2013 Morgan Cup - The Ultimate Amateur Golf Event

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's called golf my friend and we hope the game that we know and love shows up on the day we want it to! All we can do before that is prepare our best. You have good history behind you buddy in this event, you will be a.o.k. I feel!

lol funny thing is last year exactly one week before the MC I was on the range, shanking 75% of my balls and then I showed up and played the best golf of my life. I honestly think I'm in the same boat as P4B, I am just a horrible range golfer.

Im doing the same thing Bradd. Shank every other shot on the range and yet playing some pretty good golf. Played 9 the other night and the guy I played shot a 40. I beat him 4&3. Went to the range twice this week and shanked balls all over

I have never hit well on the range, it's just not something I do well.

Lack of focus, lack of trying, no idea. I just am miserable.

That's interesting that so many have issues on the range but then can transform everything on the course. Would had never thought that.

That's interesting that so many have issues on the range but then can transform everything on the course. Would had never thought that.

WOuld you like to play your round out here on a range and see how you do? I might select a different course then. LOL

WOuld you like to play your round out here on a range and see how you do? I might select a different course then. LOL

Actually yes! I think I'm the opposite of everyone else as I tend to hit better shots on the range than the course. I guess I'm just a bit more free in thinking and body motion on the range, being there are no OB stakes and hazards! Ha!

Actually yes! I think I'm the opposite of everyone else as I tend to hit better shots on the range than the course. I guess I'm just a bit more free in thinking and body motion on the range, being there are no OB stakes and hazards! Ha!

Good!! I will find a nice challenging range for us ! :D

After shooting 79 Sunday and then going out to the range last night and chunking 90% of my shots I have decided I'm done with the range from here til the MC. Every time I go out there I hit the ball terribly and it gets me frustrated but when I go out to the course I hit the ball completely differently. Not sure if it is a focus issue or what. Definitely need to get it worked out in the next month though. On the plus side my putting is getting a lot better and I'm finally adjusting well to the Betti!

I think this is an excellent plan. Stay away from the range and reps for five weeks. Playing golf on course will be enough.

I think this is an excellent plan. Stay away from the range and reps for five weeks. Playing golf on course will be enough.

Yep yep. Range just discourages me.

Speaking of courses....hmmm.

TB Sat AM then Caladonia Sat PM & Sun AM. What say you?

Yep yep. Range just discourages me.

Speaking of courses....hmmm.

TB Sat AM then Caladonia Sat PM & Sun AM. What say you?

I like it. True Blue is a great scramble course. Hopefully there would be some type of setup at Caledonia on Sunday morning to warm up under that arrangement.

I like it. True Blue is a great scramble course. Hopefully there would be some type of setup at Caledonia on Sunday morning to warm up under that arrangement.

The range issue was a concern I had as well. Might even have to warm up at TB then drive over.

I think that Caladonia would be phenomenal for AS and singles. Can't just bomb and spray driver like you can a bit at TB. Caladonia is a legit shot makers course.

Outside of warming up, my range time is pretty much done. I will go and play the local lit up par 3 course at night to work on my irons and play full rounds on the weekend to get ready from here on out.

Last edited:
Glad to know I'm not the only one with range issues. I will definitely just be sticking to the course from now on. Plus, it will save me a lot of money in range balls!

On a side note, I do get to play at a course here in my hometown that is EXTREMELY exclusive on Sunday for the first time, the course is very well known in the area for its layout, but on top of that it is known to have one of the best practice ranges in a very wide radius. My brother says it is like practicing at Augusta's range, and while I'm sure that is not the case it is definitely saying a lot, and they have unlimited range balls. He has a membership there for being an executive at his business so he is taking me out there and I will definitely be taking advantage of their range at least once. I don't think I can afford their $8,000/yr membership fees, that is the junior rate! Anyone over 30 years old is $12,000/yr. This course will definitely be some great prep for the MC, he and I are planning on doing some match play.

The range issue was a concern I had as well. Might even have to warm up at TB then drive over.

I think that Caladonia would be phenomenal for AS and singles. Can't just bomb and spray driver like you can a bit at TB. Caladonia is a legit shot makers course.

Sounds like most of the guys here don't need a range considering the shots they hit on em! You will be fine.

I will still use the range for a quick warm up for short wedge shots and thats it before each round. Then lots of chipping and putting because that can really build my confidence around the greens

Sounds like most of the guys here don't need a range considering the shots they hit on em! You will be fine.

I know I need to hit at least a dozen balls, if not more, to warm up and get the lower back moving the way it should. Without that warm up time I am in trouble for a few holes.

It's definitely starting to get more into tuneup time than it is major swing change time. I'm sure none of us will stop trying to improve over the next month, but we're pretty much at the point of playing with what we've got.

It's definitely starting to get more into tuneup time than it is major swing change time. I'm sure none of us will stop trying to improve over the next month, but we're pretty much at the point of playing with what we've got.

Very true Wade. If you are starting anything major in a swing change now, you are probably in a lot of trouble.

I loved the greens at true blue last year. I putt really well. How much difference are there between the 2 courses? Same green speed and grass and whatnot?

They were very similar, but Caledonia was the slower of the 2.

i don't remember the speed of the greens being a topic of discussion at all last year.

you don't forget fast greens when they are absurdly fast. i've played on quicker greens before for sure...

You are right...they weren't absurdly fast....but they were quicker than most people play on their home course...or at least mine. The main thing for me is they roll very true and are fast enough for the ball to hold it's line.

I have never hit well on the range, it's just not something I do well.

Lack of focus, lack of trying, no idea. I just am miserable.

I suck at the range....I have never been a range rat....I end up just beating balls until I am worn out with no real plan or idea of what I trying to acomplish.

D95D31DF_zps0551c343.jpg

They were very similar, but Caledonia was the slower of the 2.

You are right...they weren't absurdly fast....but they were quicker than most people play on their home course...or at least mine. The main thing for me is they roll very true and are fast enough for the ball to hold it's line.

I suck at the range....I have never been a range rat....I end up just beating balls until I am worn out with no real plan or idea of what I trying to acomplish.

D95D31DF_zps0551c343.jpg

Agreed about Caledonia, but in her defense it poured before and during our round there....

I know I need to hit at least a dozen balls, if not more, to warm up and get the lower back moving the way it should. Without that warm up time I am in trouble for a few holes.

Totally true. I don't need alot, but I find that if I just show and go my first few holes are shaky

I would really like the ability to hit some balls before the first rounds of the day.

With the arrival of this;

800be361-9019-4439-b80d-965c28ada5c7_zps464c61c7.jpg

This is now locked, loaded and ready for Myrtle!

photo4_zpsbab3627b.jpg

Congrats Ryan! Sweet looking bag and weapons!

Set up looks great Ryan!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back