married in 2004. It's been the best 15 years of my life.....and continues to be so.

Met my wife at work. I was there full time and she was there during summer/breaks from school. First meet didn't really help me, she thought I was wierd. But the next Christmas when she was home from school, I invited her to a group thing, and started liking her then, but she didn't wanna date me. Well we've been together 3 & 1/2 years and will be married for a year in August. Shows how well she stuck to the "I don't wanna date you right now" theory.

I met my wife at the beginning of my senior year at K-State. She was an incoming freshman. She moved into the apt complex two doors down from mine. I was actually taking out my trash and her and one of her friends/roomates were waiting for some friends outside. They were sitting on the trunk of her car, I walked by and her friend started talking to me. She was all, want to hang out with us and have some beers? So, not knowing how old either of them were, but just that she (my wife) was cute I said sure. I hung out at their party that night, she got hammered, I went back to my place and didn't see her for about two weeks. Then she showed up at my door to appoligize. We hung out alot, dated and have been together 11 years and married for just over 8 now with two cute little girls. I often wonder "what if" since her friend (very out going) started talking to me. Who knows right? I made my move, she said yes to me in the long run. ha ha ha

I met my wife in high school. We started dating my senior year, she was a sophomore. She actually asked me to Tolo, a dance where the girl asks the guy, and the rest is history. After dating for 10 years (we were young and in no rush to get married), we got married about 3 months ago and are very happy.

I met my wife at a Charlotte Knights baseball game, 10 years ago this July 4th. We hit it off, went out with a larger group the next night, and had our first real date a few days later. That was 2003, we were married in 2007, and have enjoyed 10 wonderful years together.

I'm truly jealous/envious of all of you!

I met my wife 14 years ago when she was over in the UK studying for a year. We spent just under a year together, then she flew back to the States. We kept in touch, at the time I thought I was just a holiday fling, turns out she thought the same. Anyway, a few years back, my marriage broke down, I was invited out to California for a break. As the week went on, things developed, and to cut a long story short, after 2 difficult years of transatlantic flights for both of us, Skype and 50,000 messages on whatsapp, I'm now living in CA and married!

My brother had been going out with this girl for yrs. and one day she said she had a girl friend who was interrested in meeting me and that is how i ended up here hahaha.. that was 18 yrs. ago.

Back