Bridgestone J40 Driver Review Thread

be patient my friend... it'll come.. The tee it low is something that got me started after the great panda suggested it to me in Orlando. It has worked great for me and it will for you too.

Any consistency I thought I had with this driver went out the window in league tonight. Still managed a 44 with 3 penalty strokes off the tee. That tells you right there that if I could have kept the ball in play off the tee I would have had a great night instead of just good. Just probably a down night tho. Not gonna get too worked up over it yet.

Rhino I've gone the other way unfortunately. I cannot elevate this puppy. I'm at the point that I"m just trying to tee it low and line it out there and get some roll. Struggling a bit

Chunky, this is me each time I owned this one. For me it was just SO low spinning I could never find the right combo for it. But my gosh when I got it, it was a cannon.

Keep at it buddy, the swing will tune back in and you'll round into form with it at the right time.

How are everyone else faring with this bomber? Love me some driver talk.

Rhino I've gone the other way unfortunately. I cannot elevate this puppy. I'm at the point that I"m just trying to tee it low and line it out there and get some roll. Struggling a bit

Dude me too...this head and shaft combo just can't get the ball in the air for me either. I was 25 to 35 yards shorter with it today than the classic xl

I find that when I hit this driver well, I'd say that the flight of the ball is a middle flight, nothing super-high. When I hit it well, I can get some really good distance on it, I even had some drives at the Outing that were in the neighborhood of where big hitters like Buckjob, Wake, and Playdough were at. But when I don't hit this driver well, the ball just doesn't have enough spin to hang in the air and it nosedives on me. My miss is also in the heel and those shots don't go very well. I don't know that there is a driver out there that is really forgiving at the heel, but my bad shots off of the heel are punished a good bit. I will admit, my driver swing has gone away a bit since the Outing, but I know that the potential is there with this driver because I hit it really well at the Outing.

Dude me too...this head and shaft combo just can't get the ball in the air for me either. I was 25 to 35 yards shorter with it today than the classic xl

It's a little weird for me. I can't say that I'm all that short with it. I'm still seeing some decent distance just a different ball flight. Mid flight at best and a ton of roll.

It's a little weird for me. I can't say that I'm all that short with it. I'm still seeing some decent distance just a different ball flight. Mid flight at best and a ton of roll.

My nose dive is killing the roll out

You and I should play together and see if we are seeing something similar

I'm still seeing good results with it....mid high balls that carry a long way....I've gone from averaging 245 to 263 according to Golfshot stats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am loving this driver. Hits go far and mishits go far too. I can hit it at full length right out of the gates, but I need to choke down around the 9th hole about a half inch. Then a little bit more around 15. My miss is a duck hook, but I dont really experience that with the plan I have referenced.

Sounds like you need to play the highest spinning ball Bridgestone offers.

I am loving this driver. Hits go far and mishits go far too. I can hit it at full length right out of the gates, but I need to choke down around the 9th hole about a half inch. Then a little bit more around 15. My miss is a duck hook, but I dont really experience that with the plan I have referenced.

Sounds like you need to play the highest spinning ball Bridgestone offers.

Ive tried e5 and rxs to no avail...I can tee it up like chunky low and hit bullets instead and at least get decent distance thanks to roll.

Little update on my progress with my J40 9.5*. The last 3 rounds I have played have been very hit or miss with this driver. I am either pounding the ball down the fairway, or I am losing it right and being penalized. It is unfortunate, because if I could get some consistency with it, the last few rounds could have gone from "good" to "great." I guess I have to just am going to have to slow my tempo a bit with the driver or even take 3W or Hybo off the tee to sacrifice distance for accuracy on some holes with less flexibility in the fairway. This next off-season I am going to do some serious work to build on the progress that I have made this year.

I have found I really need to be patient with this club. If I am I do not get alot of distance on my drives ( 200-225) but I am in the fairway ( or just off it). If I try to push it to get distance I am successful by keeping it straight maybe 1 out of 5 times with the other 4 resulting in a push that sends the ball right and to the next fairway. At this point, since we are so close to the MC I am going to go with the accuracy vs the distance and after I might work on it some more.

I have found I really need to be patient with this club. If I am I do not get alot of distance on my drives ( 200-225) but I am in the fairway ( or just off it). If I try to push it to get distance I am successful by keeping it straight maybe 1 out of 5 times with the other 4 resulting in a push that sends the ball right and to the next fairway. At this point, since we are so close to the MC I am going to go with the accuracy vs the distance and after I might work on it some more.

straight and 215 is always better than hitting 3 off the tee.

Its a bummer to see some struggling with this driver. I had a pretty easy transition to this driver and have had some decent success with it. I have a mid-high flight that holds its line pretty well even in the wind. I don't see any more distance than I was getting before, but I would say that it works a little better for me in the wind than my previous driver just for the fact that it has a slightly lower flight and I get a little more roll out of it.

I am playing in a county tournament on Friday. Part of me is giving serious consideration to throwing this in the bag. While it's not nearly as forgiving as the AMP Cell is, I believe the lower spin head just sets up better for me at the moment. Going to have to bring it out to the range a couple nights this week and give it a go. I'm not reaching areas of the course that I was reaching routinely last year with this club and it's frustrating. There has always been a love/hate relationship with this driver, I love it when all is good, and we don't speak nicely to each other when things aren't. I think that is what some of you are seeing now. But when hit on the screws this club just performs.

I am playing in a county tournament on Friday. Part of me is giving serious consideration to throwing this in the bag. While it's not nearly as forgiving as the AMP Cell is, I believe the lower spin head just sets up better for me at the moment. Going to have to bring it out to the range a couple nights this week and give it a go. I'm not reaching areas of the course that I was reaching routinely last year with this club and it's frustrating. There has always been a love/hate relationship with this driver, I love it when all is good, and we don't speak nicely to each other when things aren't. I think that is what some of you are seeing now. But when hit on the screws this club just performs.

Very well said Capt.!!

Here is another update from me...

I am finally at a point where I cn say I am comfortable with this driver. In the beginning, I was trying to overdo it and reach the yardages everyone else was and that just was not working for me. I settled down and worked at it and now we get along just fine. I am not booming the ball but I am placing it in the fairway. Kinda the difference between the flashy deep threat receiver and the guy who goes over the middle and gets you the first down. I look forward to working more with it and seeing if my good fortune can continue.
so you comparing yourself to Wes Welker, I like it. The distance will come with consistent moves

Trying hanging back a little on the inside of the right leg.
Any consistency I thought I had with this driver went out the window in league tonight. Still managed a 44 with 3 penalty strokes off the tee. That tells you right there that if I could have kept the ball in play off the tee I would have had a great night instead of just good. Just probably a down night tho. Not gonna get too worked up over it yet.
that's golf Brad, just keep swinging and it will come together

What is your ball flight?
I'm still seeing good results with it....mid high balls that carry a long way....I've gone from averaging 245 to 263 according to Golfshot stats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
glad to hear it TBT. Keep it going

As you we closer to the MC, if you stay on this road you'll see increases in distance

My ball flight is low...doesn't even qualify as mid. Goes out a bit then nose dives. Hit 2 other driverw during the round with no issues.

My ball flight is low...doesn't even qualify as mid. Goes out a bit then nose dives. Hit 2 other driverw during the round with no issues.

Same swing with the Cleveland and you get good results?

played 36 in the heat today and I must admit I swung it pretty dang well. I love this driver! My miss is typically a heel fade, that fans out a bit, mainly because I have a tendency to stand too close. Had four drives over 300, a lot in the 290 range, and one stretching out to 332 yards. I seriously can't ask for a better driver coming from an awesome company for this Morgan cup.

Yeah im certainly not changing my swing at all between these drivers...at least not yet

His swing(from my untrained eye) and tee height were the same.

I tried to hit it 3 times push power fade and then 2 duck hooks.

Dan was the only one who actually hit it anywhere and it fell out of the sky when it reached peak height

Back