Taylormade R9 Irons

Sorry guys when it comes to a thread like this, it will go back on course. Lets get back on topic of the R9s

lol Claire.

There a few good reasons that this thread should go back on course. First, KK's are bad for you even though they taste like warm crack on dough when that light is on. They dont help your game. The R9's are good for you and your game. While I love KK's I have none around me so I cant eat them anyway. I have the R9's here with me so I can eat them. I can even play them. And today I will do just that. Hopefully these are clubs that I can learn to work and my game can grow into them. Better that my game grow and not my waiste line!

lol Claire.

There a few good reasons that this thread should go back on course. First, KK's are bad for you even though they taste like warm crack on dough when that light is on. They dont help your game. The R9's are good for you and your game. While I love KK's I have none around me so I cant eat them anyway. I have the R9's here with me so I can eat them. I can even play them. And today I will do just that. Hopefully these are clubs that I can learn to work and my game can grow into them. Better that my game grow and not my waiste line!

Kevin, Put the R9'd down and walk away...

Just wanted to give a quick thought on the R9's. I went out to play today and bagged the R9's as there was no way I could leave them home. That probably wasnt a good idea seeing its been a while since Ive hit any balls. I was VERY erratic and striking the ball poorely all day. It was one of those days where our balls kept dissapearing in the leaves or just in genral. I was very frusterated. The few good strikes I made with the R9's were very sweet. I can definitely tell a difference over the Burners. I feel like Ive gone from a club that does everything for you to one that lets you have a little more control while still being a little more fogiving. I wish I would have played better to get a better feel for them.

Just wanted to give a quick thought on the R9's. I went out to play today and bagged the R9's as there was no way I could leave them home. That probably wasnt a good idea seeing its been a while since Ive hit any balls. I was VERY erratic and striking the ball poorely all day. It was one of those days where our balls kept dissapearing in the leaves or just in genral. I was very frusterated. The few good strikes I made with the R9's were very sweet. I can definitely tell a difference over the Burners. I feel like Ive gone from a club that does everything for you to one that lets you have a little more control while still being a little more fogiving. I wish I would have played better to get a better feel for them.

That ends up being frustrating. Hopefully you will still get good weather to enjoy them.

I hope so. I noticed that the grooves look a lot different on the R9s. Is that becuase they the new grooves that conform to the new rules?

I hope so. I noticed that the grooves look a lot different on the R9s. Is that becuase they the new grooves that conform to the new rules?

I do not have a set of R7's to compare, so I am not sure.

Do the R9's conform to the new rules for next year?

Yes they do.

not sure my page has r9 TP AW. what wedge is that in the pic?

Retief-Goosen-Irons-Pres_600.jpg

The wedges pictured are the TM Z groove wedges.

P.S. Those R9 TP "B's" look awesome.

Last edited:
I see from Kevin's comparision that he Burner irons are about 1/2 inch longer than the R9. If that is the case ( and I have heard the same from others) why does TM list both 7 irons as 37 inches on their website spec page. That is misleading.

Hey JB, can you check into that to make sure we have current information or see what gives?

I have sent them the email and should get a response tomorrow.

Thanks JB! Not to be anal about it, but I was curious.

I have them both here now I can measure them if you want. If someone knows the exact way they take the measure. I havent done a measure yet but I know for a fact theyre not the same length.

I am not sure exactly where the clubs are measured either Kevin. Are all the clubs about 1/2 inch shorter in the R9? Perhaps that explains why the Burners have been touted as the longest in distance b/c they were also the longest in measurement too. I wonder why they made them shorter if the burners give so much more distance. Perhaps they are shorter for more control? I dont know, just speculating.

They are longer in shafts and they are also strong lofted compared to a lot on the market right now. That is what makes them the "longest iron".

Thanks for the info JB.

I'll compare a few of the other irons and see how they compare. At the half lol.

So, when measuring the length of a club they are actually only measuring the shaft itself and not including the head....right? Or, does it depend on the manufacturer?

The Burners are a 1/2" longer. Both stores I saw them at said the same thing and when I had my fitting last week the fitter even mentioned they were a 1/2" longer. Maybe that is the real reason the Burners play longer?

Ok I compared the 5,7 and 9 from both sets just now. The 5 and 7 are both around 1/2" longer on the Burners and the difference on the 9 irons is less. Maybe quarter of an inch.

Onthe European TM site, they list the 7i for the R9 as 36.75", which is .25" less than it is listed on the U.S. site.

TaylorMade Golf - Irons - R9 - Specifications

But I'm wondering if that is a mistake, because the 7i in the R9 TP is supposed to be 36.75" (both U.S. and European sites).

Unfortunately, the European site doesn't list specs for the 09 Burners. The Burner Plus irons are 37.5" (7i) on both U.S. and European sites.

after reading the reviews, these irons look promising. I'm a 23 handicap playing mp-52(really shouldn't be). Are these r9s too much club for me? Should i go with the 09 burners? Are those more forgiving than the r9? I just wanna hit straight. I was fitted with the mizuno shaft optimizer for the kbs tour stiff soft stepped.

after reading the reviews, these irons look promising. I'm a 23 handicap playing mp-52(really shouldn't be). Are these r9s too much club for me? Should i go with the 09 burners? Are those more forgiving than the r9? I just wanna hit straight. I was fitted with the mizuno shaft optimizer for the kbs tour stiff soft stepped.

I think it is a matter of opinion. However every 23 capper is different. I recommend hitting both and seeing which ones fit your game a little better. The Burners are certainly more forgiving, but the R9s have a little bit of "Do it all" mentality.

I think it is a matter of opinion. However every 23 capper is different. I recommend hitting both and seeing which ones fit your game a little better. The Burners are certainly more forgiving, but the R9s have a little bit of "Do it all" mentality.

Would you say the r9s are more in the category of an mx200/ap1s or are they more in the ap2/mp52 camp in terms of forgiveness? I appreciate your help, definitely will hit both, but i want to avoid the burners if possible, topline is too thick for me.

Back