Cleveland 588 Altitude Hybrid Irons Preview

Thanks for the replies, sounds good. I have been pondering replacing long irons with hybrids, maybe switching to a full set of these would turn out better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the replies, sounds good. I have been pondering replacing long irons with hybrids, maybe switching to a full set of these would turn out better.

Go full set. Unregrettable.

I'm really starting to ponder these more and more. I've never been a big fan of hybrids and I've always tended to hit irons better. Has anyone else been in the same boat that has tried there out? I'm not 100% sure what the retail is on these things in Canada but they are on directbuy for under $600 with the graphite shafts.

Has anyone found the shorter irons significantly less versatile?

I'm really starting to ponder these more and more. I've never been a big fan of hybrids and I've always tended to hit irons better. Has anyone else been in the same boat that has tried there out? I'm not 100% sure what the retail is on these things in Canada but they are on directbuy for under $600 with the graphite shafts.

Has anyone found the shorter irons significantly less versatile?

I'm traditionally that way with hybrids, extremely hot or ice cold, long irons have always been much more consistent for me.

I've got no problems with the short irons. I can hit every shot with them that I can my i20's or J40's.

I'm traditionally that way with hybrids, extremely hot or ice cold, long irons have always been much more consistent for me.

Did you have issues adjusting to the altitudes? have you played steel and graphite?

Did you have issues adjusting to the altitudes? have you played steel and graphite?

No issues because of the lack of offset. The looks take you aback for a second, but crushing a 4i is a quick remedy for that. I'm a divot taker, and there are ZERO issues there with these 3-P. As to the shafts, yes, I've played both.

Back to the conversation from last night, I think I am going to move the 7-PW of my HB3 set back into my bag for a few rounds. They aren't the Altitudes, but they are similar.

I may have to swing by Golftown on the way home and see if they have any there to hit. I like clean looking irons but I like lower scores a lot more!

I hope these things are no where in sight at the Illinois Invite. I don't want to like them. Please don't show them to me, I don't want to improve at the cost of having iron covers.

I hope these things are no where in sight at the Illinois Invite. I don't want to like them. Please don't show them to me, I don't want to improve at the cost of having iron covers.

Um, I don't use covers on mine and neither does JB. Thats only a vegan thing.

They will be there staring at you buddy. But no iron covers on mine.

For the record.....I kinda stopped using the covers.

#shovelswithcharacter

For the record.....I kinda stopped using the covers.

#shovelswithcharacter

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat? This makes me happy. Truly #TeamAltitude.

Why the cover hate?! My brother used to game Hibores and I've seen a few other sets as well.. they can get all dinged up pretty easily.

Why the cover hate?! My brother used to game Hibores and I've seen a few other sets as well.. they can get all dinged up pretty easily.

Ummmm.....because I think they are ugly. :alien:

hehe

I think I might cover em up. If for nothing else, to drive Jman batty.

I think I might cover em up. If for nothing else, to drive Jman batty.

It will, you know it will. :alien:

Will they fit in THP headcovers? Could show off the entire collection at once

Will they fit in THP headcovers? Could show off the entire collection at once

They definitely would, and the THP covers make awesome hybrid covers as we've seen already. But my babies are staying in my putter cover collection on the shelf. :alien:

Go full set. Unregrettable.

I just have to find a place to try them out first, that's one drawback to living in the sticks.

Played 18 today with the 4i Altitude and another great score. It seems like my limited time with these prior to today was no fluke, so just ordered the 3i and 5i. I just keep gravitating to the club on tee shots for short par 4's and second shots on par 5's. It performed out of the rough just as well as the fairway and tee for me. I'm probably doing this the most expensive and dumb way by ordering them individually with C. Kua shafts, but that combo is working well for me and I can't demo the stock shaft in stiff since no shop near me has any, so I'm fine with doing this incrementally. The only miss I got a couple times is topped shots, which I'm pretty sure is from me looking up too soon to watch the awesome ball flight.

I can only say that for me, this club is instant confidence. I bought the 4i on purpose, to see if this club could really deliver in a slot that I've always struggled with. It has delivered and as a result, I want to replace all my mid and long irons with them. We'll see about the shorter irons; right now my current set seems to be working well so I have some time to work that out.

The big things that stick out for me are the feel (it's just comfortable to swing and ball impact is very soft), forgiveness (it just wanted to get the ball straight, even when I put a terrible swing on it), no offset and that I can get it bent for lie and loft.

I'm just glad I had a chance to hit them, as I'm not sure I would have considered them otherwise.

I just have to find a place to try them out first, that's one drawback to living in the sticks.

IL Invitational next weekend. You can play the round with my clubs.

With all the talk about these in various threads, I'm dying to try these. I played like dung last weekend with my mashies. If these are as solid as everybody says, maybe they are part of the answer.......

IL Invitational next weekend. You can play the round with my clubs.

Thanks for the generous offer, not in the cards for me right now, but I plan to get to a THP event as soon as I can.

Back